Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tired Of Drama Themes About COVID

At least on this board it is no longer the major space taker upper amongst us.  It's become more rounded out with topics again. There is the one poster who still does her regular reports & updates but other than that we're doing ok here getting on with things in spite of the virus.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Covid is our lives these days and isn't going away. We're going to see it on tv shows, news, and elsewhere for a loooooong time.  It didn't have to be this bad. Those who choose to ignore science and believe conspiracy theories will make it drag on a lot longer.  

That doesn't mean you have to see it pushed at you 24/7. Unless, of course, you want it that way. Sometimes people need a break from all the Covid stuff, which doesn't mean they ignore science. It just means they like other things in their besides Covid news. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Good observation, @ECBG .   I've had less of that, since other than the news and design shows, I tend to watch my few faves on retro channels and sporadically, TCM.

I think there are a lot of things going on with Covid on drama shows.  We can't underestimate how much this pandemic has affected all of us, and especially, the pervasive fear it engendered.  In the beginning, a virus with no cure, that savagely kills!   Even though it targets for death mainly those of a certain age and/or with comorbidities, it's terrifying.  That kind of thing haunts most, to some degree, including TV writers.

Now, with the miraculous development of successful vaccines, I'd expect to see a lot of that recede.  Most people, now that vaccines are available, and more and more have been immunized, are much less pre-occupied with the virus.  At least, that's been my experience.  TV writers may take a while to catch up, like a few others!

Totally agree with you, and I expect that escapist drama shows that continue with heavy-handed or haranguing Covid themes will experience declining viewership.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even newscasters OUTSIDE with no one around are wearing a mask - we just shut it off...overkill

Esteemed Contributor

I suspect, depending on where the show is filmed, the production is limited by Covid protocols. I don’t necessarily mind if the actors are shown wearing masks, but prefer it be an afterthought and not part of the storyline (although the team being on Covid duty on NCIS was well done IMO.) My network TV watching is less than it used to be but many that I watch is “post covid”, where it is over, but still occasionally referred to or, like NCIS, where the team wears a mask, but mostly go about their regular duties (with occasional references.) I do occasionally watch The Connors, and that really bashes you over the head with Covid. Sometimes I don’t mind, but I also wish they would get over it.
Esteemed Contributor

ITA with those who feel it's just too much.......goes on and on.   We all know how serious it is and feel sadness for those who have perished.  On the other hand life goes on and we, the ones fortunate enough to have lived through it , need to have the courage to carry on.   We do not need it so dramatized on TV, always in our face, when some people just indulge themselves in it excessively.

Esteemed Contributor

Good grief, yes! So many shows feature of the Covid, and those wearing masks. I try to watch shows the take my mind off it, even for a short while. We have it 24/7 in the news. 

Respected Contributor

Tim Allen did an interesting take on his show Last Man Standing ( which is in its last season). On this season's first show it was explained that the the episodes would take place in the near future, after the pandemic died down, so to speak. This way he acknowledged it, but the episodes are pretty much COVID free. 

Respected Contributor

The thing that bugs me is the inconsistency.  If you're going to acknowledge it and have the characters wearing masks in some scenes, then don't have another scene where six  people are huddled together in the office or someone goes to visit a friend and kisses them hello.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I haven't watched regular network TV in ages.  I've been watching Netflix, Prime or HBO....no mention of masks or the pandemic.  I see enough of it on the news.

@haddon9 You know, us as well!  We don't even watch the news on tv any more.  We just can't listen to the moralizing and editorial comments rather than information, or the 15 minutes of puppies and rainbows in every newscast.

So we read mostly and maybe watch one or two things a week.  Who knew you could live without the tv on?  Woman Embarassed