Respected Contributor

Re: Today Is A Day None of Us Has to be reminded of....

Thanks for posting. Yes, this "our Pearl Harbor."

Honored Contributor

Good post JavaQueen.

Respected Contributor

My daughter was in DC at the time, attending a seminar 1 mile from the White House, of course I was frantic, the Feds finally called me to say she was ok & sequestered, she finally got phone service & called me to let me know she was ok, they were walked, under guard for 5 miles, she just wanted to get home, (Chicago) but everything was tied up, they finally were able to rent a car, 6 of them, to go cross Country, dropping people off as they traveled, was the best day of my life when she arrived home, but we will never forget those less fortunate & pray every day for them, & hope that this never happens again in our Country,  I hope we never forget, Thax for the post

Trusted Contributor

I remember how people couldn't get home cause all planes and transportation was halted, and like your daughter many people rented cars and car pooled some across the u.s. to get home it was something how strangers in some cases rode together ,love this country.Tucka.

Esteemed Contributor

I am concerned about the number of young people who essentially have no clue about the events that occurred on 9/11.  The average middle school student wasn't born or was an infant at the time.  Yesterday I planned an age appropriate discussion with accompanying articles.  A large percentage of students were absent because parents were supposedly concerned that there could have been a planned attack on schools on the anniversary.  We hear those rumors every year, and every year local superintendents and police respond that there is no credibility to the rumors, yet parents allow their kids to stay home anyway.  By keeping kids home and living in fear, those parents are, in my opinion, playing into the hands of those who wanted to harm us.  I hope all those families took the time to educate their children rather than taking the time for a vacation.

Honored Contributor

I recently watched a show that talked about the impact terrorism has had on our lives AND the chances of it REALLY affecting our lives.  In other words, how our FEAR of terrorism has impacted our daily lives.  Very interesting.

He said, (paraphrasing) 'So one guy gets caught trying to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb.  From then on, we now have to take off our shoes before we get on a plane.  Makes no sense.  Our government does this to give the public a sense of security.  It's actually a false sense of security because, obviously they aren't going to do the same thing twice'.

Most of us are (probably) over 45.  Just think of how our lives have changed since 9/11.  

Many people think (in some way) the terrorists have already won.  It's amazing the number of people who live in fear.

Dollars to donuts those parents who kept their children at home took their children shopping or some fun thing.

I also will go so far as to say (in my opinion) unfortunately, they didn't discuss Sept 11 (not to any degree anyway) with their children.

Many parents leave way too much up to a teacher to educate their children.  The average American gets up early (in the DC area you have to leave my neighborhood to get into DC or even near, by 5:30AM in order to arrive to work by about 7:30-8:00AM.  I only live about 35-40 minutes from DC.  These parents are tired.  Now going home, reverse things. 

They get home, maybe have dinner, the children watch TV or most likely are on their IPADS and it's bed time.  Discussions?  What the hay is that?  Their teachers will tell them about 9/11 (or so they figure).

Anyway, you sound like a teacher.  I have many friends who are teachers (now retired).  Some say they had to get out because they spent so much time testing and testing to see if the testing was going well, they didn't have time to teach (what they loved to do).

I have friends who are librarians.  One friend is responsible for picking out books for 4 new libraries that are being built in our area.  What an amazing responsible and what an amazing friend I have.

It used to be kids learned many things from their parents (discussions, discussions).  Things about the importance of right and wrong.  The importance of making a difference.  One life lost is terrible.  Oh!  Let's not forget what I think is a basis for having a good life.....respect.  Respect for life, others, everyone.  If you respect your teacher, parents, others you open up your mind and heart.

I don't know where you live but wherever it is they are lucky to have you.

Honored Contributor

This will give you an idea of how the press decides what we will see and hear.

How many people know that after 9/ll the Russians sent us an amazing monument to show the American people how sad they are about our loss.

Check it out.  Google:  The Teardrop.  It's located in New York City. Don't know how to post a picture of it but if someone does, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks, Annabelle.

Esteemed Contributor

When I think about the fact that middle school kids don't have the same feelings those of us who lived through 9/11 have, I think about my generation's feelings about Pearl Harbor. As a baby boomer, I certainly heard a great deal about the attack on Pearl Harbor but I didn't have that visceral, gut-wrenching feeling I experience when I think about 9/11.  

I watched a few of the documentaries about 9/11 yesterday and could not hold back the tears. One of the most mesmerizing films I saw was a compilation of amateur filming of the events of that day. I could hear people's immediate reactions to what they were seeing. You could see the horrors unfolding as people realized what was happening. I was reminded of all the rumors that were being spread, most of them absolutely wrong. At the time, though, we had no idea what was going to happen, where and when the next attack might come. The horror was magnified by the fear and the overwhelming sadness in the knowledge that our country would never be the same again.

Honored Contributor

9/11 is certainly a day we don't require reminders for. 

Because of where I live, I have a few personal memories and Annabelle's post reminded me of one.  At the time, I was seeing a man who worked in the Towers.  When the first news hit the local TV station I was watching, I ran for my computer, fearful of what I'd see.  On that issue, I was one of the lucky ones - he's taken a day off.  Weeks later as we talked about it, he told me he thought he would not have survived had he been at work.  His responsibilities and his role in the 1993 car bombing drove his feelings.

But there were losses - adult children of friends, spouses and siblings of friends and colleagues and even a former student were among those who never came home.

And a week later when a friend and I drove across the 59th Street bridge on our way to Sloan-Kettering, the bridge was already guarded and we could see the smoke still rising from the ruins far to the south of us. We  knew that New York City was already heading toward a new normal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post your memories.  I spoke with my daughter (remember, I told you she worked for the September 11th Fund).  I told her about my posts and some of your memories.

She was very quiet.  We were doing facetime.  They had to prove they were the survivor of the person who died. She said, "The pictures I saw, the people I met will be with me forever".  Then she said, "Mom, the survivors brought in pictures of their family members, so many pictures.  They wanted to talk to us about them.  It was so hard because I would flash back to some of the devestation I saw in the buildings.  But we all did it Mom.  We smiled and laughed with them and tried to block out what we'd seen".  Then she said, "I don't want to talk about this anymore".