Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm surprised to read here that there are so many people here (and elsewhere) that feel manipulated/mislead by the show. 

It is entertainment. If they want to twist and turn the plot, give me half stories, steer me down a dead end road, I'm all in for it. It keeps it interesting.

I spend a little bit of time trying to guess what will happen, but in the bigger picture, I want to watch something like this and just 'feel' it in the moment. This show is great at giving me that. 

And I love the William character and story line. For me, it peels away the layers of someone that on the outside, we see as something easily defined (a drug addict), when in fact, he is so much more than his addiction. 

@Mominohio  I'm not sure who said they felt manipulated but my comment about being lead during season one with Jack's drinking/driving was not meant as an attack against this show. 

This Is Us is more than we thought; clues about Jack's death and interesting bits and pieces of things said/done/clothing worn/etc. have really pushed this show into a whole different area; one of guessing and double-guessing which makes it all the more interesting above and beyond the family issues.

I love this show and find it refreshing not only for the characters but for the way we are left to imagine what happened to Jack.

After all, who doesn't love Milo?  No wonder he is really the central character.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@beach-mom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm not so sure if the burnt house indicates how Jack died.  We were taken down the same path when he was driving while drinking last season.

He may have burned down the house while drinking but nobody died.

@Cakers3 - That's an interesting theory! Trying to put the pieces together - we saw Rebecca with Jack's things. The firemen were still there with the police tape around the house, so the fire had to be recent. Jack died before the fire, or Rebecca wouldn't have had his things in a bag -- or did she take those things from a hospital where he was admitted? That happens all of the time when the hospital asks you to take your loved one's personal items home so they won't have to worry about them. Rebecca's screaming could have been just in reaction to the fire only.

BUT - we saw Miguel and the kids crying, Kate saying she had to let Kevin know - was that about the fire or her dad possibly being in the hospital? Again, we are supposed to pay attention to the three clues. IMO Kevin's cast is a huge one. As I said before, he wasn't in one at Jack's funeral. The dog is a clue too, and a lot of people here and everywhere else think Jack ran in to save the dog. The third clue is Randall's girlfriend. Can't figure that one out at all, unless Randall was with her when the fire happened (?)

Milo's cryptic "Did he die in the fire, or did he get out of the fire," and Mandy's "That's just a piece of the puzzle" are telling too - they're telling me that we don't have the whole story. They said we wouldn't. Milo has said in the past that alcoholism plays a big part in it.

That's why your theory that he accidentally burned down the house makes sense. There are just too many things that lead in other directions too - I guess we'll see! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  I think the fire will tie in but I don't think Jack died in the fire.  We don't even know yet where it started; basement?  Kevin would have had to go back to living upstairs with that cast.  Which means if he didn't move back with Randall maybe Kate gave up her room to Kevin and was in the basement. 

Oh and the house was a fixer-upper; wasn't the new washing machine acting up last season?  Maybe something electrical in the basement??

Something too-Jack was cremated.   So ashes and fire.

But the bag with Jack's items and ring-nothing looked burnt. 

Kate's guilt about the death being her fault.

I have to go back and watch season 1 again.  There are clues many of us may have missed without realizing that this was going to be a puzzle-more than just about family relationships.

This is like trying to figure out if Reddington is Liz's father in the Blacklist.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

As far as the screen going black when Jack closed the door on Rebecca, I took it as he was giving her an out. I thought she was mulling over what he said for a minute and then wanted him to come home to work things out.

Esteemed Contributor

Cakers wrote:
I'm not so sure if the burnt house indicates how Jack died.  We were taken down the same path when he was driving while drinking last season.

He may have burned down the house while drinking but nobody died.

@Cakers3....I have a feeling that he didn't die in the fire and I also don't think that he was responsible for the fire...I'm thinking that the cause will be due to something else or by someone else...I don't recall Jack being a smoker or ever seeing him smoke at all?

Don't you just love all of this speculation....so much fun sharing with everyone!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

Jordan2 wrote:

As far as the screen going black when Jack closed the door on Rebecca, I took it as he was giving her an out. I thought she was mulling over what he said for a minute and then wanted him to come home to work things out.

