Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

This week's episode was the best in quite some time, for sure. 

I so want to see them explore Jack and Nicky's childhood. Specifically, how and why their dad changed. At the birth of Nicky, he was a good dad. Sitting in the hospital with Jack and his own dad (who appeared to be a jerk and a drunk) he seemed so kind and good, nothing like we see him behaving as the boys grow. 

I really want to know what sent him down the road to being so bitter and mean. 

I'd like to see more about rebecca's childhood as well. 

@Mominohio I think it's just life that causes you to change. You're growing older, you may feel stuck in a job you hate because you have a family to support. As a couple you may just grow apart, the children many times come first. You realize your life didn't turn out like you thought it would, some people turn to alcohol to numb the pain and to forget.

@Jordan2  @Mominohio   Alcoholism is a progressive disease as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Can't wait for the next episode!

Personally, I like that the show is exploring topics that are central to our nation at the moment.  (Has the topic of equality for all ever really left the scene, though?)

As we tussle with the relations between different races and ethnic groups at this time in our nation, I am hoping that Randall and Kevin iron the crinkles out of their relationship and usher in a new era of understanding between them.

My hope springs eternal.  With a greater understanding of what each has experienced, there is a possibility for going forward in a successful manner.

@golding76 To quote Maya Angelou --"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."

Honored Contributor

I thought last night's episode was excellent, we got a chance to dive more deeply into Kevin and Randall's relationship. I think all children can perceive either right or wrong that one sibling is favored over another. I don't think Randall being African American was the reason for Jack to seem to give extra attention to Randall. I think it was more about Randall being adopted, coming into a family that had children born to Jack and Rebecca, Randall probably felt left out, Randall also had anxiety attacks to deal with. Randall had to adjust the most, he needed more of a helping hand than Kevin. It seems Randall and Kevin are in a better place now then before. Mandy Moore being on maternity leave has given Jack more of a storyline which I'm happy about because there are times Jack is non-existent.

Honored Contributor

excellent episode last night. i like when they focus on one or two of the family and give them the entire episode. randalls "pretend family" or "fantasy family" was an interesting plot device. i wonder just how common that is?

cannot believe we have to wait a MONTH to see the final three episodes. these breaks are killing me, although i suppose they cannot be helped due to filming constraints.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: This Is Us Season Five

[ Edited ]

I agree, last night's episode was incredibly touching and heartfelt. Heart Brandon Victor Dixon (Randalls 'fantasy' Dad) is one of my favorite Broadway actors!

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I am the odd man out here.  I completely agreed with Kevin on this one and I don't even like his character!  Randall needs to move on.  Once you become an adult, you need to release what is holding you down or it will follow you forever.  It isn't as if he had an abusive childhood.  Imagine if he would have been raised by the two users that were his biological parents.  Jack and Rebecca were great parents - just like Kevin told the neighbor with the key. 

I realize this is a TV show and the characters all seem to be disfunctional in some way, shape, or form. Beth is a mirror shadow of the strong woman she used to be. 

I know, I don't have to watch.  I have watched from the beginning, and I will see it through to the finale.......I hope it really is going to be the finale! 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs I think we do need to let go of things that happened to us in the past, but I know from experience it isn't easy. As for Randall, Jack and Rebecca were good parents and gave Randall a good life. I do think though he needed to know more of his culture and needed to engage with African American people, I think Jack and Rebecca  failed Randall on that front. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@tends2dogs I think we do need to let go of things that happened to us in the past, but I know from experience it isn't easy. As for Randall, Jack and Rebecca were good parents and gave Randall a good life. I do think though he needed to know more of his culture and needed to engage with African American people, I think Jack and Rebecca  failed Randall on that front. 

Remember in the first season they flashed back to Randall befriending another African Amer boy in the neighborhood and his Mom was advising Rebecca on raising him. She was played by SKB's real life wife. But then didnt Randall get sent to a gifted kids school?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2   I think that Randall was raised with love. Jack and Rebecca did the best that they knew how......like most of us.  I guess it wouldn't be a good storyline if Randall didn't have issues.....especially in light of what is going on today.  Kate and Kevin have issues.  I don't think that their parents failed them either. JMHO not trying to be argumentative. Woman Happy

@Shelbelle  I don't remember that episode, but I am not that invested in the back episodes.....not to say that it didn't happen.  As parents, they seemed to promote the threes strong attributes and gifts.  Again, that is what most good parents do.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Remember in the first season they flashed back to Randall befriending another African Amer boy in the neighborhood and his Mom was advising Rebecca on raising him. She was played by SKB's real life wife. But then didnt Randall get sent to a gifted kids school?

@Shelbelle I remember an African American family at a pool, Rebecca seemed like she was getting advice from the mother. I also kind of remember maybe Jack took Randall to a museum to see an exhibit.