Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

@Cakers3 wrote:

:

@beach-mom   Yeah, I was the idiot who thought Cassidy might be Nicky's daughter but the timeline is off.

So now I've switched gears and think Sally had a baby girl (Nicky's), baby girl grows up and marries Dr. Eli, and they have a daughter Sadie (the horse girl).  She even has red hair like Sally.

So Sadie is Nicky's granddaughter.  The timeline would fit.

@Cakers3 - It would! 

I still think too Dr. Eli fits into the picture Kevin made for Randall's girls in the first season. It's either what you're saying, or some kind of connection to Dr. K. Maybe it's his son and granddaughter.

They had to recast someone else as Madison's OB because of filming issues during quarantine with actor Josh Hamilton. They haven't said if he will be back. Obviously he won't be back as Madison's OB! 

I think Kevin's really falling hard for Madison, and I think she fell for him before the babies were born.   Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I enjoyed last nite, I am really starting to like the Phylicia Rashad character, and i like her interaction with Bethany !!!

@Shelbelle - ITA! Doesn't she remind you a lot of "Clair Huxtable"? I started telling DD about that character, and she said, "Mom I've seen The Cosby Show." I've always thought of Phylicia Rashad as "Clair," but I'm starting to see her as "Carol." 

EP Casey Johnson said she will be sticking around for a while. We have a Beth-centered episode coming up- how it has been for her this past year with owning her dance studio and supervising her girls while they attended online school.

I will never get enough of "Mama C"! I wish we could see her and Rebecca together- they have a long history!  Smiley Happy

For sure, her new character is Claire Huixtable revisited, She ran the Huxtable house, Cliff was just background noise, Rashad always plays a very stoic woman. A critic posted today that the scene between her and Bethany with her head on her shoulder was one of the best written scenes of this season.  Well done !!!!

Honored Contributor

is nicky wearing a wedding ring in the future?

could it be that rebecca sees him as jack (she may be in the later stages of dementia/alzeheimers) and they are trying to keep her calm and comfortable so nicky is "being jack" for her benefit?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

is nicky wearing a wedding ring in the future?

could it be that rebecca sees him as jack (she may be in the later stages of dementia/alzeheimers) and they are trying to keep her calm and comfortable so nicky is "being jack" for her benefit?

@sunshine45 - They pointedly show Nicky's ring while he is sitting by Rebecca's bedside. I think it's meant for all of us to see, and not from Rebecca's point of view. But as we all know, things in "This is Us land" are not always what they seem!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Season 5, Episode 13 - "Brotherly Love"

Kevin visits Randall in Philadelphia.

The long awaited conversation. Remember their blow up at the end of Season 4? Just in case, here is the dialogue:

(The fight started because Randall convinced Rebecca to change her mind and go to St. Louis for the experimental Alzheimer's treatment.)

This isn't about me Randall. This is about you.

It's not about Mom. It's about you wanting to save Mom. 

You have no idea. That's what this is about.

You have no idea what you're talking about Kevin. You have no idea what it means to actually take care of people.

Oh yes. Oh exactly. Because I left right?

Because I left and you stayed and played martyr.

I stayed and I took care of our family, man.

Well you did a good job taking care of Dad, didn't you?

What the _ is that supposed to mean? You want to do this now? 

Please. Go ahead. You want to do this now, finally,  after all of these years?

Let's do it. You know this whole narrative that you keep spinning, this narrative that you took care of the family, where the _ did that come from? Huh?

'Cause all I know is if I'd been there.

Mmh-hmm.

I would have walked through literal fire and I would have pulled that man out.

Mm.

Well Kev, I guess we'll never know because you weren't there. And he died ashamed of you. And I think. . . I think that's the part that really gets you, isn't it? The shame that he felt for you and the pride that he felt for me. I mean you're not even chasing Dad's shadow Kevin. You're chasing mine. But you'll never be him and you'll never be me, because you'll never know what it's like to devote yourself to anyone other than yourself. You'll pretend but it will just be a performance. A tired, stale performance. Like all of your performances. 

You know, I used  to think the worst thing that happened to me was the day Dad died. It's the day they brought you home. Hand to God Randall, the worst thing that ever happened to me was the day they brought you home.

(The brothers have had an uneasy truce since.)

There is an awkward time when they first see each other, with idle chat and subtle teasing. Kevin walked off his movie to get to Madison, but all is forgiven in Hollywood and he will do some reshoots. When they finally get down to it they revisit their childhood and what it was like for Randall growing up knowing he was a different color from the rest of his family. We'll see their relationship at different stages of their lives.

This episode will be a showcase for Justin and Sterling.

One clue, but I can't find anything out: "next door neighbor "!  

Enjoy!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Well, I guess we found out how the hint the producers gave played into the episode!

At first I thought Randall was imagining life with his real neighbors (not the older couple who gave Rebecca and Jack their crockpot). It was interesting to learn how he was imagining life with a different family.

We have a break until May 11. It looks like we'll get the story line about how Beth copes with running a dance studio during quarantine. 

Honored Contributor

Last nights show was a winner for me, loved it and can sure understand about Randall's pretend family. Well done !!

Probably pandemic related, but it is so obvious that the shows are limited to few cast members each week. Mandy Moore is probably on maternity leave. 

Honored Contributor

I agree last night's episode was one of the best in this series.

Big time kudos to the writers.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Last nights show was a winner for me, loved it and can sure understand about Randall's pretend family. Well done !!

Probably pandemic related, but it is so obvious that the shows are limited to few cast members each week. Mandy Moore is probably on maternity leave. 

@Shelbelle - Good catch! I hadn't thought about that, but now that you said it, the limited cast is obvious!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Back tonight- three more left in Season 5! They are airing two fewer episodes than were originally planned due to production issues brought on by the pandemic.

Season 5, Episode #15 - "The Music and the Mirror "

Beth navigates her career path. Kate and Toby face unexpected issues. A run-in with someone from his past gives Kevin pause.

Somehow there's a lawyer involved!

Beth is struggling with running her dance studio during the pandemic. We've seen her deal with Randall's quest to find Laurel, and we've seen her deal with situations at home, but we haven't seen her teaching her dance students online. 

Any dancer knows how important a mirror is!

The title of the episode is from A Chorus Line. In the musical Cassie ( the main character) can't find work as a dancer on her own, so she reluctantly goes back to being one in a chorus line. 

This could parallel Beth's passion to open her own studio. Because of the pandemic will she have to give it up? Or will she be able to teach virtually? We all know in the future she has her studio, but does she give it up for a while? We will also see teen Beth again and how important dance has always been to her. And of course we'll see a younger Mama C!

A Chorus Line also has a story line about Cassie asking her former love for another chance. We know someone from Kevin's past comes back. Sophie? Of course!

Amanda Leighton (teenage Sophie) said in an interview she would be in one of the last 3 episodes. I think it might be tonight. And we might see everything that led up to Kevin and Sophie's divorce.

A lot of fans think there will be a big blowup between Kevin and Madison over

Sophie. They think Kevin will choose Sophie and we have seen signs leading to this. What do you think? (I wanted to go back and look for signs, but I have to prepare for a meeting tonight!) 

Meanwhile Toby doesn't want to be a stay-at-home dad. But Kate is really enjoying her new job at Jack's school.

Enjoy!  Smiley Happy