Esteemed Contributor

I'm really looking forward to general release of "1917" (sure get that it'll be up for a slew of awards.  Planning on seeing it in Vegas so we can reserve a nice, full reclining seat!

Honored Contributor

Me too @patbz . It looks like it is going to be wonderful

Esteemed Contributor
My morning news entertainment reporter got me very excited for this movie, but it’s currently only playing at one theater. I have a ticket to see it on New Year’s Day; will see how I feel that morning - it’s a 30 minute walk to the theater and no way will I pay to park!!
Esteemed Contributor
It was a beautiful, brisk morning in Chicago, which made the 30 minute walk quite nice. A little upset with two things: (1) the theatre doesn’t consider hot dogs “breakfast food” and (2) I had no idea there were still theaters around here that did NOT have comfy reclining seats! It’s been years since I’ve been to this particular theater (River East) and I think it could use some refreshing.

But I think the movie lives up to the hype. I think the way it’s shot, which could be quite gimmicky, helps to make you feel like you are walking along with these soldiers and you don’t know what’s behind the next corner. The music really helps to build the tension - I assume it’s nominated for its soundtrack and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a top contender. It’s still a war movie and there are a lot of good ones out there. But I think many of you will like it and it wouldn’t bother me if it brought home any big prizes.
Respected Contributor

i went to this today -  quite gripping.  technically something else indeed. not sure it's my top contender for best movie though.  anyone else?

Honored Contributor

DH and I saw it last night. It's not the type of movie I usually like, but I like Sam Mendes movies. I thought it was great! The cinematography is amazing. The WW I details (uniforms, pictures, etc.) were precise. I learned a lot. None of my family fought in this war that I know of, but DH's one grandfather did as a very young man. His bugle hangs on our wall. The two young British actors who led the movie were superb in their roles. I believe one of them should be nominated for an award. And it had some twists and turns I wasn't expecting. I thought it was better than a lot of other "war" movies I've seen, and I do think it deserves to be nominated for - and possibly win - best picture! 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV    This thread was very easy to find.  I just put 1917 into the search function for the forums.