Honored Contributor

Top Gun: Maverick - Finally Here!

I know we've had threads about this already, but I thought we could talk about this movie now that it's here. DH and I are seeing this tonight. I can't wait! We did watch the original last night.

After watching the original, and watching trailers for the sequel over and over I have two thoughts: I wish Meg Ryan could have come back. It seems realistic that her character of Carol would be in it. And it will be interesting to see how Maverick and Penny interact. Can they duplicate the chemistry Maverick had with Charlie?

DH just keeps saying how unrealistic this is. We know. Maverick would probably be an admiral or retired by now. But I tell him we're on "Tom Cruise" time! We will just sit back and enjoy! 

DD's friend saw it last night. She said it was the best movie she's ever seen. She is in her 20's and has no interest in Navy flying!

*******The following paragraph will be a spoiler/speculation about one of the characters from the original movie. PLEASE don't open it if you want to be surprised!!!

Spoiler
Tom Skeritt, who played "Viper," is now 88. He has been cagey when asked if his character was in the sequel. Last week in an interview he said he spent a good day with Tom Cruise. Most agree with me that he will probably be attending the funeral. Whoever has died is special to Maverick, as you see his reaction in the previews. If Viper is there, it is someone important. I think we will be saying goodbye to Iceman. I won't know any of this for sure until tonight, but it is fun to speculate!

If you are also seeing it, enjoy!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Top Gun: Maverick - Finally Here!

So, you must be home by now .... how was the movie?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

So, you must be home by now .... how was the movie?  

@Tinkrbl44 - she posted early this morning.  They are seeing it tonight. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Really looking forward to seeing this but will have to wait until sometime

next week. 

Honored Contributor

Hated the first one, not my cup of tea!!!

Honored Contributor

My local movie reviewer gave it a '10' out of '10'.

He's never done that before.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who saw preview two days ago; said it was spectacular ( especially flying sequences).  Many of the military and their families in Ridgecrest saw it for free on Wednesday and Thursday.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had plans to see it with my cousin for nearly two years.  Now that it has finally been released, my schedule is full.  Hope it is still at the theater by the time I get a free night.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Seems like it would be a movie for the guys...not a chick flick.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Seems like it would be a movie for the guys...not a chick flick.

@SilleeMee  Well, I'm not a guy, but I would like to see this as opposed to what I think of a chick flick (Sappy love story)