Respected Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@beach-mom wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

I think when Kevin said to his mother at the cabin, "we aren't talking to Randall, remember mom?"  it is because Randall kept their mother's declining health a secret from Kate and Kevin.  Remember, she made him promise not to tell them.  

@tends2dogs - You've got it! According to executive producer Isaac Aptaker:

"When it comes to the trouble between Kevin and Randall, Aptaker hints that fans may come to find out that rift revolves around Rebecca’s diagnosis. “Yes, I think that the secret could be it. There’s going to be a lot of complicated decision-making down the line regarding Rebecca’s treatment and care, and that all makes existing sibling rivalries rear their heads, for sure,” 

We'll have to wait and see why they aren't talking.  It probably is sibling rivalry over Rebecca's condition....remember she asked Randall not to tell the others.

But, wouldn't it be great if it was over something out of left field.  I don't think this will happen, but what if Kevin's fiance is Deja's mom?????  Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@Travone  I don't know how much of a hoot it would be.  Aren't both of them recovering addicts?  I can't see that happening, but you never know.  Maybe what I suggested is too obvious.  I can't wait to find out. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle hubs and I had that same conversation. That's why I wondered if Kate's character was hooked on drama.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Happy New Year everyone!

Here we go with the second half of Season 4!

Season 4, Episode 10 - "Light and Shadows"

Kevin searches for romance; Kate meets Toby's CrossFit friends; Randall travels to Los Angeles to be with Rebecca.

I have so many spoilers - I've been "collecting" over the break, and after tonight, I'll try to post the others that aren't addressed tonight.

Sophia Bush (One Tree Hill) has been added to the cast. Justin Hartley says Kevin finally knows what he wants, and that appears to be children, so most are saying she will be the mysterious mom of Kevin's son. Dan Fogelman will say only that she will have a major impact on Kevin's story line. So will she be competition for Cassidy? Fogelman said the story of Kevin's son's mother will be wrapped up this season, so we will soon find out. 

Pamela Adlon (Better Things) is also a new addition, and will "greatly impact" Randall's story line. Since he and Beth are fine, but Randall's anxiety is kicking up, I think she might have something to do with his mental health, or his care of Rebecca.

Oh yeah, John Legend will play John Legend, playing a piano, and singing a new song he has written for the show, "Conversations in the Dark." Remember "the family" - Legend is a judge on The Voice, and could have asked to be on the show - or TPTB at NBC could have asked him!

Kate meets Kevin's workout friends. Chris Sullivan says this might be something that drives Kate and Toby farther apart. And we go back in time to young Rebecca and Jack, just after Rebecca's dad tells Jack he's not good enough for her.

Starting next episode, they will repeat what they've done before. One episode focusing on one of The Big Three. The first will be Randall (surprise!). With Randall being Randall, and everything going on with Beth and the girls, and Rebecca's Alzheimer's, it should be interesting. 

More to come from me later - Enjoy eveyone! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom , thanks! 😊

Respected Contributor

The show completely lost steam after Jack died due to the crock pot incident. I cant stand when ladies at the Clubhouse constantly yap about this show.  Its a pale comparison to its predecessor "Parenthood" on NBC which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Esteemed Contributor

A few comments on this weeks episode:  I don't think that Kevin has changed his colors.  When he was with that girl, the one he took to see John Legend, everytime her "mother" supposedly called her, Kevin would say "does she want to talk to me?  what did she say about me?  Me, me, me.  I just can't get warm and fuzzy about him.  And now, Sophie is calling him.  She is probably asking for trouble.  JMO  Also, the John Legend thing was a bit out there.  Just a plug for him, but I guess you take it when you can get it.  

I am assuming that the man that Randall saw at the end of the episode was a figment in his mind.  Being under the stress of his mom may be bringing on some of his manic behavior.  I am saying this because of the flashbacks of Jack telling young Randall that aren't monsters.  Just a guess.  The guy could be real.  

I can see where Miguel was coming from telling Randall that he can take care of his wife.  Yes, it is a child/parent relationship, but now that  they have a clue of what is going on, Randall should back off.  I doubt if he will.  He is too "in charge".  

I wasn't going to keep watching this show, but my DVR recorded it and I watched it.  Oh well.......Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Season 4, Episode 11 - "A He*l of a Week - Part One"

Randall grapples with anxiety.

***THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SHOWCASE EPISODE FOR STERLING K. BROWN***

Executive Producer Isaac Aptaker says the whole episode will be "tense."

The first of three episodes centering on The Big Three, this is Randall's week. The following weeks will give us an idea of what happened to 18-year old Kate with Marc, and what happens with Kevin and the call from Sophie. Each episode will take place on the same day in the "present," with flashbacks and maybe forwards of course. The following episode will tie them together. We will have a good idea of what caused the rift between Kevin and Randall. Most are saying it's because Randall didn't tell anyone what was going on with Rebecca. 

In last week's cliffhanger, we saw an intruder holding a knife in the Pearson home right after Randall got home from California, and Beth and the girls were sleeping.

Right away everyone said it's a figment of his imagination. With his mental state and anxiety over Rebecca's condition, and his being exhausted, that makes sense, right? Not so fast! That's what they want us to THINK. But in this week's cast list there is an intruder listed along with a police officer. Could be, or not.

We also saw a fast forward with a mugger stalking Rebecca.

We will see 3-year old Randall talking to Jack about being afraid of monsters. Jack tells him monsters aren't real, and even if they are they would never get past him. Fast forward to last week's episode when Randall tells the intruder he won't get past him. Another "Jack Pearson's son" moment!

Some are saying Randall is flashing back to when he rescued Kate from her creepy boyfriend Marc. We see 18-year old Kate on the phone with him, asking why he is mad at her. Then she goes to her room and slams the door. Randall is talking to Rebecca, and Kevin and Sophie come in from college.

Others are saying it is real. Randall really does confront someone who breaks into his house. 

I tend to believe this version. I think the intruder is real, and whatever happens, Randall is OK physically, but not emotionally. He protects his family. 

After the producers told us she would be added to the cast and let us think Lizzy (Sophia Bush) would be a "recurring" character, the actress herself is hinting that her character might have been a one episode arc only! 

They do like to fool us! As Sterling K. Brown has said, ". . . when Dan thinks that you have him figured out, he often likes to flip it a little bit."

Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think there is another thread about this show so I'm not sure if I posted this on that one or here, so this may be a repeat.

I think the intruder is Kate's old boyfriend and Randall either broke up the relationship or had a confrontation with him. I think that is why the intruder said Randall would not get by him. 

I don't believe it's in his imagination.

We never really saw Kate's teen relationship tied up and ended, so true to form the show will bring that around to be revealed.

Also-Rebecca is not diagnosed with Alzheimers as of right now.

Kevin is my least favorite character and I thought Sophia Bush was only making one appearance.  I don't see Kevin getting involved with a married woman.  I also found his "first date" corny and more to show off what he can do.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  maybe you know this and just typed it backwards, but the intruder didn't say Randall will never get past him. Randall said that to him.