Honored Contributor

This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone! Here we go again! Season 4 premieres Tuesday night, September 24, at 9:00 East Coast time. 

Season 4, Episode 1 - "Strangers"

Jack meets Rebecca's parents.

(Well, THAT should go well! LOL!)

As in all seasons, this one will start with The Big Three celebrating their birthdays. They should be turning 39 in "present day." Baby Jack is five months old. 

Creator Dan Fogelman says Season 4 will be a past-heavy episode, and the spotlight will be on the 12-year old Big Three. He also said the first two episodes will set the whole tone of the season.

After their road trip to California when they were first dating Rebecca tells Jack, "It's so strange, isn't it? How just like that, a complete stranger can become such a big part of your story?

That really fits this season, and we're going to see A LOT of complete strangers!

The huge one is Jennifer Morrison (Once upon a Time), who will have "a substantial presence this season." Most believe she will be Kevin's true love, and possibly the mother of his son - or stepson, since she appears to be married at one time. We see her in a military uniform. 

We will also meet the following: Omar Epps (House), who could be a new neighbor of Beth and Randall in Philadelphia; Marsha Stephanie Blake (When They See Us), possibly his wife; and Asante Blackk (When They See Us), possibly their son. 

Auden Thornton will play "Lucy," a diner server who might befriend Nicky. M. Night Shyamalan has got to be playing a Hollywood director whom Kevin connects with! Also in the cast this season: Timothy Omundson (Psyche) and Nick Wechster (Revenge). 

Back to the first night:

After their trip shortly after they started dating Jack waits a while to call Rebecca, but asks to see her when he does. Of course she wants to, then remembers she promised to have dinner with her parents and their friends at their country club. Why doesn't he come? But he'll have to wear a jacket, which Jack assures her he can do (cue Jack running out to get a jacket somewhere!).

Rebecca has an "iffy" relationship with her mom Janet (Elizabeth Perkins), but is very close to her father Dave (Tim Matheson - OTTER! Animal House is still one of my guilty pleasures - but I digress Smiley Embarassed).  She is a real Daddy's girl. So this dinner will be interesting!

In the "present" day, Randall, Beth, and the girls have moved to Philadelphia. Randall is excited, as is Beth to open her dance studio, but the girls are not. They're living in a smaller house, in a diverse neighborhood, and adjusting to a new school. This is not what they are used to. Randall grows closer to his campaign manager Jae-Won (Tim Jo). According to executive producer Elizabeth Berger, things go smoothly for Randall and Beth - for a while!

Kate and Toby are learning to be new parents. According to Chrissy Metz, Toby has some tough days ahead, then she slipped and said, "We're going to see Kate and Toby co-parenting. . .," which is leading some to think they will separate or divorce. 

Kevin is still getting over Zoe, who will be back because she is part of  Beth's family, and spends a lot of time with his new nephew. We will probably not see Sophie this season, according to Justin Hartley. 

We will see how Rebecca and Miguel get together, but we won't learn why he wasn't at Rebecca's bedside in the finale last season until seasons 5 and 6, according to Sterling K. Brown. We will definitely see more of that scene and most questions about who was there, including why Nicky was there,  will be answered. Milo Ventimiglia hinted that Rebecca will "see Jack soon" this season. 

AND we will meet these cuties - The Big Three at 4:

View image on Twitter

Enjoy everyone! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

[ Edited ]

I've been a Miguel fan from the start. I couldn't understand why people didn't like him, as he was always THERE for Jack.

But tonight we'll see how that friendship started. As I posted above Jack needs a jacket to wear to the country club. So he goes to a fancy men's store to look. Miguel is the salesman. Jack sees the price tag, tells Miguel he just got back from Vietnam, and he doesn't have much money. He tells Miguel why he needs the coat. Miguel tells Jack his number never came up in the draft, asks him if "this girl" is worth it (of course Jack says yes) and since Jack isn't having the jacket tailored, why doesn't he "borrow" it and return it tomorrow. 

The start of the two of them always having each other's back. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 4 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

I've been a Miguel fan from the start. I couldn't understand why people didn't like him, as he was always THERE for Jack.

But tonight we'll see how that friendship started. As I posted above Jack needs a jacket to wear to the country club. So he goes to a fancy men's store to look. Miguel is the salesman. Jack sees the price tag, tells Miguel he just got back from Vietnam, and he doesn't have much money. He tells Miguel why he needs the coat. Miguel tells Jack his number never came up in the draft, asks him if "this girl" is worth it (of course Jack says yes) and since Jack isn't having the jacket tailored, why doesn't he "borrow" it and return it tomorrow. 

@beach-mom   I love Miguel.  I've only noticed one person on this board that doesn't like him.  I don't understand not liking him.

