Valued Contributor

Re: Tonight's Columbo - Robert Culp Villain

Missed the Colombo this morn.Were they the old or new ones.Just a few of th e new ones that I care for.
Do you have a favorite one? I'm not sure of one..love so many.
My husband favorite is easily the newer one with Johnny Cash as an evangelist.
Honored Contributor

@red&curly I dont think I can pick a favorite but I do love that Johnny Cash one. For not being an actor, I think Cash did a great job and I really like his song that plays throughout. Clever plot to-go almost got away with it.

Perhaps my favorite clever ending of one is where Ross Martin kills his uncle because he thinks he'll inherit all his art work. Martin was also a good villain. The ending was outstanding when Martin is caught because Columbo's fingerprints are on a painting frame that he had touched. WHen Martin accuses him of touching the frame to incriminate Martin, Columbo takes his hands out of his raincoat pockets to show he is wearing gloves and had to have touched the frame at an earlier time.

The 3 or 4 Columbos that starred Patrick McGoohan are also faves of mine. Patrick was great in those, just wonderful to watch, esp By Dawn's Early Light and Ashes to Ashes where he is a funeral director.
Respected Contributor

Robert Culp was in 3 at least that I remember, I have seen them so many times.

I liked Robert Conrad in the one about the gym owner, he looked really good in that one and didn't wear a ton of clothes. lol

Peter Falk met his second wife in Columbo where they starred together and of course she was in several of the shows...

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a huge Columbo fan and have seen them countless times.  I liked the one last night and the one where RC blackmails Patricia Crowley.  The third one I didn't like as much - I think it was about mind control or subliminal messages.

Also like the Robert Conrad episode.  I like the older shows.  Two of my favorites are the first - Prescription Murder and Etude in Black.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister For the most part I like the older shows a lot better too but there are exceptions and a few really good newer ones too.
Prescription Murder with Gene Barry was the first one.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  - You are right - some of the newer ones are very good too.  This past Saturday night COZI showed Uneasy lies the crown where the dentist kills his wife's boyfriend. Another favorite of mine.   

Honored Contributor

Anyone here notice that there were many, many excellent actors/actresses in Columbo episodes.........

But,  many (almost all) we haven't seen again throughout all of those/these years.  

I often wonder why..............

Wonderful, very believable actors/actresses.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I seem to enjoy each and every one of those episodes......even if I've seen them many times.

Same with Frasier episodes.  

Something about various TV series that are excellent,  everlasting entertainment.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I enjoyed Robert Culp in the episode where he played a successful private investigator who owned a very high-end investigation company.  

Also, enjoyed the excellent  actress in the 'Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo' episode.   

As I said in my previous post, so many excellent 'new' (at the time) actors/actresses that were so believable and that I haven't seen again since (then).  

Honored Contributor

@twinsister. Yes! That is a good one. Columbo really tricks the murderer in that one with the blue stuff. Isn't Paul Burke from Naked City in that one?

These old mystery shows had some very, very clever writing for the mysteries. Like the dentist one and the Columbo mentioned above with Ross Martin...how very clever to make the detective's fingerprints the key proof not the murderer's. They sure don't write shows like they used to (sigh).