Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

I agree that underneath Kevin tries to do the right thing and his upbringing in a loving home has molded him.

I do believe he is still not quite there putting his needs in second place (or third or fourth) just yet.  The Madison storyline is brining out a softer side to him but he is almost 40 years old. 

His cruel remarks to Randall were made out of spite to deliberately hurt.

Not cool for a grown man.  Junior high would be bad enough.

I think he reacts without pausing to think things through more than the other characters.

However, he is still part of the family and doing the best he can.  He's just not my favorite.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

Is this season going to be the finale?

I imagine Kate going to see Marc after 20 years is concluding her awakening to her eating disorder and how Marc was still in control, in her mind, all these years.

That is why she said she was giving it all back to him.  She released herself from the doubts about herself as a good person.  And yes, her eating disorder could very well have been caused by the abuse and her own feeling about the abortion.

She's been "feeding a need" all these years.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I think it was a mistake to have Kate see Marc. Really- what happily married woman would do that, even for closure? And it was especially puzzling since he was an abuser. 

On to find more spoilers!  Smiley Wink

I agree about Kate going to see Marc.  It just didn't seem real.  I have heard some women writing a letter to their abuser.  This part of the story of her having the abortion just seemed like it was thrown in.  She lost her father in difficult cirmcumstances at a young age which would cause trauma and maybe cause her to make bad choices with Marc they could have skipped the rest.

Honored Contributor

I have to agree, I thought why have her go see Mark, but then I guess it did give her back some self esteem. 

Frequent Contributor

While I thought having Kate go see Marc was a bit unbelievable, I just appreciate having a storyline that isn't Randall-centric. I get so tired of it being the "Randall show."

Don't get me wrong, I like his character, his family and the actors, but sometimes it is overwhelmingly heavy on their stories. Even next week we have to endure an entire episode about his dead mother.

I'm not looking forward to that. I would much rather see an episode about Madison.

Respected Contributor

I agree that it was odd for Kate to go and look up Mark, "her abuser".

Maybe I'm being dismissive, but a six month, lousy relationship during your teen years is almost typical.

Having an abortion, alone, would be far more traumatic.

And regarding Kate's abortion, to me it's INSANE that she never told Toby! This is a girl who wants to share minutia! Makes no sense.

I'm team Kevin all the way. He's one of the most endearing characters I've ever encountered.

IMO, it's Madison who's being unreasonable and irrational. His work requires him to travel! This is somehow a surprise?

She's fortunate that his income will allow the family to stay together.

I miss Uncle Nicky.

Randall, Randall, Randell....

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I agree that it was odd for Kate to go and look up Mark, "her abuser".

Maybe I'm being dismissive, but a six month, lousy relationship during your teen years is almost typical.

Having an abortion, alone, would be far more traumatic.

And regarding Kate's abortion, to me it's INSANE that she never told Toby! This is a girl who wants to share minutia! Makes no sense.

I'm team Kevin all the way. He's one of the most endearing characters I've ever encountered.

IMO, it's Madison who's being unreasonable and irrational. His work requires him to travel! This is somehow a surprise?

She's fortunate that his income will allow the family to stay together.

I miss Uncle Nicky.

Randall, Randall, Randell....

@sabatini  That relationship was more than just "lousy".  First, Marc was 24 and Kate was 18.

Making remarks about her weight. taking off on her and leaving her stranded on the road in the night, locking her out of the cabin in the freezing cold-I don't know about you but I don't find  that as just a "lousy" relationship.

Marc was terribly abusive to her both emotionally and physically.  Hardly typical of a teen relationship.

Honored Contributor

Since this is the final season, I imagine the writers are going to pack as much as they can to tie up any loose ends.

Randall's story is still not finished so it doesn't surprise me that there will be an episode about his mother.

Kate's story seems to be almost finished as far as her past with Marc; there always seemed to be something dangling about them and the abortion summed it up.  Now all we need is the adoption to be finalized either with Ellie or with somebody else.

We've seen how Rebecca will end up and all that is missing is where is Miguel in the future and why is it Nicky at her beside.  Nicky is coming back, too.

I don't care for the Madison storyline; it's almost too typical.  I don't mind Madison and Kevin is starting to grow on me but not by much.  I don't see them together in the future.

Missing (of course he's dead) in flashbacks is Jack.

We still will need to see Beth and the girls in the future, too.

The show will end with all characters finalized in the future so I expect more episodes focusing on each person to tie it all up, both past, present, and future.

I will miss this show

Honored Contributor

Hey everyone- this is NOT the last season. Season 6 will be the last. The producers and the cast have all said we will be very happy with the ending and it will be a feel-good ending.

The latter part of this season will focus on Miguel and Rebecca and their current and past relationship. We will see how they got together after Tess' birth. And remember, Miguel has two children. It seems like we would learn something about them too.

There will be twists and turns along the way, but we've already had glimpses of what will happen when we see Kevin's future house. 

I'm not yet sure how the far future, with Jack and Lucy and their baby daughter Hope, along with his sister Hailey, will fit into the mix. I'm going to bet we'll just see glimpses, and the actual end of the show will happen long before that time (at least 10 years or so).

I'm still concerned about one thing. We don't see Kate, but Randall talks to Jack and says, "They're on their way." Who is the "they"? It could be Jack and anybody. Chrissy Metz jokes about the assumption everyone has that Kate is no longer with us.  How can we be happy if we learn Kate is gone? And there's that cryptic thing Randall says to Toby on the phone, "She'd want you there." We all assume the "she" is Rebecca. Toby is alone, looking sad.

So many things to figure out!   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Hey everyone- this is NOT the last season. Season 6 will be the last. The producers and the cast have all said we will be very happy with the ending and it will be a feel-good ending.

The latter part of this season will focus on Miguel and Rebecca and their current and past relationship. We will see how they got together after Tess' birth. And remember, Miguel has two children. It seems like we would learn something about them too.

There will be twists and turns along the way, but we've already had glimpses of what will happen when we see Kevin's future house. 

I'm not yet sure how the far future, with Jack and Lucy and their baby daughter Hope, along with his sister Hailey, will fit into the mix. I'm going to bet we'll just see glimpses, and the actual end of the show will happen long before that time (at least 10 years or so).

I'm still concerned about one thing. We don't see Kate, but Randall talks to Jack and says, "They're on their way." Who is the "they"? It could be Jack and anybody. Chrissy Metz jokes about the assumption everyone has that Kate is no longer with us.  How can we be happy if we learn Kate is gone? And there's that cryptic thing Randall says to Toby on the phone, "She'd want you there." We all assume the "she" is Rebecca. Toby is alone, looking sad.

So many things to figure out!   Smiley Wink

@beach-mom   Thanks!  I thought this was the final season.  Happy to know we have one more to go.Woman Happy

I would imagine the ending would not be too sad although we know Rebecca is not in a good way healthwise.

I think Kate missing in that future episode is just a distraction.

Unless Kate and Toby get divorced, which seems unlikely considering the theme in this show has always been about good marriages.

And if Madison is having twins, why do we only see one child with Kevin?

Ugh.  So many theories, so little time.  LOL