Respected Contributor

Re: Tom Hank's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Mr. Rogers' life was indeed quite fascinating! His biography The Good Neighbor describes a unique and innovative man (it's my top pick for non-fiction book I've read this year).

I'm interested in seeing both the documentary and the movie.

Honored Contributor

I won't go to see the movie, not a Tom Hanks fan. I always thought Mr. Rogers was creepy, but I respect how accomplished he is.

Esteemed Contributor

The film is actually based upon and focused on a journalist who interviews Mr. Rogers, his life subsequently changed.

Mr. Rogers is considered a secondary character, although Hanks is billed as the star due to box office.   It is expected he would be placed in Oscar competition in the supporting category.

Honored Contributor

I adore(d) Mr. Rogers and have an interest in this movie; I very much enjoyed the documentary.   However, I'll most likely wait to see the movie on TV.

Respected Contributor

A Mr. Rodgers fan here, both as a child and then a parent.  However, I agree that I would have liked to see Jim Parsons as Mr Rogers rather than Tom Hanks. Although, I am a TH fan and think he's an amazing actor.  Parsons, to me, resembles Rogers more. I also think he would have done a good job with the part.  

As others have said, I'll wait for the film to be on tv and watch it then. jMHO

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

IMO Tom Hanks is very good at his craft and there are very few things I have seen him in that I disliked.  I may wait for the film to come to internet , but will most likely watch sometime. DH & I just recently watched his portrayal of Walt Disney in the movie 'Saving Mr. Banks'. We liked that , and were skeptical at first that we would enjoy it , but we did !

As to Mr. Roger's I have observed crazy, wild little kids calm down and pay close attention to Mr. Rodgers in the day . 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Won't You Be My Neighbor' is a terrific documentary- it made me appreciate all that Mr Rogers accomplished in his life. His show was never 'must see' viewing but looking back now, as an adult, he made such a difference in the world. And he appreciated Eddie Murphy as well!! Woman LOL

I'm looking forward to the Tom Hanks movie. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I've read some books on Mr. Rogers.  But although I enjoy TH in movies, he is just not Mr. Rogers.  I think when people know the main character, it loses something in a movie on that person.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee    @ms traditional  

Like you I enjoyed the real documentary, "Won't You Be My Neighbor" and have no interest in seeing this Tom Hank's version of Mr. Roger's life.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It opens here the end of this week coming up. We already got our tickets. And I read that its more about his friendship with the journalist that writes about him. And I think Tom Hanks is perfect for the part. At any rate, DH and I are seeing it. (And i wasn't a big fan of  his tv show, but I admire who he was and how he cared about children and all the good he did), 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles