Honored Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

Sorry, I could not find the current thread.  Who is the new girl on the show?  I missed the show last week and I could gather from this week's episode that she and Randall are somehow connected.  She mentioned her mom but I could not tell if her mother is alive. 

Deja is foster teen that Randall and Beth have taken into their home. No Dad and her Mom is a drug addict.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: This Is Us Fans

[ Edited ]

@TaylorBrown the new girl living with Randall and his family is a child they are fostering.  

edited to add:  Sorry, didn't see the first response to this question!!  My apologies ladies.

Respected Contributor

Why did the foster girl living with Sterling K. Brown and his wife on This is Us cut off her braids.

Honored Contributor

I think it was to show the family and especially his wife she was angry that his wife had discussed something she and the wife had talked about and the wife had said it was just between the girl and the wife.

It was a physical way of saying, "You did this and I'm getting rid of what you did".  It's an immature way of dealing with anger.  But this girl has never been parented and doesn't know how to talk about her feeling.  She only knows how to physically show her anger.

That's my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

As former foster parent, I experienced constant proving of parental devotion to the child who lived with us for 5 years. Finally we said -- you'll give up on us before we give up on you. He was able to relax a bit. He watched every facial expression, listened to word inflections.... always on guard for rejection. Abandonment issues. Fear stems from childhood losses and inadequate physical/emotional care. Convinced everyone will ultimately abandon them.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake Thank you for your input from someone who is really selfless.  

We'd all like to be a giver, but few of us really achieve something like you've done.  I so admire people like you who give time, affection and everything necessary to raising a loving and productive member of society.

Some people think having a baby stops with 'popping them out' and have the attitude 'sink or swim' kid.  The truth is everyone pays for this archaic, ignorant attitude on the part of (I use the term loosely in this case....'parent').   

It takes constant time, patience (I see them as different things), money and bla bla (most of you know) to raise a good member of society.  Being a good parent is a give, give (and when you think you can't give anymore...give more) job.  The rewards are beyond wonderful, but it does take work.

Then if you are lucky you are able to sit back and watch your own children raise their children.   We all need to do our best because as we parents know, 'there are no do over's when it comes to raising a child'.

Again, @jeanlake I admire and respect people like you who give so much of yourselves to help others.  Be safe!

Honored Contributor

Well, I liked Jesse in Gilmore Girls and in the end he had turned his life around.

The show needed something besides all the sugary storylines and Jesse provided very well. 

I think Milo is very good looking and fits the part in This is Us very well.

I just wish Randal's real father could be around for Deja-I think he would have been a good influence for her.

And those 2 little girls-you could just squeeze them up!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  You are kind. Thank you. Foster parent was a difficult task for me. I have to give my husband credit for giving up so much of his time and emotional energy to go to high school, fight for this minority kid in our predominently white neighborhood. Husband went to principal and got guardian ad lidum (attorney for foster children) involved when racist remarks took place from shop teacher. I know. 6'6" neighbor wanted our lake community to stay white and my 5'10" husband got in his face. Several times husband drove around our city after midnight looking for our foster son when he ran away after being grounded. Consequences were tough for him. That was ONLY thirteen years ago. We promised our foster son we'd help him graduate and find his birth dad -- and we wouldn't give up on him. Mission accomplished. My 30 year old daughter wants to be a foster mom and I told her - honey, think hard about it. You were there. You saw what went on in our home. But credit goes to my husband and my son - who befriended this kid from a group home while both in middle school. The group home closed and my son asked us to bring him into our home. I had a smaller role, but it was still challenging, because he was broken from childhood. Shot in the hand delivering drugs for his mom at age 10. That's when he entered the foster system. Sorry to ramble. Don't mean to hijack the post. Thank you again for your generous words.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@culebra wrote:

Why did the foster girl living with Sterling K. Brown and his wife on This is Us cut off her braids.

@culebra  Deja was upset to learn that Beth had shared with Randall that Deja had lost patches of her hair (possibly alopecia) from stress, so she cut off the braids for "shock value" to show everyone she was in control.  Remember when Randall was talking to Deja bout how running helped him de-stress, and mentioned Deja could run with him?  Deja replied, "She told you?!"  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@jeanlake Thank you for sharing with us.  I've said this here before (and I often say it otherwise) as my grandma used to say, "One half doesn't know how the other half lives".  

People (myself included) talk the the talk but (even though we mean well) we don't always walk the walk.

@jeanlake You really did 'walk the walk'.  Wish there were more of you.  Take care.  Fondly, Annabelle/Linda