Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 3 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@beach-mom wrote:

So now we know the baby in William's arms in my earlier post #4 is Sky, Deja's new friend, whose Mom was a widow from Nigeria welcomed into "the community" by William. She now lives in the same building, which Randall owns. It's just amazing how this show connects the dots! Smiley Happy

i had assumed last week the baby is Sky.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 3 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom...I was wondering where you were this Season and had missed seeing your thread until I just noticed it tonight!...Happy to "see" you!

I totally missed that connection in last week's episode and didn't realize that the woman at the center was the Nigerian woman whom William had befriended at his apartment building and that Sky was the baby he was holding....very interesting how they intertwine the characters!

I will have to go back and watch that episode over again!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

So now we know the baby in William's arms in my earlier post #4 is Sky, Deja's new friend, whose Mom was a widow from Nigeria welcomed into "the community" by William. She now lives in the same building, which Randall owns. It's just amazing how this show connects the dots! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   Does the woman from Nigeria who befriended William and was at the community center realize that Randall is William's biological son?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I don't remember exactly what was said, but, yes, I do think ChiChi knows that William is Randall's father.

And the Katie Girls probably refers to the scene(s) with the three Kate actresses together.

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove - Great to "see" you too! I'm glad we're all back - I couldn't wait for the show to start!

@NickNack - @VanSleepy already answered and I agree - Randall does know who Chi Chi is. I love how Chi Chi went from a shy, timid, drug-addicted new mom to who she seems to be now - one of the powerhouses in the community.

@VanSleepy - I think you're right about the "Kates"! Good call! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Season 3, Episode 4 - "Vietnam"

A young Jack makes a decision that will impact the course of his life.

We will learn in this episode what makes Jack Jack. Get the Kleenex ready! 

I think we already know that Jack did not grow up in a happy home, and that he was always very protective of his younger brother Nicky. We also know Nicky died in Vietnam.

Milo Ventimiglia (Jack) and Justin Hartley (Kevin) actually went to Vietnam to film scenes, and the producers brought on a Vietnam veteran who wrote a best-selling book about his adventures there as an advisor.

According to Milo: 

“I remember saying, ‘I’m going to tuck it down my heart like Jack is (a veteran).' The discipline, the heartbreak, the horrible stuff you see in war that you don’t want to expose your family to, I’m going to plug that into his psyche,”

We know like most veterans, Jack never shared his experiences with his family, except for one small time with Kevin. On the visit to Howard with Randall he said that Rebecca didn't know what he really did and what he really saw. It was just too hard. Before Kevin and Zoe go to Vietnam, he will talk to Mr. Robinson, who knew Jack there. Kevin is ready before they finally go. 

Jack feels guilt that he wasn't able to save Nicky, and his father blames him. He carries that guilt the rest of his life. It looks like Jack was working as a mechanic in a garage before he was drafted at the age of 25. We saw him talking to a doctor about protecting his little brother who was probably drafted too, and maybe he was trying to get the doctor to change his physical report so he could be with Nicky - or maybe the doctor found something that exempted Jack from service and he asked the doctor to change the report?

Remember in Season 2, Episode 5, Rebecca went to the hospital to see Jack's dad and introduced herself to him? So she had never met him. The hospital was trying to contact Jack, who was camping with his boys. When Rebecca finally got in touch with Jack, told him his father was dying, and asked if he wanted to see him, Jack replied he didn't and his father had been "dead" to him for years. But his mom was in his life. In the pilot episode he told Dr. K. his mom had knitted three onesies for the babies. I'm sure we'll learn more about her too. 

It will be a heartbreaking episode, but it turns Jack into the man he was after he met Rebecca. 

The producers are saying Jack's story in Vietnam will not be one episode only, but they will revisit his experiences throughout Season 3. 

Honored Contributor

Season 3, Episode 5 - "Toby"

Kate and Toby try to keep busy while waiting for big news; Randall embarks on a new journey; Kevin meets someone from his father's past.

All about Toby. We will see him as a young boy. He has stuggled with anxiety and depression since he was a child. Of course actor Chris Sullivan said we will cry, and Chrissy Metz (Kate) says her favorite scene from the whole Season 3 takes place during this episode. 

We will see Rebecca trying to cope after Jack's death.

