Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BarbiHollywoodWhat about Social Services? Don't they check on abusive situations, rather than the Police? Perhaps that wouldn't seem so frightening to your dad's wife, but it would be documented and your dad might be able to speak in confidential terms with a social worker.

ETA: I'm surprised your dad's Physician's office hasn't suggested something more. Always thought a physican was required to notify the appropriate authorities if they suspected  abuse or abdormal behaviors. 

@BirkiLady  Good morning!  Thank you, everyone, for your concern!  I don't mean to turn this thread into All About Barbi's Dad!!  I, too, thought his doc could possibly do more...for example, ask Wifey to leave the room for a few minutes so patient-doctor could have a few minutes of privacy...maybe then my Dad would open up and share something.  Doc's office said the only way they could have Wifey leave the room is if my Dad wanted her to leave.  What???  I didn't believe my ears!   I wonder if she meant if the doctor suggested Wifey leaving, my Dad would have to be okay with it.  On a positive note, though, doc's office says I'm still on HIPAA (papers were not updated so I'm still on from 2016), she's sending me copies of doc's notes, and his health is improving!  I'm thrilled about that.  Back in April, I had noticed he was not looking well.  Bloated belly, swollen legs, extreme difficulty walking and breathing, I asked Wifey if he was going to see a doc.  She said "he's fine, he's just lazy."  On 4/19 I insisted she call a cardiologist.  Earliest appointment she was able to get was 6/4.  I then called the doc's office, explained his symptoms, and got him in that same day!!  So imagine if I hadn't jumped in??  He wouldn't have been around long enough for the 6/4 appointment.  That's probably what she wanted.   What wife doesn't push her hubby to get checked out when it's so obvious something is not right???  I appreciate all the concern and suggestions you are all sending my way.  I apologize for being long-winded, my fingers fly on the keyboard and I type like I talk!!  Ha!!!  THANK YOU!!

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

People should have taken a page out of the Frank Sinatra book.

As expected, the document, made public Thursday, divvies up most of Sinatra's considerable estate between wife No. 4, Barbara Marx, and his three kids, Frank Jr., Nancy and Tina.

The kicker? Obviously aware of the considerable tension between his kids (all from his first marriage to Nancy Barbato) and his wife (for many years they reportedly refused to be in the same room together), the Chairman included a clause in his will that automatically disinherits anyone who contests it. That means the heirs will have to make nice if they want to collect.

@VaBelle35  Wow!!!

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Barbi

Please see a elder Lawyer. Yes, your Father has a will BUT are you the Executor? My parents will was in their safety deposit box. I was Power of Attorney. BUT Power of Attorney ends at death. My parents died within 5 days of one another and I was unable to get into their safety deposit box in order to probate the will for over a year. Finally I refused to pay for the rental on the box and wrote to the President of the bank.

Also, you do not know what crazy thing your step mother might come up with. You need to protect your Dad. And have it in writing.

Your stepmother may be a kook but she may also be clever as a fox too. Please talk to a lawyer.

@drizzellla  I'm very sorry to hear about your parents' passing.  That's so sad.  Good call on Wifey being "clever as a fox" because I've wondered about that also.  ALL my Dad's important papers are in his house (he's meticulous about all that stuff), but when I asked him to tell me where it all is so that I can look at it and make some copies, he very timidly told me "no."  I found THAT to be odd.  I know from conversations years ago that because I am the only family they both have, I was to inherit everything from both of them.  Now, well, I assume she must've changed things on her end (who cares!), but I need to see that HIS stuff is still directed at me.  I need to find this out.  This is gonna be tricky.  Thanks for the tip.

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Barbi

Please see a elder Lawyer. Yes, your Father has a will BUT are you the Executor? My parents will was in their safety deposit box. I was Power of Attorney. BUT Power of Attorney ends at death. My parents died within 5 days of one another and I was unable to get into their safety deposit box in order to probate the will for over a year. Finally I refused to pay for the rental on the box and wrote to the President of the bank.

Also, you do not know what crazy thing your step mother might come up with. You need to protect your Dad. And have it in writing.

Your stepmother may be a kook but she may also be clever as a fox too. Please talk to a lawyer.

@drizzellla  I'm very sorry to hear about your parents' passing.  That's so sad.  Good call on Wifey being "clever as a fox" because I've wondered about that also.  ALL my Dad's important papers are in his house (he's meticulous about all that stuff), but when I asked him to tell me where it all is so that I can look at it and make some copies, he very timidly told me "no."  I found THAT to be odd.  I know from conversations years ago that because I am the only family they both have, I was to inherit everything from both of them.  Now, well, I assume she must've changed things on her end (who cares!), but I need to see that HIS stuff is still directed at me.  I need to find this out.  This is gonna be tricky.  Thanks for the tip.

My Dad had a stroke and was in a nursing home for 10+ years. He was the one who handled all financial and legal matters up until his stroke. Mom was content to sit back and let everyone else take care of everything. Well, after Dad's stroke Mom decided to take charge. My Dad had previously bought the "best" health care policy for them. He figured that since they were getting older they would need and probably use it. So when he had his stroke, insurance paid for his 6 months in the rehab facility. The insurance company was first rate. The first thing my Mom did after my Dad's stroke was buy the cheapest health care policy she could find. 

Then she cut my one brother and me out of her life insurance policy. She wanted all the money to go to "one brother". She also gave "the one brother" $$$$$$$. When their lawyer found out about all the money she was giving to my "one brother" the lawyer insisted on an addendum to their will stating all the money gifts my Mom gave "one brother". Well, Mom came up to my house and shredded the addendum so that I would have not record of the money gifted to "one brother". Plus copies of all cancelled checks and bank statements.

I was paying their bills. By this time both of them were in a nursing home. But Mom insisted that we keep their house and she also insisted on keeping her assisted living apartment, in addition to her nursing home private room. I only had Power of Attorney to one checking account. But she took the checkbook away from me and gave it to a nurses aid. I had no idea where the checkbook was and between their house, assisted living apartment and 2 nursing home rooms - I had bills that had to be paid.

By then I got the Social Worker involved. And I had no idea until after they died that Mom was trying to have me removed as Power of Attorney and Executor. I think she wanted "one brother" to be it. But he only came to see her when he wanted money or every 5 years.

This was my own Mother. Who I spent every weekend buying her groceries, getting her prescriptions filled, mowing her grass and trimming scrubs, buying her clothes (only to have to return them because she didn't like them).  I am sure that your Step Mother is capable of hurting you and your Dad. Please protect yourselves.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Barbi

My Dad had a stroke and was in a nursing home for 10+ years. He was the one who handled all financial and legal matters up until his stroke. Mom was content to sit back and let everyone else take care of everything. Well, after Dad's stroke Mom decided to take charge. My Dad had previously bought the "best" health care policy for them. He figured that since they were getting older they would need and probably use it. So when he had his stroke, insurance paid for his 6 months in the rehab facility. The insurance company was first rate. The first thing my Mom did after my Dad's stroke was buy the cheapest health care policy she could find. 

Then she cut my one brother and me out of her life insurance policy. She wanted all the money to go to "one brother". She also gave "the one brother" $$$$$$$. When their lawyer found out about all the money she was giving to my "one brother" the lawyer insisted on an addendum to their will stating all the money gifts my Mom gave "one brother". Well, Mom came up to my house and shredded the addendum so that I would have not record of the money gifted to "one brother". Plus copies of all cancelled checks and bank statements.

I was paying their bills. By this time both of them were in a nursing home. But Mom insisted that we keep their house and she also insisted on keeping her assisted living apartment, in addition to her nursing home private room. I only had Power of Attorney to one checking account. But she took the checkbook away from me and gave it to a nurses aid. I had no idea where the checkbook was and between their house, assisted living apartment and 2 nursing home rooms - I had bills that had to be paid.

By then I got the Social Worker involved. And I had no idea until after they died that Mom was trying to have me removed as Power of Attorney and Executor. I think she wanted "one brother" to be it. But he only came to see her when he wanted money or every 5 years.

This was my own Mother. Who I spent every weekend buying her groceries, getting her prescriptions filled, mowing her grass and trimming scrubs, buying her clothes (only to have to return them because she didn't like them).  I am sure that your Step Mother is capable of hurting you and your Dad. Please protect yourselves.

@drizzellla  HOLY SMOKES, THAT WAS YOUR OWN MOTHER DOING THIS???  My jaw is on the floor.  I guess you never know with some people.  Wifey's two daughters both passed away (I only met one years ago, we kept in touch, super sweet, left behind an 8 year old son).  The other daughter was on the outs with Wifey (her own mother).  When oldest daughter passed away, no one even bothered to call her mother (Wifey) - Wifey stumbled on her obit two days later while reading online newspaper from their old area up north.  Imagine that, no one even bothered to tell her mother that she passed away?  This is just an example of the relationships this woman has with people.  She'll pick a fight, the wall goes up, and then you are OUT.  I've seen this happen with her.  If you ask me - and I'm in no way an expert on the subject of mental health - I wonder if she's got dementia or something going on.  She's just rude and ugly on the inside AND out.  Just.  Not.  Nice.  My Dad is an educated man.  Why he married this woman is truly beyond me.  I pinned a smile on 20 years when they got married.  Figured everyone should be happy.  If only we had a crystal ball, right???  I hope we don't get asked to move our chat elsewhere.  If we do, I will give you my email.  Go out and enjoy your day.  

Honored Contributor

Barbi

There are lots of horror stories out there. I would not want you to be able to add your own horror story. And your step Mom sounds like a likely candidate.

Any women who has a daughter pass away and the Mom was not told, is very telling.

I honestly think my Mom had some sort of dementia or something wrong to make her lose the power of reason. I wish I were an expert in mental heath. Maybe I could have handled the situation with my Mom better. 

Please try and keep up with whatever that women is up to. Maybe you Dad will eventually help you out. Let's hope. You both deserve it.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Barbi

There are lots of horror stories out there. I would not want you to be able to add your own horror story. And your step Mom sounds like a likely candidate.

Any women who has a daughter pass away and the Mom was not told, is very telling.

I honestly think my Mom had some sort of dementia or something wrong to make her lose the power of reason. I wish I were an expert in mental heath. Maybe I could have handled the situation with my Mom better. 

Please try and keep up with whatever that women is up to. Maybe you Dad will eventually help you out. Let's hope. You both deserve it.

@drizzellla  Aww, thanks.  You are very, very sweet!  Thank you so much for letting me vent.  Things feel better when you get them off your chest.