Super Contributor

I watched the old 1953 Titanic this morning - again.  No offense to Leonardo's fans, but this was much better than the remake - my opinion only.  Even in black and white.  Even without all the newest technological effects, it was a much better movie.  The acting was great.  I'm a TCM fan and find old movies much more entertaining than the new.

Honored Contributor

IMO, the best Titantic movie is A Night to Remember from the late '50s.  Not a famous cast although it does have a small role by David McCallum but a quite realistic movie without a lot of the personal drama.  Haven't seen it in a while and would like to.

Honored Contributor

Re: Titanic - 1953

[ Edited ]

The remake was awful.... how that movie ever got such aclaim is beyond me... perhaps the song I will go on was why such a big deal was made  about the movie. The acting was terrible.  I did not get to the end of the movie with all the splashing in the water and yelling going on.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the older versions are better than the more famous version. I may be the only person in America who did not care for the DeCaprio version. I found it trite and even more predictable than it should have been. The special effects were terrific but I need more than that to say a film is good.

Honored Contributor

I recorded the older version. I saw the "new" one when it came out and can't stand it.

I love the older one. THAT is a classic.

Honored Contributor

The one with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb was the best .

I bought it at the Titanic gift store while I was in Branson. Missouri

Great replication of the actual ship.

Honored Contributor

Re: Titanic - 1953

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I recorded the older version. I saw the "new" one when it came out and can't stand it.

I love the older one. THAT is a classic.

Leonardo looked like a 14 yr old. LOL The leading lady looked healthy in the movie, then, she went Hollywood and lost wgt .

Honored Contributor

I never saw the "new" Titanic and have no interest in seeing it.

Thanks, ladies for confirming my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

I just watched 1953 TITANIC on DVR and bawled my eyes out (again) at the end when Richard and Norman are together. Very good acting, loved Norman, he was a sweetheart.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Count me in as NOT a DiCapprio fan.  I think he (as well as many/most) actors today are way, way over-rated.

I think I saw an older version of Titanic, but it was a long time ago.

I only remember sitting through the Dicapprio one once, that was enough.  I've seen so many bits and parts of the stupid movie I feel like I've sat through it 5 times!  Ha!