Honored Contributor

Thirtysomething(else) - Sequel to Thirtysomething coming this fall

For fans of the original Thirtysomething, we were talking about this in the thread started by @gramgrandkids1 "Would you like to see it again."

My original post there was this:

Thirtysomething was one of my favorites too! They are doing a sequel, Thirtysomething(else), that will be featuring Janey and the other children who are now "thirty something" themselves! Most of the original stars are returning -  The characters of Michael, Hope, Elliott, and Nancy are all returning with the original actors. No word on Ellyn (Polly Draper) or Melissa (Melanie Mayron) yet!

Ken Olin (Michael) is one of the executive producers of This is Us, and he also worked on Brothers and Sisters.  Smiley Happy

Just read this today:

"ABC’s  “Thirtysomething” sequel series, “Thirtysomething(else),” has added two more original cast members.

Melanie Mayron and Polly Draper will return to star in the pilot, reprising their roles as Melissa Steadman and Ellyn Warren, and will have recurring arcs should the project go to series.

They join other original cast-members Ken Olin, Mel Harris, Timothy Busfield and Patricia Wettig. New cast includes Auden Thornton and Chris Wood."

“Apparently, raising children (even grown children) never ends, but who could have known how hard it would be for them to raise their parents?” reads the sequel’s description from ABC."

** Auden Thornton plays "Lucy," adult Jack's wife on This is Us. She will be playing Brittany, Nancy and Elliot's daughter on Thirtysomething(else)

CAN'T WAIT! I have no doubt this pilot will get picked up! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Thirtysomething(else) - Sequel to Thirtysomething coming this fall

Hope this gets picked up by a major network. I don't do streaming services and would hate to miss it. I was a big 30 Something fan back in the day. I'm wondering if this could be as good. 

Honored Contributor

I was also a big fan back in the day. the new show A Million Little Things reminds me of the old show, but this is more 40 Something.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   Thanks for the update! 

I was a big Thirtysomething fan and look forward to the new show....wonder when we can expect to see it?

Honored Contributor

It will be interesting to see if couples Michael and Hope and Nancy and Elliott are stil together, both had often volatile marriages. And how is Nancy's health? Wonder if Elliott and Michael are retired from the their ad biz? And did Melissa ever find her Mr Right, and I do thinkk Ellyn was engaged when the show ended. And as for Gary, we all know what happened to him, but he had a snooty wife at the time. 

Honored Contributor

I never missed an episode.....loved that show!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom  I am a big fan of the original show.  I just hope the new show does not disappoint.  Some times these remakes of hit shows just miss the mark. But I will look forward to it and  how  the characters have changed! 

Honored Contributor

I loved that show, looking forward to this sequel 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

I loved that show too, but, the redo never is any good. Maybe its time to let hollywood put these shows to rest. Hollywood has no imagination anymore.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@beach-mom   Thanks for the update! 

I was a big Thirtysomething fan and look forward to the new show....wonder when we can expect to see it?

@haddon9 - If the pilot gets picked up it should be in time for the fall season this year. I can't imagine it won't. The original creators, Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick and their Bedford Falls Company, are doing it. ABC studios is producing, so there is no worry about an independent company owned show trying to make a go of it! The original show won several Emmy awards. Herskovitz and Zwick have done a number of TV series - Brothers and Sisters and Once and Again, to name a few - as well as some successful movies, like Glory. Legends of the Fall, and Blood Diamond. Smiley Happy