Respected Contributor

Re: To All Those Interested In Scandalous Hollywood History

@golding76   Esther Williams, Paul Anka and Estes Kefaufer.........now that's diversity!

Honored Contributor

I always found Errol Flynn fascinating: handsome, dashing, scoundrel with incredible magnetism and always getting not trouble. His rape trial is particularly interesting. Really damaged his career. I always wondered about the accusations. Two 17 year old girls, in two separate incidents. Defense was able to discredit their stories based on their supposed history with married men and that Flynn supposedly had no clue they were underage.

Another sad tale is Fatty Arbuckle, whose career was ruined by, from what I’ve read, was a false accusation of rape and manslughter. It turned into a national scandal that portrayed the shy man as a lech and murderer - fueled by yellow journalism of Hearst newspapers, blackmail and bribing police. He was acquitted after THREE trials but blackballed and his films banned. He later directed under a different name and acted in a few films but his career was never the same and friends say he was a broken man. 😢
Honored Contributor

OMG! Reading about Gloria Graehme and her stepson, I remember an older Law and Order SVU episode where a famous actress and her stepson are having an affair and the stepmother convinces the stepson to murder his father, and then the 2 of them will go off together, and I even think they used the name Graehme........It was really good, and that made me think about this scandal with Gloria and her stepson...... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

OMG! Reading about Gloria Graehme and her stepson, I remember an older Law and Order SVU episode where a famous actress and her stepson are having an affair and the stepmother convinces the stepson to murder his father, and then the 2 of them will go off together, and I even think they used the name Graehme........It was really good, and that made me think about this scandal with Gloria and her stepson...... 

@CANDLEQUEEN   I think I know the episode you mean - the one with Chad Lowe as the stepson (or was it even son?) and the woman who played Lois Lane in the Superman films who died not too long ago (and whose name is escaping me now) as the stepmother (or mother?)

ETA: Margot Kidder

@golding76   If you want me to be sure to see your posts, you need to put the @ in front of my name, which I hope you do because your posts on this thread have been great.

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

Another sad tale is Fatty Arbuckle, whose career was ruined by, from what I’ve read, was a false accusation of rape and manslughter. It turned into a national scandal that portrayed the shy man as a lech and murderer - fueled by yellow journalism of Hearst newspapers, blackmail and bribing police. He was acquitted after THREE trials but blackballed and his films banned. He later directed under a different name and acted in a few films but his career was never the same and friends say he was a broken man. 😢

I saw him profiled on an old episode of "True Hollywood Stories" or maybe it was "Biography."  For his comeback, he used the name: Will B. Good.

Honored Contributor

Have you read Kirk Douglas's autobiography called Ragman's Son, he wrote it 30 years ago, an amazing read, what a womanizer this man was!!

Honored Contributor

Also,ever hear Rita Moreno talk about her torrid relationship with Brando, she spoke about it on The Talk a few years ago, wow!!

Respected Contributor

A man named Scotty Bowers 95 years wrote a book and I think there is a documentary about Hollywood back in the day. It is eye an eye opener. Tracy and Hepburn were not very nice people to put it mildly. 

Honored Contributor

It has always been alleged & later confirmed by a relative after Loretta died that she was "date raped" by Clark Gable which resulted in a daughter.

LY arranged to secretly “adopt’’ her own daughter to avoid the scandal that would have damaged both the stars’ careers, particularly that of Young, a devout Catholic.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Back in the late 1970's, I read the book "Hollywood Babylon" by Kenneth Anger & found it quite eye opening!    Alla Nazimova was quite an interesting character!