Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I agree that A Night to Remember is much better than the newer version.  While Wislet and DiCaprio are very talented in my opinion, they were miscast in that movie .  Stanwyck always shined in any film she made and that is one reason I enjoy Night to Remember.

Happy New Year to all  !!!!!!

Happy New Year, @spiderw  and @lulu1

Barbara Stanwyck is not in A Night to Remember.  She's in the 1953 movie Titanic, which a completely made-up story. 

In 1955 Walter Lord wrote a book he called A Night to Remember, which is fact-based.  He studied the thousands of pages of actual transcripts from the formal inquiries in UK ad US and contemporaneous interviews with passengers.  I

n 1958 a movie that follows Lord's book very closely was released ,also called A Night to Remember.  I love that movie and how realistic is is (except, of course, the mechanics of what happened to the ship, which would not be known for decades).

Cameron's Titanic is, like the 1953 Titanic, just made up stuff.  

Honored Contributor

Ineresting trivia:   

It's unlikely the band played "Nearer They God to Me" as the ship sank.  For one thing they didn't know it.

Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I would have re-written the ending of James Cameron's movie.  In my version, Rose would have given the jewel to Bill Paxton's character.  It meant nothing to her, and would have validated the expedition.  And when Rose died, found everyone waiting for her, and gave Jack her hand, it would have been elderly Rose's hand who then morphed into younger Rose at the touch of Jack's hand.  Of course the movie was pablum, but my ending is better.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix