Honored Contributor

Re: Tired Of Drama Themes About COVID

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Even newscasters OUTSIDE with no one around are wearing a mask - we just shut it off...overkill

@Mom2Dogs , my guess is there is a camerman that may be close by.  I believe there are also some states that have a mask mandate even outside or the reporter may be trying to set a good example.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Even newscasters OUTSIDE with no one around are wearing a mask - we just shut it off...overkill

@Mom2Dogs , my guess is there is a camerman that may be close by.  I believe there are also some states that have a mask mandate even outside or the reporter may be trying to set a good example.

@Lipstickdiva You are right.I don't know what kind of camera crew they have for the outdoor newscasters, but they need some type of crew. The one person talking just doesn't appear on tv magically.

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

The thing that bugs me is the inconsistency.  If you're going to acknowledge it and have the characters wearing masks in some scenes, then don't have another scene where six  people are huddled together in the office or someone goes to visit a friend and kisses them hello.

@VanSleepy this!  I have complained about this with Chicago Med.  It's a tv show, set inside a hospital but there is no consistency with the mask wearing.  They've had entire episodes dedicated to treating Covid patients yet none of the doctors or nurses wear masks when inside the hospital.  They show the characters entering the hospital with masks on but then once they step foot inside the hospital, they take off the masks.  But then you'll see people in the background all wearing masks.  

There were also scenes where one of the nurses was out shopping and she was wearing a mask but everytime she spoke to the shop employee or another customer, she pulled her mask down.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I haven't watched regular network TV in ages.  I've been watching Netflix, Prime or HBO....no mention of masks or the pandemic.  I see enough of it on the news.

@haddon9 You know, us as well!  We don't even watch the news on tv any more.  We just can't listen to the moralizing and editorial comments rather than information, or the 15 minutes of puppies and rainbows in every newscast.

So we read mostly and maybe watch one or two things a week.  Who knew you could live without the tv on?  Woman Embarassed

@Sooner I really haven't been watching the news as much as I used to.  It puts me in a bad mood.  However once in a great while I'll turn on the TV in the kitchen while cleaning up and guess what they are always talking about?!!!  

I think the last few minutes of "puppies & rainbows" at the end of each newscast is supposed to make us feel good after all of the depressing news....UGH!

Honored Contributor

I can't speak to the airing of "rainbows", but I love seeing stories about happy puppies.  Dana Perino often mentions her pups during her reporting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have said before that I don't think think these shows that are having people wear masks without context are going to age well.

Each show had to decide how they were going to address it and if they were going to address it.

L&O is a prime example.  They did one episode about the lockdown and now they just show them coming into a building and taking off their mask, but as each episode goes on, they do this less and less.  Like they are phasing it out.

New Amsterdam is all in on Covid-centric shows, at least that's what I read on Social Media (I stopped watching that show after Season 1).

I primarily watch DVDs to avoid commercials.  I record a few things where I can flip through commercials.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I can't speak to the airing of "rainbows", but I love seeing stories about happy puppies.  Dana Perino often mentions her pups during her reporting.

@deepwaterdotter I need information about finances, health, and weather.  To me that's NEWS, not puppies.  I guess differences in people or maybe I'm more a mess!  Woman Frustrated

I want to hear about what's important to help us live well, not someone's dogs. 

Esteemed Contributor

I no longer watch the news. I prefer to relax and watch TV shows without politics and to leave COVID out of it.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva ....you may be correct - I would argue (well NOT argue) that it's not necessary outside and honestly it's difficult to understand what they are saying.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's the role or obligation of a news outlet to teach us how to live well.