Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 6 - SPOILERS!!! Don’t read this if you don’t want to know!!!

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 - I think you're right about Nicky and Sally. As much as I wanted that, as you said, that would be too predictable. And if there's one thing we know about this show. . . LOL!

I really like the way they introduced Edie. And when we saw the look on Nicky's face - I know he's acting, but Griffin Dunne nailed it!

Dunne says even HE thought they would continue the story line with Sally, and he was surprised.

"We're kept in the dark about what happens. I think they really like to surprise us. And, quite honestly, I was considering a whole huge Sally arc. I thought that would be a long-running thing. I love being upended in my expectations. Reading it the first time, I got a real chill and a smile going on when I saw that they connected on that plane. It was such a great surprise."

I like what he said about their romance too:

"There's something incredibly beautiful about a man finding the right one in these August years and I think that's a trait I can safely say without giving anything away that it's Nicky's deserved chance at life."

"Nicky"  is in his 70's. Edie is played by Vanessa Bell Calloway, who is actually in her 60's.

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 6 - SPOILERS!!! Don’t read this if you don’t want to know!!!

@beach-mom   I laughed at the end when he was leaving and said he was "going to throw up". 

Dunne is perfect for this role.  He doesn't have to say a word-his facial expressions are all that is needed sometimes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Season 6, Episode 3 - "Four Fathers"

Jack, Randall, Kevin and Toby struggle to connect with their children.

THAT LOOK!

I could watch that look over and over! How many of us received "the look" when we were young, or gave "the look" to our own children, nieces or nephews, or students? LOL!  Sorry- I digress!

We saw Randall give Deja the look because he heard Malik's cell phone message to her. As much as Randall and Beth like Malik, Deja lied to them and she will face the consequences. Apparently Tess was the only one who knew she was going to Boston (I thought they all knew.).

Parenting challenge #2 - Kevin, who has decided that, even though his feelings for Madison are growing, he needs to move out. He is upset that he won't be there for his children all of the time. Kate talks to him and tells us it's good, it's just different. He has also decided to do The Manny remake. 

Justin Hartley said Kevin has been looking for the perfect wife and mother for a long time. He will finally get to the point where he realizes he can be happy in the world he lives in and THAT will open the door to love.

Parenting challenge #3 - Toby. We will soon start to see how things in his marriage go wrong. Remember he doubted his fathering skills when Jack was a baby (Season 4, Episode 14), and ending up playing with his Star Wars toys with him.

We see into the future in this episode, and will see Jack as an adult with his wife Lucy. IDK if we'll see baby Hope. 

Parenting challenge #4 - Jack, America's perfect dad! But he loses Kevin at the movies. We've seen so many heartwarming times with Jack and his children.

This season is focused on Rebecca and how she impacts her family. But Jack is spotlighted too. There is no doubt he influenced his family and still does.

We have not seen the last of Sally. She starts to question her unhappy marriage. Will she reach out to Nicky? Or will she touch base with Rebecca, since the two of them got along so well and had some special moments together. Wouldn't it be something if she and Rebecca stayed close and she is one of the ones we see at the cabin? 

Nicky gave a hint of what's to come when he talked about Jack's influence in Rebecca and Miguel's getting together. I think Nicky returns to Pennsylvania and becomes part of The Big Three construction company- just maybe. We will see the beginning of his romance with Edie soon and how that develops.

Next week will be a Jack-centered episode. Dan Fogelman says it's his favorite "Jack" episode.

Enjoy!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 - You're so right about Griffin Dunne! His expressions are priceless and he's so good in this role. Best supporting actor nomination maybe? I no longer watch award shows, but I will if he's nominated!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   I thought Deja lied to both Beth and Randall but did tell  Tess.

That is why Tess winked at her when she was leaving.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 - That's exactly what happened! I think someone distracted me and I missed all of the detail at the beginning. I don't like missing anything about this show, and my family knows that! I'll go back and watch the beginning again. (I ve already watched the end about 3 times- LOL!). 

Honored Contributor

I love how Beth and Randall mesh. Randall had to go for a run he was so angry, and Beth was the calm one, telling Randall she would take Deja to get birth control. 

Deja is in love, as Beth says, but according to Dan, it will be a bumpy road for them. Everyday life gets in the way for them both.

Deja is 16, so Malik must be 18 or 19.

And there were consequences. As Beth said, (holding Deja's phone) "Like she's not going to see this again until they come out with the iPhone 30!" 

You have to appreciate the humor those two can bring!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Season 6, Episode 4 - "Don't Let Me Keep You"

Jack visits Ohio.

This is it. The "all about Jack" episode we've been promised. Dan Fogelman says a lot of questions will be answered, and he says it's his favorite "Jack" episode. Milo says it was hard to film.  "You’ve been warned, very much. It really hurt me, like me personally.”

We know Jack goes to Ohio because his mother Marilyn has died. 

Back when Jack was young we saw the relationship he had with his dad Stanley. Everything seemed good at first. Stanley was a good young father, who probably served in either WWII or the Korean War. Things seemed fine at home- until Nicky was born.

There's so much, so I apologize if I'm all over the place. When Nicky was born we started to see Stanley turn. Standing with HIS father (Jack's grandfather), who also is emotionally distant and offers Stanley a drink. Stanley tells him he knows Stanley DOESN'T drink.  Stanley is proud of his new son. He tells Jack he has to always protect his younger brother. (Season 3, Episode 4).

Sometime after this Stanley DOES start drinking, and he becomes abusive. It is during this time we learn Jack has heart problems and dismisses them to protect his mom and his brother.

Some think Stanley had PTSD. Some are saying Stanley and Marilyn lost another child after Nicky, and that's why he started drinking.

When Jack returned from Vietnam he moved his mom out of her home and into a home with her good friend Debby, played by Camryn Manheim. We don't know exactly what his contact with his family was, but we know he called her every Sunday. 

Remember she thinks Nicky died in Vietnam. She knitted outfits for The Big Three when they were born. Jack also called his dad and asked him what he prayed for. Stanley said he prayed that his children would turn out better than he did. 

Jack has a good day at the movies with the little Big Three, then gets the call about his mom. He has to write the eulogy.

It looks like the  five of them go to Ohio. Debby is not thrilled he's back, but Mike welcomes him. We see the little Big Three ice skating with Debby and Mike while Jack and Rebecca watch. Since it looks like Marilyn is not there, it is probably when they are back after she died.

Since we have repeating themes in this show- like alcoholism and PTSD - I hope we go deeper into how these things affected Jack's relationship with his mother.

Debby says it's been 13 years. Did his mother meet his family? Why not? I hope we get these questions answered. Also Stanley was alive when Marilyn died. Was he there?  

What do you think? 

Get the Kleenex ready!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Great episode! Milo - and Mandy  - were fantastic. But I'm not sure we had a lot of questions answered. 

Jack must have felt guilt about not seeing his mom more often. Even though they talked on the phone every week, that couldn't take the place of a visit. And Marilyn talked about her grandchildren all of the time. She probably would have liked to see them more.

But I thought the whole point of the episode was Marilyn had a happy life with people who loved her. 

Some posters thought they would tie this in to The Big Three losing Rebecca. I really didn't think so - just because we've seen that so much already.

I hope the beautiful kitty is OK! Or she could live with Mike!  Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

Last nights episode which was centered around Jack was heartbreaking.  It touched me so deeply and brought me to tears.   Sorry it'll be the last season.  I'll miss it.