Super Contributor

Re: The shows you used to love but had to quit watching

I've always thought Modern Family was funny until I watched the first show of this new season. Maybe it's just a one time thing. I didn't laugh at all, and something just seemed "off". Can't put my finger on it..... This may be one I drop.

Even though this is not exactly what the OP asked, there is a show that I thought would be hysterically funny, but I was so disappointed - 'Hot In Cleveland'. Such talented actresses - terrible writing. In fact, I don't care much for any of the TVLand new shows.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/27/2014 JackieBlue said:

I've always thought Modern Family was funny until I watched the first show of this new season. Maybe it's just a one time thing. I didn't laugh at all, and something just seemed "off". Can't put my finger on it..... This may be one I drop.

Even though this is not exactly what the OP asked, there is a show that I thought would be hysterically funny, but I was so disappointed - 'Hot In Cleveland'. Such talented actresses - terrible writing. In fact, I don't care much for any of the TVLand new shows.

I liked Hot in Cleveland at first, but the show has lost my interest. My faves are the episodes with Susan Lucci. I wish TV Land would go back to some of the older classics rather than creating & promoting their own new shows.

Honored Contributor

Mt DH loves to watch shows like Pickers and Mountain Men. I have honestly tried to watch them with him but just can't go there anymore. I go in the other room and watch something else or read a book.

Trusted Contributor

I've talked about this on this board in the past, but it's always very hard for me to cut the cord with shows I'm no longer enjoying, especially ones I've watched for years. Although recently I've gotten better at it. When you feel like a show has become a chore to watch it's best to be done.

So far I have cut the cord with Once Upon a Time, CSI (not the same after Grissom left), The Originals, Survivor and American Idol. Last week I cut the cord with The Good Wife.

I'm on the fence about Revenge and Bones and Grey's. And The Vampire Diaries, which used to be my favorite show back when it first started. My interest in Person of Interest is waning. The show is going in a different direction and I prefer the old style, a case a week and done. I don't care about the other machine and hate the Root character.

Under the Dome and The Following were easy cuts for me.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 wildcat fan said:
On 9/27/2014 JackieBlue said:

I liked Hot in Cleveland at first, but the show has lost my interest. My faves are the episodes with Susan Lucci. I wish TV Land would go back to some of the older classics rather than creating & promoting their own new shows.

ITA

Respected Contributor

The Young and the Restless - as of January 2014 (B.M. and M.M. gone)

CIS - due to L.Fisburne

NCIS - due to 'Bishop' character

Trusted Contributor

Boardwalk Empire (maybe 3rd season??) American Horror Story when it became Asylum. Real HW's of New York (can't recall what season) The Newsroom, Had one whole season (2nd I think) DVR'ed but ended up deleting it all. Real Time w/ Bill Maher. Bad Girls Club battle. Stupid! The Real World eons ago.
Super Contributor

I'm amending my list to include SNL, which just launched its 40th season on Saturday. What once was hilarious now is just sophomoric, often smutty and totally unfunny to me.

As for the musical guests, I'm officially beyond SNL's target demo. I've never even heard of 90% of the performers. Kudos to EP Lorne Michaels, who at 69 is older than I am, but remarkably he's still plugged into what younger audiences want to see and hear.

Honored Contributor

For SNL's first couple of 'generations' it was so great. I dropped off a very long time ago, but there sure was some classic stuff there, in the way past.

Who ever thinks a show will continue for 40 years, eh? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I heard Anthony Anderson say a lot of things that will happen on the show "Blackish" are actually things that happened to him in real life.

For instance, his son did come to him and want to have a Bar Mitzva (sp). He told his son it wasn't who they were and what they were about (meaning they weren't Jewish) so he let him have a Bro Mitzva (sp). He said his Jewish friends loved it.

I want to watch the show but it must come on during times of other shows I watch and DVR. I hope to catch up on it.

I really like Anthony Anderson. I think he's really funny.