Honored Contributor

Tonight's Columbo on MeTV Fisher Stevens is the culprit

[ Edited ]

I can't recall this one. It's a much newer Columbo from when it was on regularly.

It stars Fisher Stevens as the murderer.  I'm going to watch it --- maybe I'll remember something about it, but maybe not. I didn't watch as many as the newer ones.

It's called Murder, Smoke and Shadows and this is the synoposis from IMdB:

"An egocentric wunderkind director murders a childhood friend who threatens to expose his negligent complicity in the death of his sister years earlier."   Anyone remember and like or dislike this one?

8:00 pm ET on MeTV

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097087/

Honored Contributor

Re: Tonight's Columbo on MeTV Fisher Stevens is the culprit

This was a good one!  I've seen it twice.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

This is one of the better Columbo episodes.  Fisher Stevens is great in this episode and tries to outsmart Columbo, but well, we know no one can. I liked this one due to the "Hollywood" back lot scenes.   Hallmark Channel just had a Columbo marathon and of course I had to watch most of them.

Valued Contributor

Cozi Tv has been showing the older Columbo shows now. I don't like the newer shows. I thought the writing and actors were much better in the old shows.

Respected Contributor

Just one more response---another Columbo fan here. So sad the way Peter Falk passed on. I understand they had an episode ready to go, but Peter had regressed to the point where he could no longer work. I have mixed feeling about a reboot, but maybe someone can pull it off. Any ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen that Fisher Stevens episode a few times.  It is good, but I prefer the older episodes.  Right now I'm watching Columbo on COZI - this one is with Jackie Cooper playing a senatorial candidate who says his life is threatened.

I don't think anyone else could play Columbo - there would be too much comparison to Peter Falk.

Respected Contributor

This was a reboot of the series.  Another good one from the 80's was with Deirdre Hall from Days of Our Lives.  I won't give it away,  but it's good.  

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

This was a reboot of the series.  Another good one from the 80's was with Deirdre Hall from Days of Our Lives.  I won't give it away,  but it's good.  

I remember that one, even though I wasn't a DOOL fan.

i'm recording the one Pearly mentioned because it doesn't sound familiar.

Honored Contributor

I won't ruin anything for @tansy, but although I enjoyed tonight's show with Fisher it's just not as clever as the earlier ones.  I didn't watch many of these "reboot" ones; I used to enjoy watching the earlier ones with my dad - when the later ones aired, I didn't ever watch much TV at that time.

The reason this one wasn't real clever is that early on Columbo finds out about the street that was made wet.  Well....then he knows a major fact to implicate Fisher Stevens and there isn't a whole lot for him to be figuring out cleverly after that.   I started thinking about the way more clever earlier episodes and the one with Ross Martin as the nephew or grandson or some relative of an art collector who killed the art collector because he was going to give away his valuable paintings rather than leave them to Ross Martin (who was an art critic or something as well as his relative). Wow- that ending - how Columbo trapped him - was super clever..  I won't give it away but will say it involved fingerprints and just about knocked my socks off the first time I ever saw it.

Tonight's episode was fun to watch - I agree with the poster who said the Hollywood stuff was pretty fun - and the ending, while not clever as to how Columbo figured things out - was pretty cool in the way it was explained to Fisher how he was trapped.   

I kept thinking, watching Fisher Stevens, that I never understood how Michelle Pfeiffer was attracted to him (they had a three-year relationship).   He is so slight - his physique is like a little boy's and not very manly. And according to his bio, he's only 5'7".  Not exactly a "hunk."    The role he played was kind of a young Steven Spielberg type.   I did really like how a lot of things in his life fell apart at the end, just as Columbo was about to bust him.  That was cool because he was such a manipulating loathsome character.    But bottom line is - a fun but not clever episode IMO.

Trusted Contributor

Fisher was a close friend of Carrie Fisher, spoke at her memorial.