Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@Evie2004 wrote:

I finally Googled Mandy Moore tonight, wondered who she is, I still don't know who she is, I have never seen or heard of her before this show..Never was a fan of chick flicks..

this series is getting waay too soap-opera-ish for me! 

Not sure how it can continue for another season.

She has a lovely singing voice. If you are able to look up "A Walk to Remember" (teenage movie) and watch her sing her song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8f8RHWMPyY

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

[ Edited ]

What I thought of at the end of this last show was-

Ok, it seems the director wants to throw all meaningful, relevant, real-life problems he can get in there!

Overload on angst!

We have the always sad miscarriage which is hard for most to watch, drug addiction which probably every family or friend has known in some way, and adoption plus throw in a dysfunctional and addicted mother of the adopted who is also very troubled!

Oh and of course William's cancer, not to mention Jack's addiction.

Everything but the kitchen sink!

I'm starting to think maybe the director should get out of his own way.

Its like throwing everything at the tv screen you can think of.

The one thing I did like about this last episode was Mandy Moore's character finally was nice and also encouraging to Kate-at last. I thought that was her best scene. And I haven't liked her at all before this so was glad to see it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I thought #2 was a great show.  They touched on everything.  As far as what Kate said to Toby about it happened to her that's the grief talking.  I have a friend who felt the same way when she lost her baby a few years ago.  Everyone deals with grief differently and lashes out to their loved ones.  They fixed it in the end and that's all that matters.

Honored Contributor

Episode #10 tonight - "Number Three"

Randall and Beth are faced with a hard choice. Jack takes Randall on a college tour.

The final episode in the trilogy, and the last one before a short holiday break, is all about Randall.

In the past Jack and Randall visit Howard University, which is why they miss Kevin's big game. Randall also has applied to Harvard, and Jack is pulling for that one, but Randall has a different idea and thinks he'd be happier at a traditionally black college. Then they get the phone call that Kevin is in the hospital with a broken knee/leg. In the present there is major drama with Deja. She is warming to the Pearsons, but then her mom is released from prison and wants her daughter back. Randall and Beth don't think she is capable of raising Deja, and try everything and anything to keep her. Randall is losing control, and he doesn't like to lose control. This may result in a cliff hanger, as suggested by one of the associate producers. There will definitely be one. 

There is another flashback to The Big Three celebrating Christmas when they were 10. 

And from the promo pics it looks like Kevin gets his necklace back somehow, unless he's remembering and it's a flashback. Smiley Wink

I honestly thought we would know about Jack before the break. I guess not. I do know we will know everything by the end of the season, and there's a long way to go. One theory is we will find out on the 20th anniversary of his death. The Big Three are celebrating their 37th birthdays, and we know Jack died when they were in high school, so this might be it. We DO have Superbowl Sunday coming up! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Tonight was one of the better, if not the best of this new season.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

Tonight was one of the better, if not the best of this new season.

@lulu1 - ITA! Sterling, Milo, and Susan were all AMAZING!!! 

I told myself I wasn't going to cry during this episode. I almost made it through, until we saw the little boy (5-6 probably) sitting with the social worker. Sterling K. Brown hints that he will be the next child to come into the Pearsons' lives, and we will be seeing a LOT of him. This will take place during the Superbowl episode. 

One of my favorite parts of the episode was when Jack and Randall were at the Vietnam memorial. I thought for a minute we would see Jack's brother's name, but I should have known better! The writers on this show would never do something that obvious! He put his hand on a certain part, but it could have been any name on the wall - maybe a friend. Who knows? He shared with Randall things he never told Rebecca. The way he talked I think he was more than just a "mechanic" there. We'll find out. 

Another poignant part for me was Deja's goodbye. It looks like the young actress playing her is not signed for anything coming up, so we may not see her again. How Randall based his decision based on what William told him about "almost" knocking on that door just broke my heart. I knew when they showed the scenes of him at the Pearsons all of the time that he was imagining or dreaming. We already knew from Season 1's Thanksgiving episode, when Randall found Rebecca's letter, that he wasn't there. Randall knew he and Beth would give Deja everything she needed to succeed in life, but Shauna is her mother, and that is what she needs. 

Jack smiling watching his family and the camera focusing on the end of the Pac Man game "Game Over" gave me chills. I think that is a hint of what is coming when the show picks up in January. We have eight episodes to find out the whole story of Jack's death, and I think they'll start telling it right away. As I posted earlier, some are saying it might be around the time of this year's Superbowl. Would the producers really do that to us?? 

Sterling also said Kevin has reached his lowest point. The first episode back we will see how Randall realizes his brother's addiction and wants to help. But he's angry about what happened too - Kevin being too drunk to realize Tess was in the car and putting her life in danger. (We DO see a lot of children hiding in back seats on this show!) Kate also feels guilty about Kevin's addiction. 

We also found out during this episode that Randall lives in Newark, NJ. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Good episode last night. I loved how they showed Randall speaking with both his fathers, William at the beginning, Jack near the end of the episode. It was sad that William knew where Randall was, but he didn't want to intrude, giving the ultimate scarifice for Randall, seeing what might have been. All Things Must Pass playing as Randall and Jack are in the car talking, how Randall needs to find his own way, Jack opening up to Randall at the Vietnam Memorial. It was sad Deja's goodbyes. Loved that she referred to Randall as her foster dad, she let him hug her goodbye. I know Deja loves her mother and wanted to be with her, but she must have had mixed feelings. She was thriving with the Pearsons and got to feel like she was part of a family. I think Randall will finally get his boy. It must be hard being a foster parent, you get attached to the child, but it must always be in the back of your mind this might be temporary. 

Respected Contributor

I still think that fuse box has something to do with the fire.  We've seen it time and time again. I think Jack goes back inside to save the dog.

I didn't think Randall lives in Newark, rather Deja and her mother do.  When Randall said he'd help with Deja's studies, I thought her mother said they lived all the way in Newark.  Didn't Randall say that was OK?

Honored Contributor

Deja and her Mom live in Newark, NJ.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom, please can you help me out again:  It didn't sound like George Harrison to me.  Was that a cover or was I just not hearing it since it was so low?