Trusted Contributor

Top Chef 12/8/16 Episode 2 Spoilers

I thought this was a good episode. I wonder if will continue to be rookie vs veterans. 

The rookies do not have their groove yet for working together. 

I do not know all the names yet of the rookies, but I think the chef who cannot cook vegetables should have been the one eliminated. 

I will tey to watch last chance kitchen 

Honored Contributor

Re: Top Chef 12/8/16 Episode 2 Spoilers

I thought it was a good episode. My two favorites of the returning chefs were Brook and Casey and they've now won weeks one and two, so the season is off to a good start for me. I don't think there was even one negative comment towards the food the vets cooked. That was pretty impressive. (To be honest I thought Casey's biscuit dough looked way too dry and overworked when she was making it, but apparently it came out okay.)

Last Chance Kitchen was kind of funny. The loser would have won but for forgetting to use one ingredient that was arguably the fastest and easiest to use.

Eliminations are (I believe) still done in consultation with production and not totally food based. The girl who got eliminated was kind of blank while the veg burning guy does bring more life to the show. That could have very well been the deciding factor in who got eliminated. I don't think the veg burner will be there much longer though unless he gets his act together. I thought the pork cooking guy really was in trouble. When your meal is so raw it's inedible that's usually the kiss of death, but once again, he has more of a personality than the girl, so he got spared, but he'd better improve a lot and soon, or he'll be gone too.

Viewers (and the chefs) always have to remember that this is a TV show first and foremost and the producers want entertainment value, so they cast the more flamboyant types and favor them a bit. It's a TV show that features a cooking contest, not a cooking contest that happens to be filmed. If you're a calm, quiet, methodical chef who simply goes about their business and turns out good food without any drama, you'd better be perfect in every comp, for if there's anything at all they can find to dismiss you for, they will. If you're a somewhat out of control raving lunatic who's entertaining, you'll be given more leeway in making mistakes and hang around longer simply because you're a better character for the show.

You could easily assemble a cast of quiet, professional chefs who simply go about their business in a quiet, professional manner, barely speaking as they perform their tasks. It would make for a very boring show to watch however. Reality show producers want conflict, drama and excitement. If you're not bringing that to the show, you'd better be perfect every week. Raw pork guy and burned veggie guy probably survived this week because they're better characters on the show. They've got to pick up their game however, or even that won't help them over the long term. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

thanks for the thread @lenapecci.

i am nominating you for "official spoiler weekly thread poster." Smiley Wink

i am really pulling for simeon from the vets side. i LOVED him on his season and was so sorry he was eliminated.

on the newbies side i am liking jim......a bit geeky, but loveable. lol

that was some good looking food that the vets served up for their challenge.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Thank you @sunshine45 I will do the thread each week. For the next two weeks or so I will start it on Friday night just due to my work hours. My shift is changing when it does I will start it on the night of!,  

i like Jim too. I am hoping they will stop the team challenges for awhile. Maybe this week will be individual challenge.  

Honored Contributor

Is Tom still doing a blog?  He used to dissect the decision process really well in his blog each week.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN