Honored Contributor

Re: Three Identical Strangers

A few months back someone at my Weight Watchers meeting mentioned she saw this. She didn't want to say too much about it, I am interested in watching it.

Honored Contributor

I’ve followed this story since it broke. I will be watching at least some of it on CNN. Withholding judgement until I see it.

Slightly off topic I learned recently that an old friend’s father was involved in some ghastly research projects, as a physician, when we were kids.  

So hard to learn this stuff when all we thought was that he was somebodie’s dad, and a great guy. 

Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@denisemb   thanks for the CNN info.

You may be interested in reading another thread about the movie:

link--> three identical strangers

MAJOR SPOILERS IN THIS LINK. Don’t read it if you want to be “surprised”. 

VERY GOOD LINK if the spoiler aspect isn’t important to you, though.

Honored Contributor

@violann  Thanks for posting this link - I was just about to. I remember writing a long review on the link stating it was the best documentary I've ever seen.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@violann  Thanks for posting this link - I was just about to. I remember writing a long review on the link stating it was the best documentary I've ever seen.

You're welcome @Pearlee. I remembered the thread because I read it.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Tique wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

You're welcome @Pearlee. I remembered the thread because I read it.

Ooops, I stand corrected @Tique  so thanks!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45   @denisemb   just set my DVR. You should be able to set yours.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

thanks so much @Tique.

just now set my DVR.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

To totally change the subject, I posted on another small thread about THE best documentary I've seen, thanks to @mousiegirl .  I'm still haunted by the story.  USS Indianapolis Live - From the Deep.  I will gratefully credit her synopsis:

"Take a live tour of the wreckage from the USSA Indianapolis, the WWII vessel lying at the bottom of the Pacific since its sinking in 1945. Video of the vessel, which was found in August, will be transmitted from a remotely operated vehicle."

Now I'm usually not interested in WWII, but on her recommendation decided to record it for my DH.  To be honest, the only info I had was from the movie 'Jaws' where Quint and Hooper were on the boat comparing scars, and Quint related he was one of the few survivors of the Indy after delivering parts of the first nuclear bomb before Indy was torpedoed by a Japanese sub.  Of 1,195 crewmen, only 316 suvived.

And they floated in the sea 4 days before rescued (by accident).

I had NO idea of how much the Navy was responsible for the disaster.

Besides the current filming on finding the wreckage (which is incredible, as they had no ship's logs to which to refer), there are also interviews with a few remaining survivors, photos of them, other crewman and ship at the time, and reenactments of their experiences...waiting for rescue that (almost) didn't come.

I know I sound like a crazy woman Woman LOL but can't remember when I was so moved.

Oh, it was broadcast on PBS.  They have streaming from their site, or you can search for your local PBS station to see if it will be run again.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

To totally change the subject, I posted on another small thread about THE best documentary I've seen, thanks to @mousiegirl .  I'm still haunted by the story.  USS Indianapolis Live - From the Deep.  I will gratefully credit her synopsis:

"Take a live tour of the wreckage from the USSA Indianapolis, the WWII vessel lying at the bottom of the Pacific since its sinking in 1945. Video of the vessel, which was found in August, will be transmitted from a remotely operated vehicle."

Now I'm usually not interested in WWII, but on her recommendation decided to record it for my DH.  To be honest, the only info I had was from the movie 'Jaws' where Quint and Hooper were on the boat comparing scars, and Quint related he was one of the few survivors of the Indy after delivering parts of the first nuclear bomb before Indy was torpedoed by a Japanese sub.  Of 1,195 crewmen, only 316 suvived.

And they floated in the sea 4 days before rescued (by accident).

I had NO idea of how much the Navy was responsible for the disaster.

Besides the current filming on finding the wreckage (which is incredible, as they had no ship's logs to which to refer), there are also interviews with a few remaining survivors, photos of them, other crewman and ship at the time, and reenactments of their experiences...waiting for rescue that (almost) didn't come.

I know I sound like a crazy woman Woman LOL but can't remember when I was so moved.

Oh, it was broadcast on PBS.  They have streaming from their site, or you can search for your local PBS station to see if it will be run again.

@denisemb  and five nights, unimaginable!  I don't know how any survived.  I think I saw a movie about this many years ago.

So glad you enjoyed it, I was mesmerized watching at 3:00AM, happened to wake up and was lucky to see it.