Honored Contributor

Re: Top Chef Season 14,Episode 11. *Spoilers*

If you have a Fire TV Stick, or Roku or similar device there's a Bravo TV app you can add to it that will let you watch the shows whenever you wish to. That's how I watch LCK these days. I no longer have to record them or schedule my life around the programs, I can just fire up the app on my Fire TV Stick and there they are waiting for me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I have to go back and watch the episode again. I was only half watching last night.

Working and watching is not good, lol

I was thrilled for Sheldon! He is my favorite and hoping will be the Top Chef.

I agree how did they not recognize the voices of those working next to them, that was not a solid wall. Only Sheldon knew it was his wife.

It is Emily you see in the previews. I saw a longer clip on another site. Brooke could still be the one coming back though. Emily is probably working with Sheldon for the finale Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see John and Katsuji paired up in the finale. Those two don't like one another at all. I'm not sure how they'd ever convince John to pick Katsuji, but it could make for some fun TV.

I'm happy that either Brooke or Casey will be in the finale. I'd prefer both of them, but whichever one makes it, I'll root for her. I'm kind of surpised anyone picked Emily to work with. She's better than Amanda, but that's not saying a lot. Amanda's franticness in the kitchen likely moved her way down the pick list.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I wonder how Sheldon ended up with Emily. Perhaps the first QF in Mexico determines who gets first pick of who can help them.

Normally it is the last few chefs eliminated who come back to help correct?

I wonder who gets Silva?

Is there only 1 or 2 more episodes left?

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I'm kind of surpised anyone picked Emily to work with. She's better than Amanda, but that's not saying a lot. Amanda's franticness in the kitchen likely moved her way down the pick list.

Two thoughts - the chefs may have only had the choice of a limited amount of chefs or perhap Emily is particulartly good/efficient at prep work.  I remember someone last year (or year before?) choosing some young chef for that reason.

I did want to comment on your previous comment about Shirley and how the judges are being "generous".  Shirley has always been a strong chef and, after Sheldon, would be my pick to win out of all of the possible remaining chefs (yes, above Brooke).  I just looked up Shirley's original season, in which she was only in the bottom once until she was let go in the semi-finals.  Of course, this was the year Nicholas beat Nina, so that entire season was marred a little.  Should have been Shirley and Nina in that finale.

Honored Contributor

All of the chefs on Top Chef are very good. My big issue with Shirley was about, three weeks ago when she made the tough, undercooked, oversized, overseasoned lamb and still survived. When the judges are dismissing chefs for one less flake of salt than they feel there should be, to have made all of those mistakes and survive seemed like they were favoring her. The judges had to borrow her chef's knife just to slice the food she gave them up small enough to be able to taste it. I'm not sure we've ever seen a chef make so many mistakes in one challenge and survive.

I suspect Emily got picked as you said for her basic skills. Her big issue seemed to be a lack of vision., but she's a decent cook. If one of the finalists relies on her merely as a cooking/prepping robot and not a visionary she might be pretty helpful.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

gardenman wrote:

All of the chefs on Top Chef are very good. My big issue with Shirley was about, three weeks ago when she made the tough, undercooked, oversized, overseasoned lamb and still survived. When the judges are dismissing chefs for one less flake of salt than they feel there should be, to have made all of those mistakes and survive seemed like they were favoring her. The judges had to borrow her chef's knife just to slice the food she gave them up small enough to be able to taste it. I'm not sure we've ever seen a chef make so many mistakes in one challenge and survive.

I suspect Emily got picked as you said for her basic skills. Her big issue seemed to be a lack of vision., but she's a decent cook. If one of the finalists relies on her merely as a cooking/prepping robot and not a visionary she might be pretty helpful.

Yeah, really.  IMO, Shirley should have been gone and that was beyond ridiculous.   Granted, I am not a fan of her because she never shuts up but, being objective, she should have been gone already.

Just watched current ep last night and they did send the right one home but I was hoping that Shirley would have choked and done the worst.   I tend to FF through anything that is Shirley-intensive now because she drives me crazy.

I am hoping for Sheldon for the win.  I haven't watched LCK at all because I thought you had to just watch online and I tend not to watch tv online.  Will have to check my Roku for this.

Honored Contributor

it would be quite interesting if the OPPOSING chef had to choose his opponents sous chefs for the finale.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When they used to do the blogs, all of the judges said that there are really no bad dishes.  All of the food is great, but they have to judge every aspect and find things wrong with each dish.

Tom will always vote for the underseasoned dish every time.  If you eat in his restaurants, you will note that they do not put salt and pepper on the tables.  For me, both meals I had at his restaurants were seasoned perfectly.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

One of my pet peeves is a chef who insists only his seasoning is correct.  I'm a big salt and pepper user. To most people my use of both is too much so when I'm cooking for others I scale it back, but I find most food I eat out to be underseasoned for my tastes. And truth be told there are those who like food saltier and more highly seasoned than even I do. A few season back Britney Haynes on Big Brother complained that Cheez-its weren't salty enough and she wished they made an extra salty version. They're pretty darn salty even for my tastes, but she wanted more. I have a nephew who uses hot sauce like it's going out of style. His mother buys two bottles of the stuff a week for him.

Some chefs view their dishes as a work of art and any tampering with it by a diner is like someone changing the Mona Lisa's smile to suit them. In the real world, things like basic seasoning (salt/pepper/hot sauce) are things that can be easily adjusted by the diner at the table to suit their tastes. Refusing to let them do so is kind of insulting to the diner. "No. You'll eat it like I like it or you can go elsewhere." Fine, see ya.

I'm more of a diner type eater where the food arrives minimally seasoned so it's not too seasoned for anyone, and each diner can then add additional salt, pepper, hot sauce, whatever, to suit their tastes. Put a dish before a hundred diners and ask them to rate the seasoning on a scale from one to ten with five being perfectly seasoned and one being under seasoned and ten being over seasoned and you'd get grades all over the range due to variations in taste. Some would grade it a one, while others would grade it a ten. You'd get a whole lot of grades in the three to eight range, but there would be a few ones and tens mixed in also. There is no "perfect" seasoning. Different people have different tastes. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!