Esteemed Contributor

I had watched the first few shows when the series  began but lost interest for the most part. I know that the main character transitioned from a boy to a girl. Now I'm seeing tons of ads for the show that maybe I'm misunderstanding. Now that Jazz is a girl the ads appear to make it look like she's gay and showing a romantic interest in another girl. Am I right about that? Or is the ad misleading? If that's a fact then boy am I confused about why she became a she. Maybe if I had watched the whole show I'd understand.

Regular Contributor

She was interested in a girl last season.  This season it looks like she is going to be dating a boy.  Sexual attraction is fluid and can change (not for me as I am only attracted to men).  I feel bad for Jazz since she has never experienced the big O and may never be able to.  Taking all those hormones at an early age messed that up.

Respected Contributor

The way I understand this:  Your gender is how you feel on the inside.  Do you feel like you are a male or a female, regardless of how your organs are on the outside.  Jazz's preferred gender is female.  Your s*xuality is who you are attracted to.  Male to male, male to female, etc.  So, Jazz's gender can be female, and she can have any s*xuality.   Hope this helps.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

The way I understand this:  Your gender is how you feel on the inside.  Do you feel like you are a male or a female, regardless of how your organs are on the outside.  Jazz's preferred gender is female.  Your s*xuality is who you are attracted to.  Male to male, male to female, etc.  So, Jazz's gender can be female, and she can have any s*xuality.   Hope this helps.

Yes @Peaches McPhee. Gender identity and s-xual orientation are two different things.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all. I think I've got a better handle on understanding it now. However, it does seem to me she was awfully young to make such life changing decisions. Had I been the parent I think I would have tried to be understanding but make her wait until she was at least 18 to undertake all this permanent change in gender identity. I do hope she's comfortable now with who she is and leads a happy life.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl  I've watched this series for a couple of years and it seems apparent that Jazz is denied nothing. Very indulged, especially by her mom. She can be pretty obnoxious and disrespectful, IMO, as well as full of herself. I do, however, hope she remains happy and does not regret her choice as she matures.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@tammysu  I'm only speculating but maybe she has experienced the big O and is shy about announcing it on national television. She hesitated when the Dr. asked her about it in the last show.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

This show fascinates me. I understand Jazz has been identifying herself as female since a very young age. As a parent to this child, I would try to be as understanding as I possibly could, but, I think I would have wanted to wait until that child was older to begin the hormones and other aspects of transgendering. 18 seems a bit young in my opinion to have the final step - the serious and complcated surgery. Also, I think they overdo it on the constant genatalia conversations!  It seems to really embarrass Greg, the Dad. 

I wonder what her given name at birth is? Don't think I've ever heard it mentioned. 

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

This show fascinates me. I understand Jazz has been identifying herself as female since a very young age. As a parent to this child, I would try to be as understanding as I possibly could, but, I think I would have wanted to wait until that child was older to begin the hormones and other aspects of transgendering. 18 seems a bit young in my opinion to have the final step - the serious and complcated surgery. Also, I think they overdo it on the constant genatalia conversations!  It seems to really embarrass Greg, the Dad. 

I wonder what her given name at birth is? Don't think I've ever heard it mentioned. 

@moon_gazer  I don't watch the show, but I believe her name is/was Jared. I don't like the idea of hormones at such a young age either.

Esteemed Contributor

I've watched all of the seasons of "I am Jazz" on TLC. You can probably catch up on each year by looking at IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4523638/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jazz had her bottom surgery this past June so this season's episodes are covering that aspect of her transitioning.