@Jordan2....What made it stand out to me is that the scene was broken up with the black screen so, therefore, it made me suspicious that the writers were giving us two options to ponder....rather than the scene just continuing with the outcome....quite interesting how they did that and I think it was to tease us again?

Or could it be that I am becoming somewhat delusional?....It's all Fogelman's fault!...lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

Things I loved (and you regulars may remember I was down on the show for its last few episodes of last season) or mostly loved:

That Kate the audition all about her weight and they showed it's in her mind, it was all about her voice; that other singer was terrific

The Kevin/Kate stuff.  Toby needs to grow up, if you love someone you respect and aren't jealous of their siblings.  Especially a twin.  Good people don't do that.  Still can't stand the character or the actor.  But not everyone is a good person and that's how I look at it.

Randall and his wife, the whole adoption thing, the scene in the park, it felt genuine not contrived ( as opposed to William's saintliness).  

Kevin/Sophie and her mother's MS, also didn't feel contrived, the way it was written was organic.

Kevin buying out the restaurant.  Toby not being able to get into his car (haha!).

And of course Rebecca's reaching out to Jack.  That melted me.

I hope they stick to organic stuff like this and as the seaso goes on they don't take the cheesy road they always take with Willliam.

@LoriLori, I loved the scene where Randall was talking to his mother Rebecca of how he came to be adopted. She told him his father pushed and he became their son. I  loved that Beth had the book of poems bound in leather for Randall. I get the feeling Jack died maybe a couple of months after going back to the house with Rebecca. I don't deal with alcoholism in my life, it had to be so hard for Jack to hide it from Rebecca and that no one, kids, friends, and wife had no idea.

@Jordan2- I cried during that scene! Her story to Randall about how he became their son overwhelmed me, and I cried.

I was thinking that maybe the second time that Rebecca knocked on Jack's door was in her imagination? Maybe she wished she had gotten him out of the house? She kept repeating "Get into the car. Get into the car." But, if that were the case, it would have been Miguel's house that burned, since that's where he was staying.

When Rebecca drove up to the burned up house, I saw the red mailbox that said "Pearson." Unless of course it was his father's house?

I love that they dropped these hints like breadcrumbs. I know that it annoyed many people that the hints were so mixed up, but really, what do they want? The entire story in the first episode?

This program is so well written, I don't for one second believe they will pull a dream sequence or any sort of unreality. It will all fall together, as long as we keep watching.

As an aside, I think that the redheaded girl was Miguel's daughter. Could be, right?

Can't wait until next week!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@beach-mom

I am not sure about this , you see Rebecca going back to the house with a bag Jack belongings next to her in the car

@beach-mom wrote:

HUGE CLUE:

Dan said to pay attention to the three clues. Remember in a previous post I wondered why Kevin's being in a cast was a clue.

Kevin was NOT in a cast at Jack's funeral. So just maybe Jack had died earlier and the house burning down was what they were all talking about and crying about. It may have been too much for Rebecca to lose her husband and then watch her house burn down. 

It's just an idea floating around. It may or may not be close to what happened. But the cast/no cast thing has to make us wonder! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom- re: the comment you wrote about Jack's funeral. Did we actually see Jack's funeral? If we did, I do not remember it one bit. Please explain? Thanks!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@MyShadowLove  The black screen thing was interesting.......perhaps there was a lapse in time.....like maybe even weeks???

I thought the same thing about the house she pulled up to.  I don't remember it being that big either.  Did they build a new home?  The red mailbox had their name on it, but could it be Jack's parent's house........are they still alive?

I don't think that Jack died in a house fire.  Actually, I would be disappointed if this is what happened because it would be too "simple" of a clue.

I don't remember the fake smoking from last season.  I would guess the only relevance it has is that they have a this type of close relationship - they get each other - you know what I mean?  I thought it was clever in a way.

I must say that people that don't enjoy a show that doesn't follow a start to finish timeline,  really shouldn't watch this show.  It is never going to be enjoyable to them.  Nor the ones that don't like to speculate and look for clues.  I think it is a great departure from all the other kr@p that is on the tube.