I thought he and Jack were together the night he met Rebecca.  I guess I'm wrong.  Who was he with that night?  Didn't Jack need money that night and get it from the friend he was with?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@beach-mom   I love Miguel.  I've only noticed one person on this board that doesn't like him.  I don't understand not liking him.

I thought he and Jack were together the night he met Rebecca.  I guess I'm wrong.  Who was he with that night?  Didn't Jack need money that night and get it from the friend he was with?

@NickNack - You're right! I remember that. Jack must have been with someone else. I'll have to check on that! It must have been around the same time period. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom   I'm pretty sure that when Jack asked Miguel for the money the night he met Rebecca that Miguel asked him if she was worth it.  I'll be interested in what you find out, because I'm pretty sure he and Miguel were friends before he met Rebecca.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack - It's in the Season 1 finale, "Moonshadow." Jack and his friend Darryl want to open a body shop, so they go to play in a big poker game at a local bar (Ray's) where Darryl's cousin Alex works. They win big in the poker game, and want to leave it. Apparently that's against the "rules" of poker - you can't win a lot of money and leave! (IDK about this as I'm not familiar with the unofficial rules of poker!) Of course Ray and his buddies don't want that to happen, so they follow Jack and Darryl, beat them up, and take the money.

In Jack's mind, the money is his, so he and Darryl plan to rob the bar to get it back. There's an elderly bartender working, and just as Jack decides to go ahead with it, he sees Rebecca singing "Moonshadow" at open mic night!

Remember the moon necklace he gave her later in their marriage that we see her wearing in "present" day? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   Okay, thank you for looking that up!  I was sure he had known Miguel longer than Rebecca.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

FYI, tonites show runs 8 minutes over, then New Ams. begins after. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOW! Of course I had to DVR so I just finished watching.

At first I wondered if anyone who was not really into this show would stay with it. The many people they introduced would have stories that SEEMED to have nothing to do with the Pearsons. But I sat there saying, "I know this show, and there's going to be a twist at the end." Of course we saw more than one. 

According to Dan Fogelman: "Normally you would meet characters through the eyes of your main characters, which always gives you a little bit of a skewed perspective, because you’re meeting them through our characters. But that’s not how you meet strangers in real life. The first time you meet the person who becomes your husband or wife or your new boss or your business partner, they’ve had a whole life before you and the meeting with them is your first experience of them. So I wanted to give the audience that feeling of getting to know these people before you got to know them in relation to our main characters."

So the title of the episode, which to me hinged on what Rebecca said to Jack in the car, impacts so many lives on this show.

We meet Darnell, Kelly, and Malik. They MIGHT be Beth and Randall's neighbors, but the way they will impact their lives is through Deja, who Randall (who finally appeared for a brief minute in the episode) when she came in the door asked that age-old "dad" question, "What happened to your face?" i.e. Are you wearing makeup? LOL! This will be interesting and parallel Rebecca and Jack's story a little - a blue collar family and a white collar family. One reviewer said Darnell is going to challenge Jack Pearson for father of the year after the talk with his son.

Most people think Cassidy is going to be Kevin's love interest. I read a few earlier today that thought she would be his daughter. I never thought that. The time frame is the present (Iraq or Afghanistan) and Kevin is just 39. Dan Fogelman says she will have a deep impact on Kevin's life. When I saw it was Nicky who threw the brick I realized this is how she would meet Kevin (but she hasn't met Nicky yet). 

And now we know Lucy from the diner is not Nicky's friend, as some reviewers had speculated. THAT was an amazing "twist." How ironic that Kate and Toby's son is playing to sell-out crowds and having the career his mother and his grandmother both dreamed about. The actor who plays Jack Damon, Blake Stadnik, is legally blind in real life, and Dan Fogelman said it was important for them to cast an actor who was. He also said we won't see grown-up Jack again for a little while. We know he is in his early 20's, married to Lucy, and expecting their first child. 

Rebecca's father Dave tells Jack he's going to do everything possible to keep them apart. It's not that Jack's upbringing is not the same as Rebecca's; it's that he senses Jack is carrying demons with him, and Dave doesn't want Rebecca to deal with that. Should be interesting.

Someone asked Dan Fogelman if Jack returns the jacket. He does! Smiley Wink

ETA: Dan Fogelman said the scenes with grown-up Jack (Damon) take place WAY in the future. He said when they are all at Rebecca's bedside he is about 12 (a hint he shows up - remember Toby says "they're on their way") and this is 10 years past that. So when we see him in front of the audience he is 22. 

Just thinking again. If when they gather at Kevin's home to say goodbye to Rebecca, Jack is 12, then how old is Kevin's son (or stepson)? He is supposed to be about the same age. So I will guess he will be born in the "present" time frame when Kevin is 39 or 40. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night was rather confusing, but I kept thinking it will all come together in the end, and it did !! For a while I thought I was watching the wrong show!!  Nice to see Tim Matheson as Rebecca's father.