Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have not watched much of 'This is Us'...so I don't quite understand the story line....are some of the scenes flashbacks to their childhood?...If anyone can give me the short version of the premise of the show, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Yes, they are flashbacks.  There are 3 siblings who are now 38 years old (two surviving triplets and an adopted child born on the same day).  The father, Jack, died when the kids were 17.  So they show how everyone got to this point in their lives through a lot of family flashbacks.  

I probably made you more confused. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy....yes, now more confused, ha, ha!

So the woman going thru IVF treatments is a sister to the guy that is the actor and  the other sibiling is who?   How does the mother that lost her husband fit into the picture...as well as the African American father.....if ya don't mind explaining.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@VanSleepy....yes, now more confused, ha, ha!

So the woman going thru IVF treatments is a sister to the guy that is the actor and  the other sibiling is who?   How does the mother that lost her husband fit into the picture...as well as the African American father.....if ya don't mind explaining.

@Mom2Dogs, Kate (the heavy set woman) and Kevin (the actor) are biological triplets, the other sibling died at birth. Randall (the African American guy) was left at a firehouse as a newborn, a fireman brought him to the hospital, Jack and Rebecca (the parents) decided to adopt Randall, they became The Big Three.  Rebecca is the mother. the show goes back and forth to different time periods, when the children were young, teenagers, and adults. Randall looked for and found his biological father (William) whom he was able to have a relationship, although briefly as William was terminally ill. Beth (Randall's wife) and Randall took in a foster child Deja. Deja's mom was in and out of trouble, has been in prison. Deja's mom tried to make it work with Deja when she was released from prison, ultimately Deja's mom gave up her parental rights and Randall and Beth (the Pearsons) adopted her.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2...I was just going to post that I think I get it...but your explanation sealed it for me, and makes sense.... thanks.  I do enjoy it when I remember to watch...again thanks!

Honored Contributor

I could not understand what the Nigerian woman told Wm. as to what happened to her husband, the sound was not clear, please inform me , thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I could not understand what the Nigerian woman told Wm. as to what happened to her husband, the sound was not clear, please inform me , thanks so much.

@Shelbelle  I didn't understand her either, and I also didn't understand why she was at the meeting.  Had she had an addiction problem?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  I didn't understand her either, and I also didn't understand why she was at the meeting.  Had she had an addiction problem?

@NickNack, William knew she was alone and befriended her. He told her about the gathering to honor his five years (?) of sobriety. He invited her to come as she could meet some people perhaps make some friends. She originally told William she wouldn't go, but I guess she changed her mind.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   she said her husband passed. She didn't elaborate on how.

@NickNack   she attended the meeting because William invited her. He told her his friends were celebrating his being being sober five years.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Thank you for explaining @Jordan2 and @Tique.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs sorry I didn't see your post before.  @Jordan2 did a great synopsis!

I don't know why Toby threw away his medication.  If they are doing IVF, does it matter how "fast" he is anyway?  Unless he's hoping to get it done the old-fashioned way before they get too far in the process.