It looks like Kevin finds some letters Jack and Mr. Robinson wrote back and forth. He and Zoe go to find him.

BTW - I thought it was great last episode that Mr. Robinson was the one who started the "Just Breathe" theme we've seen throughout the show! (Jack/Randall, Kevin/Randall, Kate/Jack, Randall/William)

We know Randall decides to run for city council so he can do something about fixing up the older buildings in the area, but he will not have a good reception from those in the area. Remember he doesn't live in Philadelphia, but he owns the building, so he can establish residency. But I think we know he will not move his family there! Also, Beth is now unemployed. How will Randall support her, since neither one is bringing home a steady paycheck?

We will find out this season how William got to Philadelphia from Pittsburgh. There are a lot of back stories this season! 

We see Jack and Miguel together in a scene where Miguel is still wearing his wedding ring. 

Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Season 3, Episode 6- "Kamsahamnida"

Kate struggles with Toby's depression; Randall makes time for Kevin, who obsesses about Jack's past.

Well - What a name! It is one of the words for "thank you" in Korean, not Vietnamese, so we can assume some of tonight's episode will take place in Korea or a Korean restaurant or something, especially since a "Korean waiter"is listed in the credits!

We see little Randall and Kevin, and grown up Randall and Kevin talking about Vietnam and what Kevin has found out so far. 

We will get more of Jack and Nicky's story in Vietnam. Jack is 25 and has been there around 6 months. He's an excellent soldier who is now in charge. Nicky is 21 and has been there a year. He's a terrible soldier, who has been stripped in rank and taken away from his duties as a medic. 

We saw the Vietnamese woman with the young boy wearing the necklace Jack gave to Kevin. Everyone is assuming Jack had a relationship with her. Remember this is before he met Rebecca. Kevin tells Randall that she had to mean something to him because of the necklace. Randall tells Kevin it was a chapter of his (Jack's) life he wanted to keep hidden. Is the woman Kevin's reason for going to Vietnam? Is she still living there? Her name is Hien, and actress Porter Duong will be in three episodes beginning next week. 

Executive producer Elizabeth Berger said the relationship between Jack and Hien is "a complex story." A lot of people think Jack had a child with her, and she said we'll "have to wait and see"! 

Vietnam is definitely going to be a complicated story. Kevin goes to the village and does get answers, but from people we haven't seen yet. 

Milo says something "ominous is coming."

Jack gives Kevin the necklace after Keviin broke his knee and tells him, “I got this at a very hopeless time in my life (maybe right after Nicky died). Someone very special gave it back to me in Vietnam.” The symbol on the jewelry is a Buddhist symbol of purpose. Is it possible Jack saved her son's life and she gave him the necklace because of that? Or did they have a closer relationship?

Toby and Beth are both having a rough time. We will see more of Toby growing up, and what seemed to contribute to his depression. His "dark secrets" will be revealed. Beth is not OK, but is struggling with things and feeling overwhelmed. Of course we know Toby is REALLY having trouble with withdrawal from his anti-depressants. 

Enjoy the episode. Smiley Happy

ETA: So I actually combined spoilers for Episodes 6 AND 7! Sorry - got ahead of myself. NEXT week is the story of Jack in Vietnam! Oh well - spoilers are spoilers! Smiley Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @beach-mom...I've been looking forward to your post!...I've been quite curious about the name of tonight's episode and now I know the meaning.

Also, as far as the little Vietnamese boy being Jack's, that would be impossible since he looks to be about 6 or 7 years old and we know that Jack hasn't been in Vietnam that long....Your post takes care of that speculation also since it indicates that Jack has only been in Vietnam for  6 months....unless the writers have quite a very interesting twist awaiting us in how this could have possibly occurred?....lol

Lots going on again in tonight's episode...I always record as I always need to watch each episode two or three times throughout the week to make sure that I haven't missed every little detail.

I'm really loving this Season! Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

Hi @MyShadowLove! It should be an interesting episode. There are all kinds of spoilers about Hien. Elizabeth Berger said we will find out her story, but we might not find out the story of the necklace quite yet! Of course - they would do that! She also hinted about a child, maybe one we haven't seen yet. I don't think so, knowing the character of Jack, but with this show who knows?! 

Almost time - Happy Watching! Smiley Happy