Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

Last night was 100% undisguised soap opera.  Compelling, but let's not let the showrunner pretend it's high art.

Last night was the first time I loved the music.  The opening with "Where Do the Children Play" was lovely. 

"These Days" is one of my favorite songs and brought a tear to my eye -- but was it a Jackson Browne version?  It was faster than most of them and I wasn't sure if it was a version by JB I've never heard or a cover?

Oh, Kevin, leaving the necklace there, you drunken idiot.  That broke my heart.   I don't think she'll ever give it back and I don't want her to -- if she does they'll make it some overblown soapy moment.  He messed up bigtime, I want him to pay that price.

The text Kevin got from Toby was a giveaway Kate lost the baby, it was so obvious.  I don't even want to watch her episode.  

I don't think the teenage Kevin is a good actor.  Justin Hartley was better than usual;  I thought he did great.  But teenage Kevin, no, I don't feel anything there, just a kid reciting lines.

Yes, there's still written prescriptions.  Depending on state law controlled substances can or even have to be on written prescriptions.

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us TV Show, Season 2 SPOILERS!!! - Don't read this if you don't want to know!

@LoriLori wrote:

And yours too, @Tique.  

@BarbaraQVC, hope you see these new posts.

@LoriLori... Well, it would appear the demise of the 'ignore button' has been greatly exaggerated... Or, one guesses, merely excludes we peons...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Okay I must be the biggest geek on the planet because I take notes during the show so I can contribute on the boards with all you wonderful members! I know some of you do not like the music on the show, but I find it moves the storyline along and Where Do The Children Play by Cat Stevens is a great song. Each week the show bookends the episode with great scenes. Seeing Kevin at the beginning as a baby, taking his first steps, with so much promise for the future. The last scene with Kevin hitting rockbottom , a broken man finally wanting to admit he needs help. After the big bombshell about Kate, how can he now tell Randall what he probably came there to tell him? It seems the end is near for Jack as the kids look the right age, Kevin has the cast in his leg, and Kate has the dog. I like how the show mashes up the present and future. Kevin looking at his old house, seeing the burnt empty shell as well as the home as it now looks. The scene with the coach and seeing his father too, and the scene with Kevin thinking about the game when his world changed forever, and Jack giving him the medals that meant so much to him.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Okay I must be the biggest geek on the planet because I take notes during the show so I can contribute on the boards with all you wonderful members! I know some of you do not like the music on the show, but I find it moves the storyline along and Where Do The Children Play by Cat Stevens is a great song. Each week the show bookends the episode with great scenes. Seeing Kevin at the beginning as a baby, taking his first steps, with so much promise for the future. The last scene with Kevin hitting rockbottom , a broken man finally wanting to admit he needs help. After the big bombshell about Kate, how can he now tell Randall what he probably came there to tell him? It seems the end is near for Jack as the kids look the right age, Kevin has the cast in his leg, and Kate has the dog. I like how the show mashes up the present and future. Kevin looking at his old house, seeing the burnt empty shell as well as the home as it now looks. The scene with the coach and seeing his father too, and the scene with Kevin thinking about the game when his world changed forever, and Jack giving him the medals that meant so much to him.

@Jordan2 - I think you're right!. I like the music too. I know at one time one of the producers said in an interview to pay attention to the music playing - which is why I used to post the lyrics to the last song. 

Kevin said he "would walk again, just in time to bury his beloved father," so I think we're a few months away. I also think, and this is just a guess, that we will know next week. The cast and crew has been talking about these "dark" episodes, and next week we will see Kate experience the loss of her baby. That seems like a good time to let us know, since Kate is the one who told Kevin, and who kept all of it bottled inside her for so  long. They might wait until Randall's week, but I'm pretty sure we'll know before the holiday break. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I like this show and sometimes I hate it. If the actors weren’t such good actors, I wouldn’t care. The show is just excellent from that standpoint.

I’m wondering if they can take the show into a “warm fuzzy place” at Thanksgiving now knowing we are on the brink of such tremendous sadness?

It is just uncomfortable for me to watch the characters (particularly Kevin and Kate). Their self-destructive ways truly make me uncomfortable.

This could be a real downer.

I need to look up the 2nd song... not familiar to me?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Barbara-QVC@stevieb@Tique:

Next week's episode is devoted Kate.  Who lost her baby.  How can we discuss it without talking about her weight?  From what I saw just one person took offense and the rest of us were poofed as a result. 

So please advise before the episode devoted to Kate:  Can we talk about her weight or not?  Whether we are "respectful" about it is in the eye of the beholder so guidelines would help a lot!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom, were you able to find out whose version of "These Days" that was?  I'd really like to know.  I know Jackson Browne backwards and forwards and the tempo was faster but that doesn't mean it wasn't a more recent version I've never heard.  Much appreciated because I love that song so much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@Barbara-QVC@stevieb@Tique:

Next week's episode is devoted Kate.  Who lost her baby.  How can we discuss it without talking about her weight?  From what I saw just one person took offense and the rest of us were poofed as a result. 

So please advise before the episode devoted to Kate:  Can we talk about her weight or not?  Whether we are "respectful" about it is in the eye of the beholder so guidelines would help a lot!  Thanks!

@LoriLori... Reasonable question here, but not sure you'll get an answer. It's my opinion that deleted material from last week shouldn't have been, but the sense one gets is admitting that was perceived as a power struggle, of sorts, so rather than simply subtly acknowledging fallibility by quietly reinstating the posts, it was easier not to respond to inquiries... To respond to your earlier suggestion that I participate in the ongoing discussion about Kate and Ms. Metz, I'm afraid I'll have to decline. Despite her being an actress and this being a television forum... unless something changes, there would seem to be no point in doing so. My posts on this thread seem to rankle. I'm either chastised for not adoring the show or deleted for apparently making remarks that upset the homeostasis, for some folks, anyway... It seems like a bit of a waste of time to make the effort only to be summarily dismissed. Maybe a thread on obesity and role models over in Wellness is indicated...

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  and  @stevieb

I hope you both see this. After reflecting on this for a few days, it felt like a temper tantrum to me. Throw a tantrum. Get what you want. Come back and start posting like the whole thing never happened. To put it mildly, it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth and definitely set a bad precedent.

In the future, I am going to try to be careful about the posts that I quote. If there's a chance my post will be reported and subsequently deleted, I don't want it to affect someone else's. When I was replying to some of the posts regarding Kate's weight, I had clicked on the "View discussion in a popup" which I do sometimes. My computer was still open to that page even after the "supposedly offensive posts" were removed from the thread. I did a copy and paste of all those posts into a document so that's how I've been able to read them all again several times.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique Obviously, it left a bad taste in my mouth too and my perception is that it wasn't well handled. I'm glad you were able to reread the posts, I wish I'd been able to do so because while I don't think any of us were out to offend anybody, I honestly don't think there was anything said that should have. No poster making a generic statement can control whether another poster chooses to personalize comments and I guess it's my opinion that those being charged with forum management should be able to make the distinction between when something is a clearly personal criticism and when it isn't... If it isn't, then regardless of whether it might not sit well with some people, it needs to stand because it isn't a violation of the guidelines. It concerns me because I've long enjoyed posting on these boards, and think it's slippery slope to try to ensure there are no negative personal reactions to reasonable posts... There is clearly a difference between calling out or directly criticizing another poster and merely making a statement directed at no one that someone then finds not to their liking...