Honored Contributor

Re: This Is Us Final Season 6

[ Edited ]

I'm watching the show, while Jack was a perfect husband and father, he wasn't such a great son. His Sunday 6:00 calls with his mom (she must have looked forward to all week) seemed like a chore to him, he couldn't wait to get off the phone. It takes so little on the part of a child to make their parent happy. Jack seems to feel a lot of guilt about his mother, as he should. I made it until the last ten minutes without crying. Jack paid homage to his mother, too bad he didn't do it while she was alive. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not that I do not believe mothers should be honored in their lifetime and that it is good to remind people to pay attention to their mothers, but for a moment or two, I wondered why the storyline went the way it did tonight when the final moment of grand drama for this show is the death of a mother who has received much attention and love.  Jack's mother was, for the most part, left to lead her life without her family after she escaped from her abusive husband (Jack's dad).  On the other hand, there is Jack's wife, the mother of his children.  She is in the enviable position of having children who compete to have her in their life. 

Were there no other directions for exploring the family Pearson? I wondered.  Although I loved the message, something gnawed at me that this was a waste of available episodes.  I'm the first to concede that COVID-19 and all the workarounds the world has done to keep things moving has sapped creativity to some degree, so I am not comfortable that my criticism is fair.  In fact, it isn't. 

A thought that followed all this is that the head writer or creator of this show must have adored his mother.  I write this because we have two mothers who die (one in the finale), and each one is beloved.  That's all I've got.  

ETA:  I have another thought, however.  We did need to know a bit more about Jack's relationship with his mother.  His father was frozen in the mold of an abuser, so we had him covered.  The mother, though, we did not know too much about.  What would have been better, IMHO, is if they had woven another storyline in with this one.  Yes, that is what it needed -- it did not need to focus solely on Jack's not making room in his life for his lovely mother, which he deeply regretted upon her death.

Honored Contributor

Last night I realized something.  I understood that Jack, as a character who died early on in the show's history, does not have a bounty of opportunities to appear in post-death episodes.  Therefore, there had to be a Jack-centric episode to give Milo Ventimiglia (who plays Jack) an opportunity to showcase his acting chops.   It makes sense to me.

Last night's episode probably had more to do with that mission than filling out relationship understandings.

Honored Contributor

Okay, so I'm thinking about the promo for tonight's episode. If I remember correctly Deja and Malik are sitting at the dinner table, Randall or Beth says something to the effect about them not seeing each other. Deja says that's going to be a problem, what does she mean? Is it possible Malik and Deja eloped, can a minor get married at 17 or so in some states? Has she decided to go to college where Malik goes ( Yale or Harvard)? I guess we will find out tonight. 

Super Contributor

@Jordan2  I've been wondering the same things.  I wonder if Deja is pregnant.  I guess we will find out tonight.   

Honored Contributor

I nearly made it to the end without crying, but they got me again!

Honored Contributor

the two best episodes so far for me this season were the episode that focused on nicky and the episode focused on jacks relationship (and subsequent non relationship) with his mother.

i like seeing that jack has "messed up" some of the relationships in his life and that it he was never perfect......and sometimes horrible. he could barely talk to his mom on the phone and he could not even take the time or energy to go to see her and to make sure she had a relationship with his children and her daughter in law.

i am glad she found happiness in her life and surrounded herself with friends, family, and a lover that gave her the joy that jack did not......or could not for whatever reason.....and jack SHOULD have felt guilty......and probably so should rebecca to a certain extent.

on another note, still not convinced that madison and kevin belong together in a married way, although i know they will forever be linked through their children.

mailk and deja are making a big mistake......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm glad The Olympics are over and This Is Us is returning tonight. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I wish This Is Us were like a book, I could go to the last page to find out how it all ended. 

Honored Contributor

Returns on Mar 8