Honored Contributor

Re: The last Days of John F. Kennedy Jr.

@Pearlee wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

His flight instructor offered to fly with them but John Jr, declined the offer.

They would have been alright and able to land had he flown directly to Barnstable Hyannis . VFR is fine for evening flight if you stick to the shoreline where you can see the lights. The coast is clearly delineated.  He got into trouble flying over water where the horizon line vanished

@CatsyCline  I don't think that can be said with certainty. He would have had a better chance of seeing and not getting disoriented, but I don't think that was a sure thing at all.  I don't think the show presented that as a sure thing, but only as a better route to have taken (and therefore having a better chance about visibility by following the shoreline).

I'm not sure the show was the arbiter of perfect accuracy... As expected, there was clearly an effort to stir sentiments... Regardless, had he been properly trained and prepared, taken a different route or accepted the presence of a flight instructor the odds of a successful landing would have been greatly enhanced. Sadly, it is what it is...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Related image

I think she looked great here.  

But hated the ultra blond dye job, pale cheek and red lip.  She always looked sickly.  Her style was called minimalist back then complete with redness around the nose and over plucked eyebrows.  

The deep sadness of their death overshadowed by the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000 and the World Trade Center in 2001 and so much more in the years that followed.

Frequent Contributor

It doesn't surprise me to have read that Sarah Jessica Parker gave it a go throwing herself at JFK Jr wearing nothing under a fur coat in a meet and greet she had with him.  Wonder if it went as planned for her....  I kind of doubt it. While he had lots of women I think he had more class than that.  

Honored Contributor

According to what was reported on the show, the flight instructor was unavailable not that John declined his offer. Why would he?

It was also stated that the weather and visibility were clear. The experienced pilot that was interviewed had called three times and all three times was told the weather was clear.

Esteemed Contributor

I've read in a number of accounts that Carolyn did cocaine; that was not mentioned in this show.  All in all, very sad for Kennedy's and especially Carolyns family.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think it has to do with some arrogance and entitlement.  And yes, any pilot should have known better because he should have understood and accepted his level of skill and weighed that with the situation.  He took a lot of risks according to all the pilots who I've read that have spoken about it.  And worse, he risked the lives of others. 

And as the pilot, he should have driven up, taken a car up, chartered a flight, got an instructor along, etc.  His ego overcame common sense.  It's an all too often heard trait in this world.  What a shame.  

He made a lot of miscalculations in school, business, and things he did when you stop and think about it and hear some of the stories in the show last night.  

We are often blinded by someone's charisma, looks and position.  And often they are too.  But all in all, he cetainly was a nice guy with a tragic ending as so many in his family had.  Really seems like an epic novel doesn't it?  

NEITHER.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I've read in a number of accounts that Carolyn did cocaine; that was not mentioned in this show.  All in all, very sad for Kennedy's and especially Carolyns family.

@patbz  Interesting article from Vanity Fair ......

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2003/08/john-f-kennedy-jr-carolyn-bessette-divorce-drugs-scandal

Honored Contributor

He took a huge risk and paid the ultimate price. I feel so sorry for those two young ladies and their family. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

According to what was reported on the show, the flight instructor was unavailable not that John declined his offer. Why would he?

It was also stated that the weather and visibility were clear. The experienced pilot that was interviewed had called three times and all three times was told the weather was clear.

This. 

Also, I didn't realize he was friendly with Ann Coulter.  She worked at the magazine.  She doesn't seem to age, btw.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@patbz  Interesting article from Vanity Fair ......

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2003/08/john-f-kennedy-jr-carolyn-bessette-divorce-drugs-scandal

Interesting article and it rings true to me... I always had the sense that John was somewhat 'directed' by Jackie and so it's not surprising that he would attempt to both find a substitute, as many men do and, after Jackie's death, that he would attempt to go his own way. Apparently, in this instance, those two goals were not compatible... I never had the sense the CBK-John marriage would last... As for the coke use, lots of 'bright young things' were using it in the 80's, but not all of them became 'coke hoze'...

If this item is fully accurate, she sounds like a real piece of work... And, not to be mean-spirited, but while John always seemed like a sweet, if needy, man, he never seemed to be the brightest bulb in the lamp... It often seemed that many roads were paved for him... At the end of the day, paved roads will only take anyone so far, especially when one is compelled to take roads that were someone else's choice... Possible that Jackie should have let him do what he wanted to do (study drama) and date who he wanted to date... Things might have been very different... Also fascinating that, if true, in her efforts to help them end their estrangement, it might well have been her sister who ultimately brought things crashing down... literally...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...