Honored Contributor

Re: Tonight's Little People Big World 10/6

@mousiegirl wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

I read that Matt really wants to marry Karen though she claims she's fine with things the way they are. I find that difficult to believe.

@colliemom4   I have the feeling from what I have seen and heard, that she doesn't want to marry, but it could be a way of dragging the storyline out, and I am not on pins and needles about it, LOL!

@mousiegirl  I think her being the official wife she'd feel like she has more of a sense of power and cash lol.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I'm going to write a novel, so my apologies up front.😊 

I wrote at length on another thread, maybe last year, about the perceptions of the family members... particularly Amy and Matt.  At the time I noticed Xfinity On Demand had added all the seasons, and I really had too much time on my hands, so I went back and watched most of them.   

There's so much there we don't see mentioned now.   For example, how little interaction Matt had with the kids or Amy...  how distracted he was with wanting and focusing on his own projects, often hiding them or sneaking them in when Amy didn't know.   

In early shows, the kids made mention of how unusual it was to see him attending their events, and even then he would show up and then leave (he did the same thing with vacations, too).   

Also, Amy sometimes had to not only take care of all the household needs and the children's needs but also at times had 2 jobs to help support the family.   

I think it's eye-opening to go back, now, and watch some of the early shows, see how much she took care of everyone while Matt went off on his adventures and projects, some that benefited the family but not all.   Amy was treated as "second best" or a second thought in so many ways.   

I think Matt was and is usually narcissistic and selfish.

Speaking of vacations...  he would plan those on his own, and then expect everyone to go along -- sometimes it worked out, sometimes not.   I came across the show 'way back when the first episodes were new, and it became, I guess, a guilty pleasure, so I've always watched as time passed and the kids grew up.   

I agree with those who said that the editing has favored Matt significantly, particularly in this short season...  and I believe the editing was done that way since there were few episodes, due to the pandemic, and there was a need to "amplify" as much "drama" as the producers could find.

There's background there, as with all human beings, that gets lost.   Over time I've seen that Amy's family, when she was growing up, seemed to be a wee bit cold and demanding, and she's made mention that they were strict about meticulous housekeeping so she never wanted her kids to grow up feeling that pressure.  (Yes, the house was messy, I know.)    She also was very insecure and had (still has) an underlying sadness, and personally I've seen a lot of pain there when she would open up about not feeling "good enough."   She gave herself wholly to making a home for the family, and I'm not sure any of them appreciated it -- or, at least, expressed that appreciation.   

After so many years of marriage, then what appears to be Matt's inappropriate relationship with an employee, then a difficult divorce, her mother's grave illness and death, her father experiencing illness and loss, and then a major move with apparently no one in the family helping her, while she also was trying to establish her own business and to "be in charge" for the first time in her life, and also to be present in a new and healthier relationship (I actually do think she and Chris are a good match, she's with someone who shares so many of her interests, and I think the affection is genuine) ... those are some of life's major stressors and can bring us to our knees.   

She's been working through grief in many ways for many people and things.  Grief affects us and amplifies emotions, wreaks havoc with our thought processes.   So much of all this stress was at the same time Matt decided to pressure her to make a major financial decision right in the middle of last year's Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.

It's just another example of the many times he decided on something he wanted, and everyone and everything else be danged because it was going to be his way.  That attitude goes all the way back to when he proposed and wanted them to elope rather than have the wedding Amy wanted.

Amy started Facebook chats a while back, I think last spring or so.   She and her friend Lisa are definitely not tech wizards and they have their share of problems😉🙃 -- and Amy at times gets distracted, so the chats are uneven, but I think some of them shed light on things the viewers don't know or think about.   

I don't see her playing the victim -- I think the producers are making it look that way, though.   She has her moments when the negativity shows up, but just as in that very last scene in the finale she seems to try to be thoughtful, introspective.   She's far from perfect, but watching the old shows and several of those video chats gives a different perspective.   

Again, I think the editing is not a good or realistic reflection of the interpersonal relationships and I don't think that's healthy for any of the people involved.   Reality tv has perils...  in many ways, I wish the family would step away from it, now, so they can nurture and be happy in their new lives.  Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to offer a different view.

@dooBdoo   I very much appreciate your post, thank you, and have been posting the same for years.  I remember the seasons well, and Amy going with Matt's flow, what else could she do, raising four kids, taking care of six people, and working, I remember.

