Honored Contributor

Re: Tom Hank's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have no interest at all in seeing this movie. I love Tom Hanks, but I am not a big Mr. Rogers fan so the movie just doesn't appeal to me. 

Unfortunately, Tom Hanks or Mr. Rogers never did anything for me.  I won't be watching for sure. 

Have to agree @Sunshine Kate.  Not interested in either of them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

As a child, I liked watching Mr. Rogers.  However, I'm not interested in seeing this film.  To me, the previews looked like Forest Gump is playing Mr. Rogers.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Though not a Tom Hanks fan, I've seen the Mr. Rogers trailer and I'd like to see the movie.  I think Tom Hanks is over-exposed -- way over-exposed! -- and I'm a little creeped-out by his chameleon-like ability to take on any character that comes his way.

@ValuSkr   LOL!   Capt. Sully Sullenberger is now ..... Mr. Rogers!  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

These comments are about Tom Hanks taken from another site. I've always liked him. These comments explain the reason why better than I could so I thought I'd share them.

"In addition to being ridiculously versatile, Tom Hanks is a method actor. He tries to become completely emotionally synchronized with the character he is playing. And it shows. He repeatedly makes you believe that he is who he is playing, be it a slightly slow man with a heart of gold, a Fed-Ex employee stranded on a deserted island, or a ship captain captured by Somali pirates. Apart from talent or versatility, Tom Hanks has a unique, every-man quality that lends a sense of authenticity to every role he devotes himself to."

"...Hanks’ performances have always exceeded the audience's expectations, in everything from Big to Philadelphia, to Forrest Gump, to Green Mile, to Saving Private Ryan, to Sleepless in Seattle, to Turner and Hooch.

The man is freakin’ amazing in his range.

He has gained 50 lbs for a role, and lost as much for the same role (Cast Away).

He apparently takes over a role without being a jerk about it (unlike certain other male actors).

He can portray a female, an adult child, a soldier…he easily runs the gamut from slapstick to tragic drama….and handles many diverse, demanding roles: displaying the fullest range of emotions."

"In all: he's an incredible person who happens to be an actor.

To boot: He hasn't ever gotten messed up on drugs,… or had affairs, …or killed anyone (at least to our knowledge).

All in all, he's a pretty stable fellow, despite all his fame. (He's worth a cool $390 million*)."

I hope his new movie does well! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

As a child, I liked watching Mr. Rogers.  However, I'm not interested in seeing this film.  To me, the previews looked like Forest Gump is playing Mr. Rogers.  

@wildcat fan    that's what i thought too!  it's Forrest Gump!  i remember Mister Rogers so i doubt anyone could be him, except him!  that's why i will call it a day with the excellent documentary "Won't You be My Neighbor."

Respected Contributor

When my first two children were little, Sesame Street was their favorite tv show.  Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood came on right after Sesame Street.  My two had no interest in watching Mr. Rogers.  So, I can only go by what young children, mine, thought of the program.  I never coerced them into watching if they weren't interested.  Therefore, I have no interest in the film. 

Frequent Contributor

Great film, outstanding performances by Hanks and the cast!

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic   My son also would not watch Mr. Rodgers. After 2 hours of watching Sesame Street and eating a bowl of Cheerios he would say “Turn it off” as soon as the show can on. Sadly,  Sesame Street is only 30 minutes now and a shell of its former self. My son knew all his letters before he was 2 because of it. 

I think Tom Hanks is a gifted actor who has the ability to become the character he is portraying. He has also produced many wonderful documentaries. Seems like an all around nice guy, too. But, will wait until this comes to my TV.

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee. 😄 @ the bowl of Cheerios. I'm about to have one right now!
Honored Contributor

Anyone going to see this over the weekend?