Respected Contributor

so I saw a cable listing for pappion,one of my favorite movies.just so happens this is a newer version.dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen were so awesome in this movie.big disappointment tonight

Honored Contributor

I assume this is a reference to 'Papillon'.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, as well.   I didn't even know there was a re-do of it.  Thanks for the review.   I think I will go ahead and avoid it.  The original was brilliant and it's hard to imagine anything else coming along that is even close.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

sorry for missing spelling.we also have the book at my library.my dad just finished it.also loved cool hand luke,Luke,with Paul newman

Honored Contributor

Back when I still worked I met a guy who worked for Steve McQueen.   The next time he came in he brought me an autographed photo of Steve from when he was in Papillon.   So cool!!  Smiley Happy

Papillon means butterfly in French.    I kind of wish I spoke French.  A lot of the crossword puzzles I do have French words.  I guess I'm slowly learning it.  Smiley Very Happy   I only spoke Spanish and German, so it's nice to learn new.

I didn't realize there was a book.  I bet that's really good, too.  

Funny how two of my all-time fav movies are prison movies - this one and Shawshank Redemption.  That is another brilliant piece.  Back when I first saw it I didn't even know it was a Stephen King story.

Esteemed Contributor

I really enjoyed the original Papillon with Steve McQueen.  About seven years ago I visited the prison on Devils Island ( really brought the movie to life).

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt Shawshank is one of my top ten favorite movies!!  Late DH and I watched it on cable and I watch it everytime it comes on.

I actually shocked my DH when I cheered at the point where Hadley and another guard beat up the prisoner who led the assault on Andy. DH said he was glad we didn't see it in a theater cuz he would have been embarrassed at my cheering!

As to Papillion, I NEVER watch remakes. I did once and it stunk. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I saw this newer version and  I give it a high rating. The actors were great , It's hard to imagine people being so cruel . Glade they gave more info at the end abt the real " Papillion  "  Henri Charrière   as portrayed  in  the 2017 film by actor  Charlie Hunnam.

Respected Contributor

oh ya,i forgot about shawshank.yes,that was another great film.remember green mile?tom hanks

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

oh ya,i forgot about shawshank.yes,that was another great film.remember green mile?tom hanks

You know, I've yet to see The Green Mile in its entirety.   I've come across it numerous times and seen short bits and I keep forgetting to seek it out and watch the whole thing.  Yeah, Tom Hanks is awesome so I could watch him in anything.  The other lead - the gentleman in prison whose name eludes me in this moment - he's also great.  Well, IIRC, the gentleman is gone now Smiley Sad but I really liked him.

Frequent Contributor

I thought Steve McQueen was great as Papillon.