Respected Contributor

Re: There is only one ""Odd Couple"" Randall and Klugman

On 2/28/2015 LoriLori said:
On 2/27/2015 Danky said: JAVA--- you have come a long way in a short time. I continue to admire your passion and your commitment to finding your truth. ETA----- I cannot comment on The Odd Couple. I watch virtually no television (2 or 3 shows ) and haven't even heard of most of what is discussed here.

Danks, with all due respect and affection, please may I ask you to look at it from another side. As you only watch two or three shows (how lucky we are one is BB) maybe you don't have much experience with forums either?

I think you see this as about censorship, and I see it differently and so do some others. What Java is doing is called "hijacking the thread." That is the actual term for it.

People click on this topic to talk about The Odd Couple, and suddenly they are thrust into a religious treatise. That is, in fact, against QVC's Terms of Service (TOS).

But more importantly it's a violation of people's posting. Java, I hope you too understand what I sam saying. I mean you no harm whatsoever. People come to talk about a tv show and then find posts about religion and then it always turns into an argument of the people who actually want to discuss what's in the thread vs. Java. And now you, Danky.

I am excepting the thread that bears your name. That is an off topic thread and though I've said in the past I don't like discussing politics and religion that is really a consensus question so I've realized if people there want to talk about it I have no right to try and stop it.

But this is an Odd Couple thread. And what people are trying to tell you, Danks, and also Java, is why can't we ever have a thread that is free of the constant proseltyzing.

Tinkr has given us the solution: Java, start an O/T thread here on religion. I agree with that. No more hijacking. It's not right, whether it's about religion or anything else.

Lori

You pointed out something that at the time I missed because my focus was elsewhere, I apologized to all, may I say it really bothers me that my feeling about this for some thought the bottom line was to preach as I think back I can see where there were spots that spill over board, again for that I apologize, when I process information, my filterers are different than most others here, so these things I see them differently. Trying to explain my process. I really feel like a stranger in the land I grew up in...

It did not occur to me that even though I was frustrated because entertainment can not be potty free, and leans the other way and offends many others to have to get a dose of stuff when watching TV.

As I tried to point out in the past, programs for the most part were neutral.. I will strive to not let my discontent show from a personal point of view...

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I just loved the Odd Couple TV show with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman. They were both SO perfectly cast. I loved Jack Klugman as Quincy later on too.

The movie with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau was pretty great also. I never saw the original play it was based on, but I am sure it was great. Anything by Neil Simon usually is.

I just saw The Goodbye Girl on TMC the other night. Great movie with Marsha Mason (then Mrs. Neil Simon) and Richard Dreyfuss in his Oscar winning turn as Elliot.

Another great Marsha Mason/Neil Simon movie is Max Dugan Returns with Jason Robards, Donald Sutherland and Matthew Broderick. It was not a big box office hit but I just loved it. So cute.

Honored Contributor

Ironside ?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

There is an entire generation who has never seen the original Odd Couple and is not comparing this show to the earlier version.

Honored Contributor

On 2/28/2015 javala said:
On 2/28/2015 LoriLori said:
On 2/27/2015 Danky said: JAVA--- you have come a long way in a short time. I continue to admire your passion and your commitment to finding your truth. ETA----- I cannot comment on The Odd Couple. I watch virtually no television (2 or 3 shows ) and haven't even heard of most of what is discussed here.

Danks, with all due respect and affection, please may I ask you to look at it from another side. As you only watch two or three shows (how lucky we are one is BB) maybe you don't have much experience with forums either?

I think you see this as about censorship, and I see it differently and so do some others. What Java is doing is called "hijacking the thread." That is the actual term for it.

People click on this topic to talk about The Odd Couple, and suddenly they are thrust into a religious treatise. That is, in fact, against QVC's Terms of Service (TOS).

But more importantly it's a violation of people's posting. Java, I hope you too understand what I sam saying. I mean you no harm whatsoever. People come to talk about a tv show and then find posts about religion and then it always turns into an argument of the people who actually want to discuss what's in the thread vs. Java. And now you, Danky.

I am excepting the thread that bears your name. That is an off topic thread and though I've said in the past I don't like discussing politics and religion that is really a consensus question so I've realized if people there want to talk about it I have no right to try and stop it.

But this is an Odd Couple thread. And what people are trying to tell you, Danks, and also Java, is why can't we ever have a thread that is free of the constant proseltyzing.

Tinkr has given us the solution: Java, start an O/T thread here on religion. I agree with that. No more hijacking. It's not right, whether it's about religion or anything else.

Lori

You pointed out something that at the time I missed because my focus was elsewhere, I apologized to all, may I say it really bothers me that my feeling about this for some thought the bottom line was to preach as I think back I can see where there were spots that spill over board, again for that I apologize, when I process information, my filterers are different than most others here, so these things I see them differently. Trying to explain my process. I really feel like a stranger in the land I grew up in...

It did not occur to me that even though I was frustrated because entertainment can not be potty free, and leans the other way and offends many others to have to get a dose of stuff when watching TV.

As I tried to point out in the past, programs for the most part were neutral.. I will strive to not let my discontent show from a personal point of view...

Potty free ? ..... I don't even remember the last time I saw "toilet humor" on any show .... just what are you watching ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 colliegirls said:

There is an entire generation who has never seen the original Odd Couple and is not comparing this show to the earlier version.

That is true, of course. To a lot of people, this is a brand new show.

Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Potty free ? ..... I don't even <em>remember</em> the last time I saw "toilet humor" on any show .... just what are you watching ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

All I can say if you did not hear it or it didn't registered... sometimes one hears things so often it becomes common, like water of the duck back...

Years ago that story would not have been appropriate in that setting...

What Oscar said I can't post the "P" word here...

The Big Bang, Molly & Mike, Mom, Two Broke Girls, Two & Half Men etc. are loaded with raw potty jokes, as much for now the guidelines will allow...

Now Tinkrbl tell me, I noticed many of your post or replies all seem to be about nitpicking, btw we all have beliefs in something even it is non belief, there is always some kind ideas or concept that one adheres too or measuring stick...

It is impossible not too...

Respected Contributor

JAVA---last week I was watching Jeopardy which I had recorded. When it was over, the regular network channel came on and I let it stay on since I was finishing something in the kitchen. It was close to 9:00 p.m. and I did a double-take when the show that was ending used the word a-s-s-h___e twice and the show that started at nine was having some sort of discussion about sisters plying their father with wine and bedding him. I was so grateful that my children have made the decision that their children have very limited and closely monitored tv access .....plus they are in their rooms, on school nights, no later than 8:00 p.m......even the 16 yr old. There appears that there is nothing off limits.....
Respected Contributor

Danky Maybe what is needed is a rating like they do with movies... doubt it will help much when so many don't know which way is up!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 javala said:

Danky Maybe what is needed is a rating like they do with movies... doubt it will help much when so many don't know which way is up!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

WHAT ??? ....... EVERY television show has the rating at the very beginning, so you KNOW the review when the show begins, even if it was recorded, and played back later. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

There are very few adult shows that are G-rated ..... if that's what you are looking for, I would recommend PBS stations, TV Land, or TMC, which is all old movies. ..... Or, children's television shows.

If you want to watch current adult shows, then just make note of the ratings when the show starts. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}