Honored Contributor

Re: Time Warner Cable And Spectrum

Hi Jordan!  Yeah, I was also thinking about 'This is Us' but, fortunately, I think it's a while before the next season.

I don't really see any way that they don't work this out.  It's huge.  From what it sounds like, Charter needs to back down.

I guess we'll see, when we get up tomorrow.  Smiley Wink

Frequent Contributor

My advice is to drop the TV portion of the cable and keep the internet connection. I did this 2 years ago and my cable bill went from $210/month to $60. I then got an HP antenna and put just laid it in my attic on a chair. They cost about $40 at Home Depot. The RCA model is ranked one of the best. They are very small, only three feet wide. I connected it to the same cable splitter that Time/Warner was using and we have 5 TVs connected to it. We now get over 80 stations for free, even all the major channels like NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, and PBS. We are located about 25 miles north of Dallas.

We then stream all our movies and other shows we want to watch using Netflix and Amazon Prime. The best part is no commericals.

Bottom line is we're saving over $1,500 per year and are not aggravated by commericals, scanning through 150 channels trying to find something decent to watch, and stupid programming forced on us.   

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hi Jordan!  Yeah, I was also thinking about 'This is Us' but, fortunately, I think it's a while before the next season.

I don't really see any way that they don't work this out.  It's huge.  From what it sounds like, Charter needs to back down.

I guess we'll see, when we get up tomorrow.  Smiley Wink

No @chickenbutt, This Is Us comes back on January 10! This also affects E!, The Royals, what will I do?!!!

Honored Contributor

D'oh!  Sorry about that.  So many shows - so little brain. Smiley Wink

Well, then, they damwell better not mess that up!  I feel like they will get it together pretty quickly.  I don't know why it was later in my head.  Some shows are coming back in the Spring and I think I got stuck on that.

Fingers crossed for all of us!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hmmm...re:  the NBC channels thing.  I was going to MSNBC to watch some 'Lockup' episodes and it keeps getting interrupted by pixelation and skips.  So I went to the E! channel and same thing.  Oxygen channel - same thing.   Bravo - same thing.

It's not happening on other, non-NBC, channels.  I hope it's just a weird coincidence.  I also hope it stops.   You can't watch when that is happening every few seconds.      The SyFy channel seems ok, but it's the much older programming today (Twilight Zone) so maybe it doesn't happen with the lower number of pixels in a program that old.

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hmmm...re:  the NBC channels thing.  I was going to MSNBC to watch some 'Lockup' episodes and it keeps getting interrupted by pixelation and skips.  So I went to the E! channel and same thing.  Oxygen channel - same thing.   Bravo - same thing.

It's not happening on other, non-NBC, channels.  I hope it's just a weird coincidence.  I also hope it stops.   You can't watch when that is happening every few seconds.      The SyFy channel seems ok, but it's the much older programming today (Twilight Zone) so maybe it doesn't happen with the lower number of pixels in a program that old.

Are we you a Charter Spectrum user? We've been having the same thing happening on MeTV and a couple others. I think Charter is just a crappy company. Unfortunately it's the only option for cable around here. 

If NBC isn't available tomorrow night for Sunday Night Football, people in my area are going to be extremely upset -- the Lions-Packers game is huge here. 

Honored Contributor

What part of your country are you guys?  I live in Northern Va so we have Comcast, Verizon, Direct TV and some areas also have Cox closer to the DC area instead of Comcast.

The cable stuff is a headache.  I'm finally happy with my new expanded Comcast (remember the fiasco with Verizon/fios, etc)?  I just was notified they took out over $300 of my account and I'd already canceled it.  Now I have to raise Heck to get my money back.  I have proof I'd canceled it, etc, just a pain in the neck.

I've said before that I think in just a few short years no TV will be free (regular channels).  

They already put on so many commercials it's almost 1/4 commercials out of an hour show.

I remember when cable first came out cable didn't have any commercials (like some Sirus Radio stations).

My son-in-law doesn't have any cable and can get lots of the same stations I do.  I see advertised that if you buy some things you can get cable stations.  I thought COSTCO sold the stuff.

Trusted Contributor

@blinksmom  I'm getting ready to cut the cable cord and go with an antenna like you did. Going to use a Winegard antenna in the attic and connect 5 TVs via splitter. Can't wait to box up all the Time Warner/Spectrum equipment and drop it on their counter to say "buh bye!"  I'm in NE Dallas County so I'll get a lot of OTA channels as well. I'm so tired of the threats to remove programming, signal outages, and nickel/dime charges for a bunch of channels we don't watch -- and they are duplicated within our package which really annoys me.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I'm in northern Michigan. Our choices are CharterSpectrum for cable or satellite -- Dish, Direct, etc...

We have been talking about getting rid of the cable and just watching what we can with Roku or the Internet (which is how I watch any show on ABC, NBC OR CBS already). Might even save some $$ -- of course they will raise the price of Internet if we dump the cable. They're going to get their $$ one way or another. 

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfan If I had a partner or something (someone to entertain me other than the cat...Ha!).  I'd get something that would give me various stations (other than the regular one's).  That's what my son-in-law does.  He has 4 children (ages 14-4) they watch very little TV (as does most young people today).  They're more computer types.

I think you can buy stuff that gets lots of stations and you don't pay a monthly fee.  You know like you can for your phone, etc.

I don't know anything about it but I see them advertised.  I also know people who just have Roku or Netflix and with Netflix they only pay around $9 per month.  That's way cheaper than I pay, but I'm a TV nut (more for company than anything).