Respected Contributor

I had planned on seeing this one, but heard about the blantant stereotyping.

Not for me.

Occasional Contributor

I love this movie

Respected Contributor

Both my husband and I thought this was the best movie we've seen in a very long time.

I take what the extended family is complaining about with a grain of salt.  Tony Lip's son was one of the film's writers.  It is based on his memories and letters written by his father. It really has nothing to do with a cousin's recollections.

Esteemed Contributor

We enjoyed it too.  Great acting. Bittersweet. Sure showed the utter stupidity of certain things.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I just read about all the controversy surrounding this movie-yikes. Wasn't aware of that before.

Some people are saying that Roma didn't win because of Hollywood's resistance to Netflix.

@Greeneyedlady21   I'm a bit on the side of the controversy about it. I did see the film and  liked it, but had two immediate thoughts about it: (1) that I'd rather have seen a documentary about Harry Belafonte whom I've heard talk at length about how he wasn't allowed to stay at hotels where he was performing in the south.   I thought this film was a feel-good, Hollywoodized version of that kind of racial discrimination that went on, and I would have rather have seen a true, non-Hollywoodized version told to me (by Harry or someone else who experienced it firsthand), and (2) Some portions strained my credulity to be an audience pleaser, by perhaps exaggerating or making up events (and yes, I know that Lips son was one of the screenwriters).  Examples of this are the love letters really written by Dr. Shirley and the "feel good" he joins them at dinner at the end.  

I lived through this period in our history, and I absolutely believe the incident at the beginning of the film when Tony throws away the drinking glasses the black repairmen drank from.   I had a relative who would have done the same thing (horrible as it was).  Having lived through this era is why I agree with some of the criticism of the film, which is why I would have rather seen a true documentary rather than a "feel-good" version of it all.  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee I didn't live through that time period but my Mom told me so much about it. She was like a living history account, so much more vivid than studying it in school.

The criticisms of this movie, that it's a sanitized whitewashed version of extremely important civil rights issues, seem very valid to me. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Pearlee I didn't live through that time period but my Mom told me so much about it. She was like a living history account, so much more vivid than studying it in school.

The criticisms of this movie, that it's a sanitized whitewashed version of extremely important civil rights issues, seem very valid to me. 

Yes, I think the film is as you state the criticisms (thank you for articulating those).  

To hear Harry B. talk about his times performing back in those days in the south on tour is truly appalling and has a lot more emotional impact than the movie does, making a point about those times.

Honored Contributor

Ok, so I’m watchng the movie now.  I have about 40 minutes to go. 

I really, really don’t care for it. Like at all. But I’m going to see it through to the end. 

Everyone who posted before me on this thread loved it. Did anyone who saw it NOT like it?  Am I the only one?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Ok, so I’m watchng the movie now.  I have about 40 minutes to go. 

I really, really don’t care for it. Like at all. But I’m going to see it through to the end. 

Everyone who posted before me on this thread loved it. Did anyone who saw it NOT like it?  Am I the only one?

I can't say I didn't like it, but it was just OK.  Don't know why  it won Best Picture.  My husband felt the same.  So there are three of us lol

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy - I finished it a few minutes ago.  It got somewhat better, but once was more than enough for me on this movie. I didn’t think it would ever end.  Soooooo slow. 

a friend of mine watched it the other day and she and her husband liked it so much they watched it again the next night. No way. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?