Honored Contributor

This is Us Spoilers - Ahead of Season 6, the Final Season

I thought we'd start a thread where those of us who are fans of this show can post spoilers and speculate about Season 6.

Season 6 won't begin until January 2022. But NBC has promised it will air "largely uninterrupted," unlike Season 5 which was affected by the pandemic.

I read one quote from creator Dan Fogelman. He said one of the episodes filmed brought him to tears when he read it, and he said he very seldom cries.

The last show of Season 5 teased a lot, with Kate's wedding to Phillip, the music teacher she works with. We also saw Kevin and Madison together, after we had already seen Madison leave Kevin at the altar earlier in the episode!

Alexandra Breckinridge, who plays Sophie, has given a few hints. Kevin chose not to call her back when she called him from a new number. There is a reason we didn't see her ring finger. And she said they have already filmed her in old age makeup! 

One interview asked the cast to say one word or one sentence about their characters in Season 6:

Justin Hartley (Kevin):  Reconnections 

Chris Sullivan (Toby):  Transformational 

Mandy Moore (Rebecca):  Grace for herself and her loved ones, perspective on her life and her legacy, and being as present as possible 

Sterling K. Brown (Randall):  Closure 

Chrissy Metz (Kate):  Confidence and true happiness 

Susan Kelechi Watson (Beth):  I'm not dead. I'm here with you. I'll always be with you.

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us Spoilers - Ahead of Season 6, the Final Season

[ Edited ]

Going out on a limb here, but perhaps Toby begins transforming into a woman.  Chris Sullivan, who plays Toby, did say "transformational" in the comments from the actors that you posted.  Maybe living his life as a man but believing he is a woman is the source of his depression.

Maybe Kate truly does marry for a second time.

I'm in a rare mood tonight...

[I just remembered something.  Didn't Toby appear in that preview of Rebecca's death- bed scene?  He was the regular Tobes.  Well, scratch my wild card theory about him.]

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   Thank you!

I am not comfortable with what Beth said-will her death be the one out of all the remaining characters???

I'm not quite feeling the marriage of Kate to Philip- I think it takes away from her finally achieving being herself.   Are we positive that wedding scene is her marriage to him?

I'm surprised there was no comment from Milo Ventimiglia (Jack) considering he and Rebecca are the centering characters in this story.

I never really cared for adult Sophie-and why would she want to contact Kevin after all this time, regardless of once being married to him so young.

This will be a good thread to go back and remember hints and thoughts about the future.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I always look forward to this show--even enjoy reruns to clarify . All involved love  to put out hints to throw the audience off IMO. 

Only negative thing for me is I will never see Phylicia Rashad in the same light after her Bill Cosby comment. She is a good actress though so... 

As far as Dan Fogelman 's tears  , perhaps he is thinking how much more $$s he could generate if he kept it on and on . Smiley Happy I think it is a good idea for a show (even a winner) to leave the stage instead of being drug off. 

Honored Contributor

I think Dan Fogelman's remark is bait-keeping people talking about what will be so sad.

Then again, it could be about an uplifted ending to the series. 

Beth's comment still concerns me, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have a feeling we will see the death of Rebecca. Maybe we will see Jack waiting to take Rebecca on her final journey. Didn't we see way way back a future where Toby took to his bed, off his meds ( is he bipolar)? Maybe his career is on a downward spiral and Kate's is on an upswing which causes a rift between them?