Honored Contributor

Tom Hank's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

Just got an email from Fandango that tickets are on sale for this film, opening in my city on Thanksgiving.  In fact, movie taimes are already listed for it in my city, even at the non-Fandango locations such as AMC.  So....tickets are on sale.

I don't think I'm going to see it.  As I've posted on other threads about this film when it was upcoming, and since I saw a preview for it, I think the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor is better than this.  I guess I prefer to see the real Mr. Rogers rather than Hanks playing him, and the storyline is about another man too.   I'll probably watch it when it gets to HBO or Showtime, both of which I have.   Then if I don't like it, I won't finish watching it.  As I have posted before, when I saw the promo I couldn't get past Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks and not Mr. Rogers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tom Hank's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

I have no interest at all in seeing this movie. I love Tom Hanks, but I am not a big Mr. Rogers fan so the movie just doesn't appeal to me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I know he was a very kind gentleman....but I just do not find his life that interesting?

Valued Contributor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rogers

An extremely accomplished man...did many interesting  and wonderful things in his life...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I used to watch the show. I have no interest in seeing the movie.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee i'm of the same mind.  i don't know how you could improve on the documentary. and i expect i would sit there watching new movie and think, "that's Tom Hanks trying to be Mister Rogers" since i very much remember the real man.  no imitations for me. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Pearlee i'm of the same mind.  i don't know how you could improve on the documentary. and i expect i would sit there watching new movie and think, "that's Tom Hanks trying to be Mister Rogers" since i very much remember the real man.  no imitations for me. 

@ms traditional   Yes, that is exactly what I thought to myself watching the preview for it at the movies.  

I loved the documentary and the comments from real people who worked with him and his family.  And I loved how the doc showed his impact on important things (such as how he handled RFK's assassination and integration).  How could this film possibly improve on the documentary? (not that it is trying to but I can't see spending the time and money to go see something inferior to the doc).

Valued Contributor

I agree @Pearlee . When I saw the promo on tv all I saw was Tom Hanks trying to play Mr. Rogers. His acting seemed forced and fake. I think Tom Hanks was miscast.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never cared for the Mr Rogers show  and did not have my daughter watch it as a child . Much prefered  real life interaction with my own child as a parent  to teach her manners , respecting others  and how to interact with others  rather than sitting her in front of a TV set  to watch the likes of Sesame street & Mr Rogers for hours .

Honored Contributor

It's definitely not a movie that I'd pay to see.  I'm not even sure I'll watch it when it gets to cable for free.  I don't understand why they made the movie unless there's some fascinating part of his life that I don't know anything about.