Super Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

I am looking to Randall for the set-up...he siad he isn't even sure if "today is my birthday"...it will probably be the firt question he asks his mother......I wonder if he will hire a private detective ???

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

I liked it and I didn't like it.  I think Kevin has always been kind of spoiled and self indulgent but he has a good heart.  I wish he and Randall would quit butting heads --- they both want to be No. 1 and in charge.  I was actually kind of unhappy with Randall in this episode.  He was kind of mean toward Kate, etc.  I mean, it's not her fault and the others in the family, that he had the family history that he had.  He grew up in a loving wonderful family and he is acting like he was treated so badly by them.  I get that he has issues which they cannot understand but he shouldn't lash out at them.  Maybe by changing therapists, as he has said he is doing, he can get some of these things worked out and find peace within himself.  The story about Rebecca and Miguel is so touching and I just love it.  I really like the show how it goes back and forth, even though it does get confusing at times.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Regardless of how well Randall was raised and loved, this scene between him and Jack sums it up:

Young Randall and Jack are out together and Jack tells Randall that he doesn't see his color.

Randall replies:  "Then you don't see me".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Regardless of how well Randall was raised and loved, this scene between him and Jack sums it up:

Young Randall and Jack are out together and Jack tells Randall that he doesn't see his color.

oh please! Jack sees him as his son, not his black son. He sees kate and kevin as his son and daughter, not his white son and daughter. who they are is not the color of their skin, only then can we all be equal.

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

oh please! Jack sees him as his son, not his black son. He sees kate and kevin as his son and daughter, not his white son and daughter. who they are is not the color of their skin, only then can we all be equal.

@willomenia   You miss the point completely.  Yes, Randall is Jack's son regardless of color.

But Randall is a young black child living in a white world.  Face it.

Things were and still are different for black children.

That is what Randall was trying to say, not that

Jack had to "see color" but he, with all his love, still didn't "get" what it meant to Randall.

Remember how Randall took immediately to the college where he wanted to be with his black friends.

Of course color shouldn't matter.  We get that.

The issue is Randall, through the years, felt that HE was the one who always had to be careful around his white siblings so as not to upset them in terms of THEY might be feeling that they could be upsetting him.

Randall is the one who inspires me the most.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@willomenia wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@willomenia   You miss the point completely.  Yes, Randall is Jack's son regardless of color.

But Randall is a young black child living in a white world.  Face it.

Things were and still are different for black children.

That is what Randall was trying to say, not that

Jack had to "see color" but he, with all his love, still didn't "get" what it meant to Randall.

Remember how Randall took immediately to the college where he wanted to be with his black friends.

Of course color shouldn't matter.  We get that.

The issue is Randall, through the years, felt that HE was the one who always had to be careful around his white siblings so as not to upset them in terms of THEY might be feeling that they could be upsetting him.

Randall is the one who inspires me the most.

I get the point, just don't agree with you

Honored Contributor

Season 5, Episode 2 - "Changes"

Kevin and Madison navigate their engagement as Kate and Toby take a big step in their adoption journey. Jack and Rebecca brace for puberty.

Randall has a new therapist to be excited about, a young father - maybe "Dr. Wilton" (Tony Winters).  Some are speculating he is somehow connected to Laurel, but would they be that obvious? Beth is still helping her girls with their virtual classes. 

What happened to Laurel after she took that breath we all saw last week? Dan Fogelman says her story will be resolved quickly, so at least we won't have to wait long for that! Did she eventually have a family? Are there going to be more extended family members for Randall?

Madison and Kevin discuss their future. Even though she "released" Kevin after his proposal, does Kevin want that? Their road will be rocky, but living together during quarantine will help their relationship grow. Rebecca and Miguel want to celebrate their engagement because they think it's real. Kevin gets a role in a big movie that requires him to do some sex scenes. Madison doesn't seem to be thrilled about that, and the fact that Kevin will not be eating much. And remember, Madison has an eating disorder.

Kate and Toby meet "Ellie" (Annie Funke), who is thinking about giving her baby up for adoption. Toby of course has doubts about whether or not she will go through with the whole process.

In the past we will see The Big Three reach puberty, which means a doctor's visit and THOSE boy/girl talks with Rebecca and Jack. Of course Kevin's already in love with Sophie!  Smiley Wink

Enjoy everyone!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I seen Kevin is wearing a chain.  Did he ever find/get back his dad's necklace that he lost (or was it taken from him?)?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog - He did!

In Season 2, "Number One," Kevin goes back to his old high school to accept an award. He reconnects with his former classmate Charlotte, who is now a doctor. Kevin sleeps with her then takes her prescription pad to get drugs. Once he leaves he realizes he left his necklace, but she won't let him in or listen to him. 

Later in Season 2, "That'll be the Day," Kevin writes to Charlotte, apologizing for what he did. She sends him the necklace. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow - Laurel is the woman in the picture! She obviously was not the little girl's grandmother, or the little girl would have known that. Can't wait to find out more soon!  Smiley Happy

Just watched some parts again. The grandfather says, "Preparing a meal is a way to show someone you love them. I learned to cook because I want to impress someone very special to me. I will not tell you who I cook for, but I will show you how I cook for her."

The granddaughter asks if she is the woman in all of the pictures and the grandfather says yes while smiling. They cut to a picture of a young Laurel and Hai.  

Kane Lieu is the young man in the picture. 

Notice he uses PRESENT tense, which means Laurel is still with us!  Smiley Happy