Trusted Contributor

Re: This Is Us Final Season 6

@Jordan2 wrote:

So, we got to see grownup Jack last night ( was that his sister Haley with him)? Jack was using the smoker which must have been handed down to him. Now maybe I didn't quite get something or they were being cryptic, was there an accident involving the smoker and Jack that caused the scar he had on his forehead ( it seemed to be a trauma in his life)? Did it involve Toby not keeping an eye on Jack while using the Smoker? Toby and Kate's marriage is unraveling before our eyes, the long distance isn't working for them. 

I think you are right about the accident.  I guess in the past I never got that Jack lost his vision because of an accident.  That would make sense as to why Kate and Toby broke up. 

Trusted Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

So, we got to see grownup Jack last night ( was that his sister Haley with him)? Jack was using the smoker which must have been handed down to him. Now maybe I didn't quite get something or they were being cryptic, was there an accident involving the smoker and Jack that caused the scar he had on his forehead ( it seemed to be a trauma in his life)? Did it involve Toby not keeping an eye on Jack while using the Smoker? Toby and Kate's marriage is unraveling before our eyes, the long distance isn't working for them. 

I think you are right about the accident.  I guess in the past I never got that Jack lost his vision because of an accident.  That would make sense as to why Kate and Toby broke up. 

I may be wrong but I thought Jack was born blind.  That is why Kate started working at the school for the blind.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

Respected Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

@TurnerGal wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I may be wrong but I thought Jack was born blind.  That is why Kate started working at the school for the blind.  Correct me if I am wrong.  

I think you are right. Jack was born blind as you can see with Kate and Toby’s interaction with him. I think maybe an accident happened after Toby got the smoker that they talked about and that caused more resentment between them. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2  I really don't think that was Hayley with Jack.  We've seen Jack with a wife and baby so I figured that was her, but I don't really remember what the actress looked like.  Plus one of them fed the other a piece of food, and she said "your" parents.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Jack was born blind, I didn't mean a smoker accident blinded him. Something else must have happened that gave Jack that scar, I still think it was something that happened on Toby's watch. 

Honored Contributor

So I read this on the Vulture recap. The woman is Lucy Jack's wife. "His very first memory has to do with some sort of accident with the smoker that leaves him with a scar on his head and a very specific aversion in which smoked meats remind him of divorce. "It's the literal symbol of the day your parent's marriage blew up", Lucy says". If it's his first memory he had to be pretty young like around four or so. 

Respected Contributor

When Jack  was reliving it in his mind, the voice yelling, "Jack!" sounded like Rebecca.  It made me think it's going to be a flashback in a flashback - little Jack at whatever the smoker accident was, triggering Kate to relive her mother and father at the house fire. 

Trusted Contributor

To be honest, this last episode about  the dads didn't really grab me.  All of them- Jack, Kevin and Randall dealing with how to be a good father,   I found it a bit monotonous, even Toby's make believe game about the triangle being stronger than a square.

Maybe it was because the show the week before about Sally was so dramatic.

Honored Contributor

Tonight's episode deals with the passing of Jack's mother. I wonder if Rebecca and The Big Three had any relationship with their mother-in-law and grandmother respectively? I have to believe this will be a sad episode ( I'll the tissues nearby). 

Honored Contributor

My guess is that the kids and Rebecca really didnt know Jacks mother.