Honored Contributor

Re: This is Us - I think I am done with this show

[ Edited ]

Thank goodness we all have the ability to choose for ourselves... This show has proven to be fodder for much discussion and can, at times, be polarizing... People have chosen to discuss it and have opinions, both pro and con, as there always are going to be... There are those who have said that any negativity about the show has diminished their discussion of the show on some of these threads, and, said without rancor, maybe that's indicative of a mindset that would 'bond' so much with a show of this ilk... It isn't realistic to think everyone is going to enjoy, much less love, any given show or that there isn't going to be both favorable and unfavorable discussion...

For me, the show wore out its welcome early on... I respect the right of those who measure the show's likability by how many Kleenex they go through while watching, but don't particularly understand it, Likewise, I don't really 'get' why anyone, as some say they do, would watch each episode multiple times to make sure they glean every nuance... Some have said they feel like they 'know' these characters, but my thought is 'why would I want to'... I simply don't like most of them and their 'problems' stretch the bounds of empathy much of the time... Most importantly, when all is said and done, this is a television show with manufactured characters... These aren't real people and that's a point it sometimes seems some folks should bear in mind... 

For those who have opted to walk away, well, welcome to the club...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimalswrote:

I just watched the last episode of the season (where Kate gets married).  I think I am done with this show.  Finally, Kate moved on re: her dad which was a good thing but I cannot stand the storyline with DeJa.  OMG, what a depressing and morbid storyline.  They should have moved on already.  I know she has issues but to act the way she does to Randall and Beth, who have shown her nothing but kindness and have taken her into her home, to smash the car the way she did - I am done!  I have no compassion for her character, maybe it is the actress, I just cant feel anything for her, If anything, she should be resentful towards her mother.  Too dark, too depressing, it is just constant.  They are not kids and a lot of their issues should be handled by now.  

@lovesallanimals

So ....  stop watching.   

Many shows I've watched have rather normal, well-adjusted children with minimal problems.  Deja has serious problems .... but at last she didn't go shooting at a school!

Many TV shows out there either run out of good character development storylines or viewers drop off for any number of possible reasons  ....  no one expects you to watch every week until it goes off the air.   Move on to something else.

Super Contributor

if the characters didnt do the things people are complaining about it wouldnt be a show and nothing would be happening in the show! like if Deja just was a sweet nice girl then it wouldnt show any story line along with her just being dumped by her mother and thrown into a new home and new life. of course she has to act out....its a show about LIFE!

life is not a bowl of cherries! these are real life situations and they have to make them intersting and shocking or there wouldnt be a show at all and noone would tune in.

i love it and cant wait to see what happpens! i think its genius how they go from past to present and now even the future! GENIUS!!!   cant wait for the story lines to resume!

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@lovesallanimalswrote:

I just watched the last episode of the season (where Kate gets married).  I think I am done with this show.  Finally, Kate moved on re: her dad which was a good thing but I cannot stand the storyline with DeJa.  OMG, what a depressing and morbid storyline.  They should have moved on already.  I know she has issues but to act the way she does to Randall and Beth, who have shown her nothing but kindness and have taken her into her home, to smash the car the way she did - I am done!  I have no compassion for her character, maybe it is the actress, I just cant feel anything for her, If anything, she should be resentful towards her mother.  Too dark, too depressing, it is just constant.  They are not kids and a lot of their issues should be handled by now.  

@lovesallanimals

So ....  stop watching.   

Many shows I've watched have rather normal, well-adjusted children with minimal problems.  Deja has serious problems .... but at last she didn't go shooting at a school!

Many TV shows out there either run out of good character development storylines or viewers drop off for any number of possible reasons  ....  no one expects you to watch every week until it goes off the air.   Move on to something else.

@Tinkrbl44 Ah - Thank you, I can always count on your endless snarky, sarcastic comments.  It was only an opinion!  For crying out loud, are you like this all the time?  Don't bother responding, I am really through.  Life is too short for this.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimalswrote:

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@lovesallanimalswrote:

@lovesallanimals

So ....  stop watching.   

