Honored Contributor

Re: The last Days of John F. Kennedy Jr.

Very interesting column today in the NY Post by Maureen Callahan about this TV show.  The column's is billed as:  "TV Special Glosses Over the Truth ABout JFK Jr.'s Doomed Flight."

We aren't supposed to post links here so please see it for yourself on the NY Post site.  An exerpt from the column: 

"Also: that he had a new Piper Saratoga, a craft far too sophisticated for a beginner; that he was stressed over his failing magazine and his possibly troubled marriage; that he had less than an hour in the air at night without an instructor; that he wasn’t “instrument-rated,” meaning he was able only to pilot manually in clear weather; and that instead of hugging the lit-up coastline, flying from New Jersey to Hyannis, he went out over the dark ocean.

“How could this happen?” one friend asks in the special.

Really? How could it not?

It’s hard to imagine the Bessette family having to endure this narrative, told here yet again, as mythologically sad rather than what it was: homicidally negligent at best, criminal at worst."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee Most of that is in the NTSB report, which can be read online, and much of it is also in other publications more proximate to the event. The more one reads, the more one should begin to see that it was a huge mistake and while some don't want to attribute any aspect of the decision making process to carelessnes, wrecklessnes or arrogance, it really does seem that some of the above figured in... Regardless, it's a tragedy and while I liked what I saw of John, I'm not one who was convinced of his 'unlimited potential'... As for that flight, he was ill-prepared for it and shouldn't have undertaken it... As for the Besette family. no settlement could replace their daughters... That said, there was a fairly detailed piece in Vanity Fair that doesn't paint such a saintly picture of CBK... but rather, if even half the item is accurate, as noted before, a real piece of work... Not, mind you, that any of it makes their loss any less real...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Pearlee Most of that is in the NTSB report, which can be read online, and much of it is also in other publications more proximate to the event. The more one reads, the more one should begin to see that it was a huge mistake and while some don't want to attribute any aspect of the decision making process to carelessnes, wrecklessnes or arrogance, it really does seem that some of the above figured in... Regardless, it's a tragedy and while I liked what I saw of John, I'm not one who was convinced of his 'unlimited potential'... As for that flight, he was ill-prepared for it and shouldn't have undertaken it... As for the Besette family. no settlement could replace their daughters... That said, there was a fairly detailed piece in Vanity Fair that doesn't paint such a saintly picture of CBK... but rather, if even half the item is accurate, as noted before, a real piece of work... Not, mind you, that any of it makes their loss any less real...

How would you know that? You wouldn't. Basing your opinion on one article in a magazine about CBK and calling her "a real piece of work." Narrow minded and judgemental.