Matt was the one who was always complaining, criticizing and nagging her, waving his crutches around here and there, and I thought during those episodes I couldn't live that way, sits on his throne issuing edicts, wanting everything now, on his terms.  I was proud of her for not letting Matt get away, once again, with bullying her into something he wanted, which wasn't good for her.

Honored Contributor

dooBdoo

Thank you for your thoughts and summary.

I have not watched the show for many years. I did watch in the beginning. But there was one episode, the family was going on vacation. Don't remember where but it was a big event. They were at the beach. There were just the kids and Amy. Matt was going to join them. Well, he never did. It was sad. The kids were disappointed. 

I could not believe Matt just blew them off like that. He made no effort to show up. I stopped watching after that. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@dooBdoo   I very much appreciate your post, thank you, and have been posting the same for years.  I remember the seasons well, and Amy going with Matt's flow, what else could she do, raising four kids, taking care of six people, and working, I remember.

Matt was the one who was always complaining, criticizing and nagging her, waving his crutches around here and there, and I thought during those episodes I couldn't live that way, sits on his throne issuing edicts, wanting everything now, on his terms.  I was proud of her for not letting Matt get away, once again, with bullying her into something he wanted, which wasn't good for her.

Thank you, @mousiegirl.😊   I've appreciated your posts over the years, and I agree with what you said here.   Although I understand not everyone would agree with me, I feel that Matt's "confessional" interview pieces are generally manipulative and disingenuous and they feed into the slant the shows have taken of late.   I think Amy's focus was her kids, so she had to tolerate everything else (or she thought she had to). 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

dooBdoo

Thank you for your thoughts and summary.

I have not watched the show for many years. I did watch in the beginning. But there was one episode, the family was going on vacation. Don't remember where but it was a big event. They were at the beach. There were just the kids and Amy. Matt was going to join them. Well, he never did. It was sad. The kids were disappointed. 

I could not believe Matt just blew them off like that. He made no effort to show up. I stopped watching after that. 

You're welcome, @drizzellla.😊  Yes, there were countless events like that.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

Thank you, @mousiegirl.😊   I've appreciated your posts over the years, and I agree with what you said here.   Although I understand not everyone would agree with me, I feel that Matt's "confessional" interview pieces are generally manipulative and disingenuous and they feed into the slant the shows have taken of late.   I think Amy's focus was her kids, so she had to tolerate everything else (or she thought she had to). 

@dooBdoo   Exactly.  I find myself muting Matt now, can't stand listening to his complaining about Amy.

Trusted Contributor

I might have missed a few minutes of one of the most recent shows, the one in which Amy was walking around the farmhouse for "the last time" and recalling some of the memories she had in that house for 30 years. 

Then, it hit me, that Zach had just told her and Matt that he probably wants to buy the farmhouse.  So, I wondered why she thinks she will never go back in that house again if it is going to be bought by one of her kids?  Whether Jeremy and his family, or Zach and his family  buy it and live there, won't she be going there to visit them?  It didn't make sense (to me) that she was saying she would never be in that house again.

That is why I started this post off with "I must have missed something!"  !!

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

I didn't watch the early years of this show  but after your post,i am wondering if all these years the show writers,etc...  could it be theydelibertly made Matt look bad for his story line  all these years so it was basic all about Amy  ?

I'm rambling on here with my thoughts.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo What a great post.  Thank you for saying so well all that I was thinking.

Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

I might have missed a few minutes of one of the most recent shows, the one in which Amy was walking around the farmhouse for "the last time" and recalling some of the memories she had in that house for 30 years. 

Then, it hit me, that Zach had just told her and Matt that he probably wants to buy the farmhouse.  So, I wondered why she thinks she will never go back in that house again if it is going to be bought by one of her kids?  Whether Jeremy and his family, or Zach and his family  buy it and live there, won't she be going there to visit them?  It didn't make sense (to me) that she was saying she would never be in that house again.

That is why I started this post off with "I must have missed something!"  !!

@123SuzyQ123   She will entertain at her new home, mentioned that in one of the episodes, so wouldn't have to go to the farm, and I don't blame her, too painful remembering all of the holiday celebrations over the years, and having to see Matt, has had enough of him, I am sure.