@tends2dogs....I'm not sure if his parents were still alive at that point in time when Jack's kids were teenagers...They would have only been in their 60's or 70's at that time, so it's possible...We haven't seen much of his parents, only enough to know that his father was abusive and also the time when he went to his father for a loan when Rebecca was pregnant so that he could buy Rebecca the house, but it was very obvious that they have been estranged for a long time as his father didn't even know that Jack was married.

I also don't think that Jack died in the fire and I don't think that he caused the fire....I have a feeling that it is all going to be due to something/someone else?

Don't you just love all of the clues and teasers and speculation....It is what makes this show so fascinating and I agree that it is definitely very refreshing amongst all of the "kr@p"....Its popularity and ratings speak for themselves!

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@beach-mom- re: the comment you wrote about Jack's funeral. Did we actually see Jack's funeral? If we did, I do not remember it one bit. Please explain? Thanks!

@sunala - Season One, Episode 13. Right at the end, we caught a glimpse while Kate was in her camp remembering.

Image result for this is us jack's funeral scene

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Wow, that was one heck of an opening episode!...I actually watched it again tonight before coming here to read everyone's thoughts and perspectives....I had to rewatch the ending over and over a few times....It was amazing even though it left us with a lot of "speculation"!....It keeps us thinking and that's what I love about it so much!

I didn't see anyone mention something very interesting in the scene where Rebecca goes to Miguel's house to bring Jack home so that they could work everything out together....Did you notice that, after Jack initially closed the door on Rebecca, the screen went black for a few seconds...and then we were brought back to the same scene, except it was done differently... with Rebecca telling Jack to "get in the car" and he leaves with her....I think the writers are playing with us again, as usual, and left us with two options of what could have happened?....Jack either stayed at Miguel's house or he did go home with Rebecca?...So, it is possible that they were still separated at the time of his death...Am I making any sense here?...I just found the  screen going black to be an interesting way of breaking up that particular scene...perhaps?

As far as the house that was totally destroyed by fire, it had to be Jack & Rebecca's as it showed the red mailbox with their name on it....although I don't recall their house being that large?...The children, except for Kevin, were at Miguel's house and I think the girl with the red hair may have been one of Miguel's daughters?....Also, Rebecca wearing the Steelers' jersey made me think that perhaps she was somewhere watching a football game when the tragedy occurred and was called and had to rush to the hospital to be with Jack...That would explain his personal belongings in the plastic bag and Rebecca driving by the house and breaking down at the sight?...I don't think that she was there when it happened?

I'm not really convinced that Jack's death was caused by the fire, although the writers certainly did a good job of leaning us towards that direction?

Oh, one more thing....the "fake smoking" by Randall & Beth....This is the first time I have seen it, as I don't recall it during the first season....What is the meaning there?

Okay, I think that is it for now!...I'm so confused and Iove it!...lol

Absolutely brilliant in the way this show is done! 

@MyShadowLove  The black screen thing was interesting.......perhaps there was a lapse in time.....like maybe even weeks???

I thought the same thing about the house she pulled up to.  I don't remember it being that big either.  Did they build a new home?  The red mailbox had their name on it, but could it be Jack's parent's house........are they still alive?

I don't think that Jack died in a house fire.  Actually, I would be disappointed if this is what happened because it would be too "simple" of a clue.

I don't remember the fake smoking from last season.  I would guess the only relevance it has is that they have a this type of close relationship - they get each other - you know what I mean?  I thought it was clever in a way.

I must say that people that don't enjoy a show that doesn't follow a start to finish timeline,  really shouldn't watch this show.  It is never going to be enjoyable to them.  Nor the ones that don't like to speculate and look for clues.  I think it is a great departure from all the other kr@p that is on the tube.

@tends2dogs, I have been on @beach-mom's thread throughout season one and I'm entitled to my opinion that it's manipulative and no, I do not enjoy speculating (without basis, because the scripts give teases but not genuine hints) or looking for clues (that are almost always misdirection).  

I don't appreciate you saying I and others who agree with me "really shouldn't" watch the show.  We got through season one without any discord or disrespect of others, with mututal respect and tolerance for a wide range of opinions.  Hoping season 2 stays classy and as always thanks to @beach-mom