Honored Contributor

Re: Three Identical Strangers

This is a really good Newsday article that updates what the adults are doing today and that gives the date of the major event that occurred in the film (I won't spoil it in case others don't know about it and still want to see the film) -- I wondered at what age that event occurred, which wasn't stated in the film.  It is in this article, as well as some surprising things about Bobby Shafran, the thinner of the two narrators.

(to the mods - there are no advertisements in this link so it shouldn't violate TOU).

https://projects.newsday.com/long-island/long-island-triplets-separated/

Honored Contributor

From Newsday:

triplets3-1 (1).jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the film last week and it left me angry. My undergraduate majori in college was developmental psychology and I read plenty of studies about twins separated at birth. I do recall one class where I questioned the ethics of the research. In those days, my objections were ignored, i’m glad that this film enlightens the ethical lapses of the so-called experts. All we can hope is that this will never happen again.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched it, and found it to be very dark...not a happy ending in the least and many answers still out there. What I was most disturbed about was the actual people complicit in this tragedy and deception. Dr. Pete Neubauer, an Austrian Jew who escaped his country in 1941, involved himself in a study of twins and triplets in a secret pact he made with a Jewish Adoption organization. They in turn lied to the adoptive parents as to what these visitations would be about. This would be unconscionable under any circumstances, but to think a Jewish Doctor at Yale and a Jewish Adoption agency would engage in this is despicable. They of all people MUST know of the experiments done on twins by Josef Mengele. Granted, Dr. Neubauer didn't conduct evil, torturous experiments, but just the same he was tampering with these kids' lives, and it wasn't just the triplets who were in this study. Many twins were as well. The ugly irony here is resounding.

Respected Contributor

this was a very disturbing documentary.  i gulped at that champagne scene at the Wise Agency after that first parent meeting. experimenting with babies hits a nerve with me. breaking up families too.  lots of ugliness to this tale.  including a lot of people who should have known better.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On CNN again tonight - 9:00 pm  ET.  Best documentary I've ever seen (although it was better at the theater with no commercials).  

Honored Contributor

I watched it twice.  It is a documentary, no actors.  It’s quite an eye opener.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986