@Tinkrbl44 Ah - Thank you, I can always count on your endless snarky, sarcastic comments.  It was only an opinion!  For crying out loud, are you like this all the time?  Don't bother responding, I am really through.  Life is too short for this.

@lovesallanimals

Well, this is a head scratcher .....    You start a thread complaining that this show has such a "depressing and morbid storyline".    You've "no compassion for that character".  "Too dark, too depressing; it is just constant"  ...  etc etc etc.   

A lot of people really like this show and, while I doubt all of them like every character, the show covers a lot of ground.   Did you really expect everyone to agree with you?

After your complaining I reply .....   So .. stop watching ..... and that sets you off?   Really?

You can post anything within the guidelines, but when you post your negative comments, don't be suprised when you get a wide variety of replies.  You were the one who started this thread, remember?

Honored Contributor

@nougatwrote:

if the characters didnt do the things people are complaining about it wouldnt be a show and nothing would be happening in the show! like if Deja just was a sweet nice girl then it wouldnt show any story line along with her just being dumped by her mother and thrown into a new home and new life. of course she has to act out....its a show about LIFE!

life is not a bowl of cherries! these are real life situations and they have to make them intersting and shocking or there wouldnt be a show at all and noone would tune in.

i love it and cant wait to see what happpens! i think its genius how they go from past to present and now even the future! GENIUS!!!   cant wait for the story lines to resume!

@nougat

Starting Deja where they did gives them a lot of room for further character development in the future, if they keep the character on.

One of the most interesting parts of the Kate's wedding episode was how Jack looked when they aged him ....  they did a nice job with the makeup.  At this point, I think Randall and Beth are by far the most interesting couple.

Valued Contributor

Too much switching back and forth, slow moving, hard to figure out what's real and what's not, hard to follow...just my opinion!!  Why do I keep watching???  I guess because I like the Mother....

Respected Contributor

@highmaintenancejanwrote:

Too much switching back and forth, slow moving, hard to figure out what's real and what's not, hard to follow...just my opinion!!  Why do I keep watching???  I guess because I like the Mother....

Rebecca is her youth was vibrant and energetic. The older version is sullen and lifeless. I don't know if that's due to age or her life without Jack. Miguel is not right for her and I wish she would dump him. All Miguel does is quietly mope around. He is not a life force like Jack. 

The only character I like is Beth. But I worry she may be killed off. The glimpses of Randall as an older man scare me. He looks worn out and haggard. Perhaps something terrible will happen to Beth and Randall is left alone ??

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@lovesallanimalswrote:

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@lovesallanimalswrote:

@lovesallanimals

So ....  stop watching.   

@lovesallanimals

Well, this is a head scratcher .....    You start a thread complaining that this show has such a "depressing and morbid storyline".    You've "no compassion for that character".  "Too dark, too depressing; it is just constant"  ...  etc etc etc.   

A lot of people really like this show and, while I doubt all of them like every character, the show covers a lot of ground.   Did you really expect everyone to agree with you?

After your complaining I reply .....   So .. stop watching ..... and that sets you off?   Really?

You can post anything within the guidelines, but when you post your negative comments, don't be suprised when you get a wide variety of replies.  You were the one who started this thread, remember?

@Tinkrbl44  It's how you reply at times.  You may not realize how it comes across, though.  I many times agree with your comments, but many times think you can express the same thought a little more diplomatically.  JMHO, and not trying to "scold" or argue.  

And it's JMO, but I didn't think the OP's original post was "complaining." She gave her opinion.  I may not agree with her opinion, but I think it's okay for her to express it.  Smiley Happy

(edited to correct typo.)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

A lot of times people start similar threads without searching to see if another thread on the same subject already exists.  It's sometimes frustrating, but it's usually not done intentionally.  

An ongoing thread doesn't necessarily mean an OP is continuing to watch a series, after saying she/he has given up on it. They could also still have a few opinions or thoughts after they've stopped watching, couldn't they?  Or maybe I'm missing that it's more about how there are some posters who had previously posted they've given up and continue to watch?  There is one thread I post on which has negative posts about the show week after week from the same people, and that is something I don't understand.  They have not mentioned they've given up on a show, but I don't undertand why they haven't, since every post from them is negative about the show.  Smiley Indifferent 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