Esteemed Contributor

Re: The last Days of John F. Kennedy Jr.

@threecees wrote:

I loved seeing the photos of John riding his bike around the city.

Can you imagine that today?

@threecees  During that time I rode some of the same places they showed in the special - I noticed the Brooklyn Bridge specifically..  But [as far I know]  never rode with John  John! HeartWoman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

By the way, just as I knew this wouldn't really be "The Last Days of...", it wasn't.  Of course they had his whole history in the show, for it to be two hours long.

Super Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I learned absolutely nothing new from the special last night.

I did observe contradictions.  They made a point of saying Jackie left the USA when she married Onassis, fearing people were killing Kennedys and worried for her children, but she spent the entire school year in NYC.  So she didn't leave the USA except for summer vacations. 

Even more contradictory as presented in the special, she feared people would want to kill her children.  Yet she didn't want John to become an actor but rather go to law school to prime him for politics?  A career in politics would make him much more likely to be the target of an assasin than any other career he could choose.   Also they made a point of saying Jackie taught her kids to think for themselves and follow their own drummer so to speak, yet she objected to Darryl Hannah as not a suitable girfriend (at the time he dated her) and she had objected to his pursuing acting as a  career (the former not mentioned in the special but the latter mentioned.

I agree ,I did not learn anything new either. I knew all this info. Agree w the contradiction too.  

Respected Contributor

His flight instructor offered to fly with them but John Jr, declined the offer.

They would have been alright and able to land had he flown directly to Barnstable Hyannis . VFR is fine for evening flight if you stick to the shoreline where you can see the lights. The coast is clearly delineated.  He got into trouble flying over water where the horizon line vanished

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

They would have been alright and able to land had he flown directly to Barnstable Hyannis . VFR is fine for evening flight if you stick to the shoreline where you can see the lights. The coast is clearly delineated.  He got into trouble flying over water where the horizon line vanished

@CatsyCline  I don't think that can be said with certainty. He would have had a better chance of seeing and not getting disoriented, but I don't think that was a sure thing at all.  I don't think the show presented that as a sure thing, but only as a better route to have taken (and therefore having a better chance about visibility by following the shoreline).

Honored Contributor

I watched, it was very sad. Hindsight is 20/20, he couldn't have known what would happen, they shouldn't have taken off, but they did. Had Jackie still been alive she probably would have talked him out of the flying lessons, as she had strong opinions about him flying.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@CatsyCline  I don't think that can be said with certainty. He would have had a better chance of seeing and not getting disoriented, but I don't think that was a sure thing at all.  I don't think the show presented that as a sure thing, but only as a better route to have taken (and therefore having a better chance about visibility by following the shoreline).

@Pearlee  Of course nothing is certain!   He had done that trip to Hyannis 17 times per the NTSB.  No indication he had made stops in MV during those other trips.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:@occasionalrain wrote:

We can't place the blame entirely on John. They had to wait for Carolyn who was late, John had to wait for Lauren to get off work before he could pick her up. Both sisters chose to go knowing the situation, had they insisted on waiting until the following morning, he would have waited.

On this, we'll have to agree to disagree. He should have known his limits. By all accounts, he was not a skilled pilot. He was not experienced and, as was reported, had not mastered the capacity to rely on instrumentation. The two women should not have needed to insist on waiting. He should have pulled the plug on their flight... They likely trusted that he knew what he was doing... An incredibly sad story...

@stevieb  ITA  He was the pilot and as such, should always err on the side of safety.  Ex flight attendant here.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I learned absolutely nothing new from the special last night.

I did observe contradictions.  They made a point of saying Jackie left the USA when she married Onassis, fearing people were killing Kennedys and worried for her children, but she spent the entire school year in NYC.  So she didn't leave the USA except for summer vacations. 

Even more contradictory as presented in the special, she feared people would want to kill her children.  Yet she didn't want John to become an actor but rather go to law school to prime him for politics?  A career in politics would make him much more likely to be the target of an assasin than any other career he could choose.   Also they made a point of saying Jackie taught her kids to think for themselves and follow their own drummer so to speak, yet she objected to Darryl Hannah as not a suitable girfriend (at the time he dated her) and she had objected to his pursuing acting as a  career (the former not mentioned in the special but the latter mentioned.

Prior reading shows up plenty of contradictions with regard to her perspectives on what was best for herself and her children. I suspect we all have contradictions in our natures, but there were apparently some rather glaring disconnects.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

By the way, just as I knew this wouldn't really be "The Last Days of...", it wasn't.  Of course they had his whole history in the show, for it to be two hours long.

@Pearlee My thoughts too... With no diesprect intended, there wasn't two hours of material to relate specifically about him much less his last days and hence they veered into the entire Kennedy-Jackie saga...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...