Esteemed Contributor

I'm wondering what others think about the level of foul language in so many movies.  For me, it just diminishes my enjoyment, which is already pretty low.

Last night, DH and I watched "Bridget Jones's Baby" and I noted it was rated R.  OK.  There was some nudity (bare tops and backsides).  I can deal with that in limited doses.

However, the language was just relentlessly awful.  Every other sentence was F this F that.  Good heavens!  Not to mention the level of suggestive conversation and references to Vs and Ps.

Really?  A movie that could have been cute and sweet turns into a trash talking mess.

Why?  What is it that makes movie makers need to pepper the conversation with F and worse?

Obviously, they are not marketing to me, which is a good thing.  I do enjoy a good story, but the level of filthy language in so many films just ruins it for me.

Rant over.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thoughts on foul language

It doesn't bother me.

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean. I've been to a couple movies where the foul language just got to be too much and it ruined it for me. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with you O/P. When all they can do is swear, that's not a show, that's not communication, that's not a story. 

Esteemed Contributor

"Foul language" is used all the time.I hear those words all the time from everyone including professionals​.I'm immune to it.It doesn't bother me.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree 100 % @Witchy Woman.  It is too bad that so many are becoming immune to such language.  It does nothing to elevate the person whose mouth it is coming out of or the person that has to hear it.

Don't even get me started on using the Lord's name in vain.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me either but I have quite a potty mouth myself.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me either but I have quite a potty mouth myself.

Same here!

Trusted Contributor

Gratuitous foul language in movies bugs me.

Honored Contributor

It bothers me a little but not enough to take the enjoyment out of watching the movie or tv program.  Profanity is sneaking into regular tv programming now.  It's just the way things are.  Life moves on, things change and I don't spend much time worrying about things I can't do a thing about.