Honored Contributor

This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

Hi everyone! This is a thread for spoilers for upcoming episodes, and to speculate about what we think might happen. 

Here we go! Season 5 premiers Tuesday, October 27, at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time for two hours - opposite Game 6 of the World Series Smiley Wink

Season 5, Episode 1 - "Forty"

As always, this episode will start with a birthday. The Big Three are now 40!

Series creator and executive producer Dan Fogelman said they are including current story lines. Fogelman says Season 5 will be about “uplifting moments and new beginnings.”

We will see Jack and Rebecca as young parents this season. We will also see how Rebecca and Miguel got together – 10 years after Jack’s death and after Tess’ birth. They will be driving to St. Louis for Rebecca’s treatment. Rebecca might be remembering things about their relationship as her treatment starts. It will be interesting, and of course Mandy Moore is expecting in real life. I wonder how they will cope with that throughout the past, present, and future story lines! We will see!

Randall and Kevin are still not speaking on their 40th birthday. Kate and Kevin will be at the cabin with Rebecca and Toby, and Randall will celebrate with Beth and the girls. The brothers weren’t close for a number of years, but hope is coming! Beth will be in contact with Kevin, without Randall knowing it at first.

Sterling K. Brown says the first two episodes of the season are terrific when it comes to “current events,” and people will be very happy with how the writers are handling this world today.

We will get more information about what happens to Randall’s three girls in the future, and we will see more of Kate and Toby’s son Jack and his adopted sister Hailey. We will get an answer to where Kate is when everyone gathers at Rebecca’s bedside in the future in the next two seasons. Since Fogelman said Season 6 will be the last one, that makes sense! Remember all the other things related to the scene at Rebecca’s bedside in the future – Kevin AND Nicky are both wearing wedding rings, Miguel is not there, and neither is Kate.

The first episode shows Kevin arriving at Kate and Toby’s home with Madison to tell them about her pregnancy with twins. Speaking of Kevin, at his 40th birthday at the cabin his fiancée is resting with morning sickness. Madison would be about 8th months along, with twins, who are often born early. So. . . is it possible his pregnant fiancée is not Madison? We haven’t seen the last of Sophie and Cassidy either. Kevin tells Madison he’s “all in.” Here’s what Justin Hartley said in an interview: “Hmmm. I wonder if Kevin being all in with Madison is really that at all. I wonder if he's really all in with Madison. I wonder. I dunno.”

Madison’s OB doctor Eli will have a prominent role this season, and he will be important in Kevin’s life. Remember too, at the end of last season we saw him with his daughter Sadie. Fogelman says there is a reason he was introduced in the same episode Dr. K. was in. So there must be a connection. Are he and Dr. K. related? 

Kate and Toby are solid for now. We will find out what happened to Kate in the past, and it’s traumatic. Chrissy Metz says Fogelman asked her if she could handle filming it. It might have something to do with Marc.

And Toby? When asked in an interview what was coming in Season 5 for Toby, Chris Sullivan said, “Double down”! 

And of course, Fogelman says, “There’s going to be something big in the season premiere.” As if we didn't know - LOL! 

Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

Looking forward to it!  At times it's hard to keep up but it's always interesting!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 5 - SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!!!

Glad there was a pre planned timeline for ending the series after year 6. It's nice to see a show wrap up in a logical way.

Honored Contributor

Sterling Brown will be on Fallon tonite. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG - Dan Fogelman said he will not alter the ending, even though they might "tweak" some of the story lines getting there. He said all of our questions will be answered.

The network wants him to stay longer. So far he says no. We will see!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I know we're  starting season 5 Tuesday night, but I just read an interview with Milo Ventimiglia (Jack). He was asked if he knew how the end of the show (season 6) would play out. He said he does. He says it will be "magical and hopeful."  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, THAT was exciting! Dan Fogelman didn't disappoint us - there WAS something exciting in the season premiere!

Laurel is played by Jennifer C. Holmes. She has already been in three episodes (flashbacks) from 2016-2018. We were promised more of William's back story, and we definitely got it tonight. Ships that pass in the night - Jack and William at the hospital - twice.

More tidbets from Dan as to what to expect coming up;

The "Laurel" story line will be resolved soon. Is she alive? Does she connect with Randall? We will get answers soon.

Kevin and Madison's relationship will be up and down. He said, "It's not going to be this easy love story, like some of our other love stories have been." This leads me to believe it WILL be a love story, and at the end it will be Kevin, Madison, their son, and their daughter. I think we've already met his son -in the flash-forward Rebecca's bedroom episode. But we also know Kevin has a lot of Oscars to win yet (noticeable on the shelves in his house in he future), so I don't think he will settle down soon. And we've been promised Cassie and Sophie will both be back. So the bumpy road makes sense. 

The Rebecca and Miguel story line was altered because of the pandemic story line. But we will see the story of their courtship, starting later this season and into the next. 

And when the show first started Dan Fogelman said there was no way he would let his wife do a love scene with Justin Hartley! As Fogelman said last year, they wore him down. Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

@beach-mom :

I didn't finish watching last night's episode.  Were Kevin's Oscars in last night's episode?

Super Contributor

Randall said "I don't even know if today is really my birthday."

It seems like he was born the day before.  I think William made a comment to the paramedics that Laurel had the baby the day before.  William dropped Randall off at the fire station the next day when the other 2 were born.  So he might not share the same birthday as the other 2.

Honored Contributor

Nice twist of an ending last night !!