Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 3 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

There’s speculation on social media, that the boy running around is Jack, but that Kevin adopted him. Toby had no wedding ring on and Kate is MIA. Did she die? Toby has a history of depression and maybe he couldn’t raise Jack. This is ALL SPECULATION. We will have to wait until September for any answers. 

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV show, Season 3 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@loveschocolate wrote:

There’s speculation on social media, that the boy running around is Jack, but that Kevin adopted him. Toby had no wedding ring on and Kate is MIA. Did she die? Toby has a history of depression and maybe he couldn’t raise Jack. This is ALL SPECULATION. We will have to wait until September for any answers. 

This I can definitely disagree with! Jack would be around 20 years old, since we've been told Rebecca's in her 80's by Dan Fogelman. Also, Toby said he talked to Jack on the phone. The little boy is about 10 and says, "Hey Uncle Randall." Randall asks, "Hey, where's your dad?" The young boy says his dad went to get takeout, and Randall says, "Classic Kevin."

Other people are MIA. But I will agree with you that Toby has a history of depression. I don't think we're done with that story line. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loveschocolate ....We have to remember that the scene you are referring to takes place in the future...at least about 20 years or so...so Toby and Kate's son would be around that age....Kevin's son, also named jack, is just a young little boy.

Also, when Toby arrived at Kevin's house, he was greeted by Randall and remarked to him how big Kevin's house was so it appears that this was the first time that he saw it leading us to believe that he hasn't been in touch or around the family for a while...He also said to Randall..."I just talked to Jack and they are on their way", so I'm thinking that he may be referring to Kate also when he says "they"?

Another thing I noticed is that, while Randall and Toby were talking, I saw Beth, off in the background in the kitchen area, talking to another black woman so I'm thinking that perhaps Kevin ended up with Zoe again?

As you mentioned, we will now just have to wait until September for more answers!...At least they answered some questions that we all have been wondering about for some time now....only to leave us with more speculation of course....which is what I love about this show!

That was some season finale last night!...i really enjoyed it!

eta:...@beach-mom ...I just saw your post after I had posted the same reply to @loveschocolate, along with some other things that I noticed in last night's episode leading to more speculation!...lol

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

This season finale really didn't make me want next season. No cliffhangers. Just the same old, same old. I liked this series much better when Jack was still alive and it kept us wanting to know how he died. Now? Boring.

@ID2 - Again I have to respectfully disagree. No cliffhangers? What was Uncle Nicky doing there? Where was Miguel? What exactly is wrong with Rebecca? Why did they take the games? What happened after Kevin and Zoe broke up? Where was Kate? Was she with Jack? Toby said "I just talked to Jack and they're on their way>" Everyone is assuming it's Kate, but maybe it's someone else with Jack. Why isn't Toby wearing his wedding ring? Who is the mom of Kevin's little boy? Where were Annie and Deja? Those are just a few I can think of.

Not only do I want next season, I want it to start NEXT WEEK! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

eta:...@beach-mom ...I just saw your post after I had posted the same reply to @loveschocolate, along with some other things that I noticed in last night's episode leading to more speculation!...lol

NP @MyShadowLove  - the more the better! I probably repeated some of your thoughts too! Good catch on Beth talking to someone else - I'll have to check that one out again! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@loveschocolate ....We have to remember that the scene you are referring to takes place in the future...at least about 20 years or so...so Toby and Kate's son would be around that age....Kevin's son, also named jack, is just a young little boy.

Also, when Toby arrived at Kevin's house, he was greeted by Randall and remarked to him how big Kevin's house was so it appears that this was the first time that he saw it leading us to believe that he hasn't been in touch or around the family for a while...He also said to Randall..."I just talked to Jack and they are on their way", so I'm thinking that he may be referring to Kate also when he says "they"?

Another thing I noticed is that, while Randall and Toby were talking, I saw Beth, off in the background in the kitchen area, talking to another black woman so I'm thinking that perhaps Kevin ended up with Zoe again?

As you mentioned, we will now just have to wait until September for more answers!...At least they answered some questions that we all have been wondering about for some time now....only to leave us with more speculation of course....which is what I love about this show!

@MyShadowLove   I think I must be very unobservant.  I didn't hear Toby comment to Randall about how big his house was.  I even wondered if Rebecca was in hospice.  Except for Kevin's son running around I wasn't sure it was someone's house.  I also didn't see Beth talking with another black woman in the kitchen.  I often don't notice what the rest of you all notice.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@MyShadowLove   I think I must be very unobservant.  I didn't hear Toby comment to Randall about how big his house was.  I even wondered if Rebecca was in hospice.  Except for Kevin's son running around I wasn't sure it was someone's house.  I also didn't see Beth talking with another black woman in the kitchen.  I often don't notice what the rest of you all notice.

@NickNack - It's hard to pick up every detail, especially when they're going back and forth in time. Only by re-watching again and again and watching for specific things - and of course doing a lot of sleuthing - do I know this! Rebecca is in hospice in a wing of Kevin's home. 

Toby says, "Man, Kevin's house is huge. Thanks for calling. I got the sidewalk chalk. I just talked to Jack, and they're on their way." (IMO the comment about Kevin's house being huge might not mean it's the first time he's been there, or it could. Maybe Kevin bought or built that house with the idea of having Rebecca there too.). 

"They're on their way" could mean two or more than two people. Maybe it's Jack and Kate. Maybe it's Jack, Kate, and Kevin's wife (I don't think that will be Sophie. This is a young boy, and Sophie is Kevin's age. Maybe Kevin is a single dad.), or someone else. 

Randall says, "I'm glad you decided to come."

Later Randall says, "I'm going to go say hi."

IMO that doesn't mean it's the first time he (or the rest of them) has seen Rebecca in a long time. She could have been somewhere else for a while, or in the hospital, and is now at Kevin's for hospice. I'm going to assume the reason Tess says, "I'm not ready" and Randall says, "Me neither" at the end of Season 2 is because the doctor has told them to come. They've all probably been to see her many times, but the doctor has made this visit seem crucial. 

Some are speculating about the focus of Rebecca's car accident. They think she got into a more serious one with Miguel and he didn't survive, and she's been in critical condition since. IDK. I do know brain damage can show up years later, but again, Mandy Moore has said Rebecca is fully aware of her circumstances. If it turns out it is something like this, she lied during the interview - of course only to mislead us! But I still think she's blind, and that is why Randall told her who he is. 

Other things I noticed:

Kevin's son looks exactly like him. The other woman Beth is talking to in the kitchen is Tess. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   I appreciate your posts so much.  They pull everything together for me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack - I appreciate yours too! It's great for me to discuss this show with others who enjoy it as I do, or once in a while with someone who doesn't. I like trying to figure things out, and I will continue to do that! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack ....Ditto everything that @beach-mom  stated in her post....Thank goodness for her guidance!...lol

I have a habit of watching each episode twice throughout the week and I always find that I have missed some detail or something that was said and that's exactly what happened to me when I posted about the "other black woman" that Beth was talking to in the kitchen....It had totally slipped my mind that Tess went to the house also and so it turns out that Tess was the "other black woman" that I was referring to in my post...mystery solved...lol

I'm going to be watching it again tonight and make sure that I have everything straight....There is so much going on and switching from past to present to future that it takes at least a couple of times to watch to make sure that I haven't missed anything.

So you see, you are not unobservant at all...You are just like the rest of us and can easily miss something....In my case, I end up creating speculation about something that ends up being perfectly clear...LOL

I love how this show makes a fool out of me and just keeps me pondering and speculating! Woman Very Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~