Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@beach-mom , thanks so much for posting the episodes information ahead of time! 😊

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@loveschocolate - You're so welcome! I enjoy finding things out (goes back to my "sleuthing" days on The Bachelor) and thought I'd share them! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For everyone who thinks Cassidy and Kevin will end up together, Justin Hartley (Kevin) just said in an interview, "Kevin is going to help her get her family back and help her fix this whole thing." 

Sounds like they will just be good friends. There is hope for Sophie! Although I think he'll end up with someone younger. We'll see! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

For everyone who thinks Cassidy and Kevin will end up together, Justin Hartley (Kevin) just said in an interview, "Kevin is going to help her get her family back and help her fix this whole thing." 

Sounds like they will just be good friends. There is hope for Sophie! Although I think he'll end up with someone younger. We'll see! Smiley Wink

Or he could end up alone.  He may realize he wants a child but not a relationship.

Honored Contributor

Season 4, Episode 6 - "The Club""

Kate and Toby try to make time for their marriage. Jack attempts to prove himself to Rebecca's father. Randall struggles to find his place with the other councilmen.

"The Club" is the country club, as well as a term for all of the things we'll see tonight about how the Pearson's confront race and class division throughout the years. 

Jack tries to gain his future father-in-law's favor by going golfing with him. Of course Jack is not the country club type. But years later he takes young Randall with him, and we see in the promo Randall saying something like, "You don't even like golfing, and I'd never be allowed in." Jack and Randall watch Tiger Woods' rise to fame, and how golfing changes. Adult Randall goes golfing. He is not the ordinary politician the other councilmen are used to, so he has to struggle to fit in and be accepted, which of course is not helping his anxiety. 

Kate and Toby try hard to find some time for themselves. Kate is stuggling with insecurity because of Toby's weight loss. As far as teenage Kate and Marc, good things ARE NOT coming. Milo says, "Oh my God, Kate in the very ending, It's 100 percent a thing," Executive Producer Isaac Aptaker says, ". . . although he seems like a sweet guy now, it certainly seems like that did not end well for Kate," Executive Producer Elizabeth Berger adds, "He's obviously somebody that goes for what he wants and feels entitled to show up to a place even when he's not invited. And we do feel like that is a little bit of a tell for where we're going and what this guy is all about." 

Are Kate and Toby heading for divorce? What do you all think? I really don't know. I hope not, but. . .

Kevin and Cassidy continue to grow closer. While they are working out at a gym Kevin asks her if she's seen her husband. He tells Cassidy about Zoe, who is now involved with someone else, and shows her Zoe's picture. He also tells her why they broke up - because he wants children. Cassidy teases him about his age. They have a back and forth banter for a while.

Aptaker says we will revisit young Kevin and Sophie later this season, and what it's like to be 18, unemployed, and living in NYC!  

So are we any closer to believing Kevin and Cassidy will end up together? 

I think they will not. I think they will be close friends for life, but I believe the producers won't give us the ending everyone expects from this relationship. They may "flirt" now and then, but I think Kevin knows where her heart is, and it's not with him. 

Is Sophie the mother of Kevin's child? She could be. They are 39 now, and the scene with Rebecca is about 10-15 years in the future. So it could be - I kind of hope it is. Kevin has been through an interesting story arc, but they are redeeming his selfishness this season. I think it's been there all along, just hidden! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Chris Sullivan (Toby) on the rest of Season 4:

“Wherever you think we are going, we are going in a completely different direction. The way the stories are unfolding is pretty amazing. Our writers and Dan Fogelman have done a pretty amazing job over four seasons keeping people surprised.”

So is a kiss just a kiss? Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I've been reading the summaries but haven't committed to pulling up the six episodes yet. How do you guys rate season 4? I loved season 1, and little by little, my interest waned but I still watched the next two seasons.

Respected Contributor

I still love this show.  I'm always amazed at how they tie things together.  Like last night with the golf.  Young Randall get advice from his dad and then at the very end, you understand how he was applying that advice as an adult. 

Honored Contributor

I dont think this season is measuring up, i almost found all the golf to be boring. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Season 4, Episode 7 - "The Dinner and the Date"

Deja pushes the boundaries of Randall and Beth's trust. Jack and Rebecca invite Randall's new teacher over for dinner.

Randall on the "Rocky" steps in Philly - what more could we want? (There were pics, but I think it was Sterling K. Brown and it might not be shown in the episode, but you never know!) Smiley Wink

Dan Fogelman said the inspiration for this particular episode was the chemistry between Lyric Ross (Deja) and Asante Blackk (Malik).

The episode will focus on Deja. We will see some of her past. She and Malik skip school so Malik can show her around Philadelphia and eat cheesesteaks! Anyone who has ever been involved with or been around a teenage romance somehow will know what happens when Randall and Beth say she can't see Malik. So they do the next best thing - they invite Malik's parents to dinner. They are hoping to get them on board with their disapproval about the teens' relationship. Malik comes from a different world. Each set of parents blames the other one for Deja and Malik's skipping school, and both are determined to break them up. And of course Randall will give them a "ship" name, "Dejik," or Maleja," eliciting disapproval from Beth! 

Asante Blackk (Mailk) says,

"Now, I think [This Is Us] is so important because there’s a stereotype about black fathers not being there for their kids. And I think it’s super important because we really want to show the nuances of human life and show that everything is so much deeper than it really seems. It’s really important to show a black father, who’s a teenager, who acknowledges he made a mistake. But he doesn’t see his daughter as a mistake. So he takes responsibility for his actions and steps up to the plate."

Writer Kay Oyegun says

"You get this lovely romance between these two kids that we rarely see, that kind of space for young black kids that's not surrounded by violence, that's not surrounded by hardness or pain or tragedy. It's really the simplicity of what it means to engage with someone you like, and in the most basic sense of the word."

So I think "Dejik, or whatever they call it, will be around for a LONG while. Apparently the cast and crew love Asante!

In the past Randall's favorite teacher and his wife have dinner at the Pearson's. Jack's insecurities creep in when he realizes he may not be able to offer Randall everything he needs in life. Jack sees his son - he doesn't see race, but he realizes Randall needs something he can't give him and he worries about that. But remember, at the end of last week, when Randall expertly hit the golf balls, after acting like he couldn't play with the other councilmen, he hit one in the water (because golf wasn't Jack's thing), saying, "This one's for you, Pop." Yeah, Jack had nothing to worry about. Smiley Happy